When does a Stratocaster become a Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bigreen505, Aug 18, 2021.

1. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Strat-Talker

Interesting combination @Chipss36 ! For me, this is an example of not a partcaster.

Btw, how does this guitar sound? I had once an EJ and I really disliked it... very, very thin and bright... always wondered if it was beacuase of the neck... I ended up selling it

2. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

When? Never. It's a Stratocaster whether you change 1 thing or everything. The whole "partscaster" bit is janky. I won't ever call my guitars that. Ever.

3. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Interesting perspective..........

So basically your saying that even if the neck is a genuine Fender Stratocaster neck and the body is a genuine Fender body it is no longer a Stratocaster??

I wonder what it is.......?

4. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

'but never be considered an authentic fender'.......

Are you sure about this?

5. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Pretty much yes....by the way its not my belief, i just report what iam seeing from the market(meaning everyone out there that buys and resells guitars).Even if you get lets say an Ej strat...break the neck for some reason and then replace it with a neck from the same exact EJ model,year,blah blah blah...its still considered a parts guitar.Thats how the majority is viewing things...

Intune and Andrew Wasson like this.
  6. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

But not an authentic fender - right??

Is this what you believe?

7. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

When someone wants to pay you SFA for it!

I agree with the consensus that if they’re genuine Fender bodies and necks then it’s a Strat. Of course I would be completely transparent if I were selling such a guitar but then I think you would likely make more if you sold one in bits.

8. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Well I completely disagree.

My guitar is an absolutely incredible Fender Stratocaster a hybrid of 2 parts.

A Fullerton 1982 neck and a Corona 1989 body.

Of course it's 100% authentic Fender Stratocaster.

I know the neck and body shipped separately but so what!

Big deal.

The necks and the bodies are made separately anyway!

Fender makes hundreds of necks and bodies separately and then they simply bolt them together. Thats what Leo designed them for!

You guys really do need to get to grips with what a parts caster and a genuine Fender product is.

Rodnich, STK66, Deniemeyer and 2 others like this.
  9. thegrasshopper

I agree! If neck and body are genuine Fender Stratocaster pieces, for me, is a Fender Stratocaster

STK66 and Bladesg like this.
  10. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

If you change the neck, at that point it's a partscaster. Beyond that is open to interpretation.

11. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Common sense prevails!

How could it be anything else other than a Fender Stratocaster.

thegrasshopper likes this.
  12. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-O-Master

If the body and neck don’t match what was assembled with either of these tags, then it would be considered a “non original” Stratocaster in terms of its authenticity.
    FF4F2328-14F2-4F00-ABB4-474151474418.jpeg 497DDDED-46CB-446C-88BB-0E9D02EB1B82.jpeg

You can call it wherever you like, but “non original” would be the legal term if you sold it to someone. So please go ahead and call yours a non original 82 Stratocaster with an 89 body or an 89 Stratocaster with an 82 neck.

13. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Or I could just choose to call it a Hybrid.

I certainly wouldn't advertise the guitar for sale as 'non original' - yikes!

If you were buying a guitar that was advertised as having a Fullerton 82' neck and an 89' Corona body I think you would work out the neck and body didn't leave the factory at the same time so adding 'non original' to the description is unwarranted in MHO.

sisq61 likes this.
  14. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

When does a Stratocaster become a Partscaster?

Soon after I buy it.

Or.....as many others said, once the neck and body that were paired at the factory are split up. Everything up until that point is a modification.

guitar.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    drp146 and thegrasshopper like this.
  15. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

If you replace your worn American Standard with a new neck, it is a Fender guitar with a replacement neck. USACG and other companies are licensed by Fender to sell "replacement" necks. Once you start changing lots of other parts then you have a heavily modified Fender that should probably be considered a "partscaster".

16. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Hallelujah!

17. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

This is an ancient thought experiment. Plato was very much concerned about the resale value of his Strat - ahem partscaster - too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

a guitar becomes a parts guitar when a worker takes one part and screws it to another,. . . actually it doesn't become a guitar until the last part is screwed on, and it gets a setup so it CAN be a guitar.. untill then, it's just a collection of parts that have been assembled together..

r

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Black59, dogletnoir and Parksie like this.
  19. thegrasshopper

What are we talking about? Selling descriptions? what do we consider a Fender Stratocaster?

Obviouslly, for selling purposes, one can't say its a factory Fender Stratcaster and the ad can't be deceiving. For instance, a Custom Shop body with an American Original 50s neck can not be sold as a Custom Shop guitar.... IMHO, just giving an accurate description of each pice is enough. But for me, is a Fender Stratocaster

Also, it is true that a Fender Stratocaster made from different genuine Fender Stratocaster pieces might loss some resale value... but it depends on each piece... imho

For instance, I launch a question: how would you pay for a Custom Shop body + American Std. Neck? I guess below an used factory Custom Shop and above an used factory American std.

Parksie likes this.
  20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

If we're talking about selling descriptions, . . . calling it "whatever" is meaningless.. what counts is Full Disclosure.. if you replaced the neck say so, if you replaced the chrome plated Steel Screws with Stainless, say so.. if you scrubbed the back of the neck to make it satinesque, say so... if you gutted the electronics and replaced them with some magic marvelous whatever, say "blanking" so...

and None of what i Just described is covered by, "upgraded to improve playability"... Tell people whatcha did...

r

Black59, Brucegomb, drp146 and 4 others like this.