When does a Stratocaster become a Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bigreen505, Aug 18, 2021.

1. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

We could but I'm not sure if Fender has an official definition of the term "Partscaster". They will probably think that we got really drunk and had nothing better to do.

But now that you got me thinking about it, I think you have a good point. So original Blackie is a Partscaster but all Custom Shop replicas of Blackie are original "Fender Stratocasters"? How does that make sense? :confused:

They must be called "Original Fender Partscasters"?? We may never know.

thegrasshopper and Intune like this.
  2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Let’s try this.

stratosphere.com

-55 custom shop body
    -55 custom shop neck
    -55 custom loaded pickguard
    Fender pure vintage parts to complete my now 55 Strat

For sale, 55 custom shop Strat with COA, no case. $4500? Any takes, it’s legit fender

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Me too.. butI didn't write.. I asked the then legal dept head, Mark Van Vleet in a conversation... He was a very pleasant guy, but, don't waste your time.. it doesn't matter what kinda rationale you want to discuss, you aren''t getting the answer you want.

r

thegrasshopper likes this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

For me, the trouble is when a guitar goes for sale on the used market. There is such an over abundance of Fender guitars on the used market, I think a guitar that has had the neck switched out is at a disadvantage.

Generally, I think people want a stock guitar because they feel more confidence in the people who put it together at Fender than you or me, even though we may have mad guitar tech skills. …Or if they do want a particular combination, they don’t want just any combination. They might want an EJ body with an SRV neck or some 50’s reissue with a 60’s neck. It’s going to be specific so unless your parts guitar is super low priced or the exact combination a special buyer is looking for, it might not sell for a long while.

What really bothers me is the guitar that’s advertised as a Fender model xxx Strat or Telecaster and it’s got a 3rd party neck. Sorry, no longer a Fender model xxx. Even with a quality Muscraft, Warmoth, Allparts, etc… neck that’s better than Fender’s, it is no longer a Fender.

drp146, Neil.C, Bladesg and 3 others like this.
  5. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

it is a home brew partscaster made of fender parts, because "your" model does not exist at fender.

"your" model only exists in your shop and you are not authorized by the state of california to produce fender stratocasters.

show me in the blue or black book of guitar values where "your" model is, all "real" fender strat models are listed but i can not find "yours".

drp146, Neil.C, pn8830 and 6 others like this.
  6. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Strat-Talker

LOL... btw, I'm not drunk and I should be doing some other stufff.. but here we are... discussing about guitar metaphysics :D

7. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

Spot on. There is also a psychological factor I think, at least I can relate to it. People want to have something genuine. There is some gratification or pride in owning a "real thing".

Honestly I love partscasters. More guitar for less money is good. If it is solid, plays and sounds well - I'll take it.. even if it has wear. What I don't like is something built out of substandard parts being presented as "sort of genuine" but you can weed these out quickly.

8. Intune

You’re actually starting to get delusional about this whole thing. You bought a guitar thinking it was 100% legit Fullerton made. It turned out not to be so you can call whatever you have 100% fender Stratocaster to whoever you want. Tell the entire world what you have. That’s awesome, no one really cares. Only one time will you or anyone care and that’s when the sad day comes to sell it. You’re “hybrid” genuine fender PARTS guitar will only be worth what the parts are.

Yours one of those specific mass ups. If anyone and I mean anyone that knows anything about Strat’s looks at yours and immediately knows somethings up. You didn’t and bought it because of the story behind it, cool. Own it and call it whatever you want. Enjoy it. It sure is nice. It’s just not original in any way.

Neil.C and pn8830 like this.
  9. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

Well, that is essentially a definition of partscaster. It's still a Stratocaster in the sense of guitar breed, just not original. Suppose a Stratocaster has a soul. You could say that the soul is identified by the serial number. Does the soul live in the neck, or the body, or the neck plate:confused:? If you separate them where does the soul go?

10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

And herein lies the issue.

Clapton does it and everybody still calls it a Strat.if I do it, everybody calls it partscaster.

So how exactly does that work?

11. Intune

It’s Clapton? I do get what you’re saying though. It doesn’t really make any sense. It’s just you cannot sell anything these days without someone checking serial numbers to be sure it’s authentic. Which is a good thing. However the story behind that guitar and other alike that famous players have put together will always hold value.

I think with the blackie Strat it was still considered a 50’s Strat. When he put that Strat neck on a tele body, people started to notice.

drp146 likes this.
  12. Intune

Oh there’s also a member in another thread that bought a 2020 players series Strat off reverb, $450.

Turns out it appears to have a 2020 standard neck on a older pre 2017 standard body. Both fender parts though. So maybe you pro fender parts guys can inform him it’s ok, it’s still a fender Strat.

dirocyn, Neil.C and Guitarmageddon like this.
  13. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Clapton did it to play. He wanted to make the best player out of the 3 he bought. He was not concerned about resale. Why would he be, any thing he touches is going to have an incredible resale value. It’s still a Stratocaster, it’s just not original. It’s now a partscaster Stratocaster. Partscaster is the definition used to describe a Stratocaster that is no longer original parts. How else would you define a guitar that no longer uses its original parts?

drp146, Neil.C, Andrew Wasson and 2 others like this.
  14. NoIDeer

NoIDeer Strat-Talk Member

It's a funny debate/conversation. I think most everyone who has attributed to this thread would agree that you can go into a shop and play 15 different guitars of the same model and there will be "the right one". That one, for you, has a higher value than the other 14. It's up to the individual to decide what that value is. Assuming the whole ends up being greater than the sum of its parts, is what matters and that will vary for most individuals.

So, that being the case, why does it matter? It doesn't, unless you are selling it as something that it's not. The only time I think that it truly matters is in the collectors/vintage world. Otherwise, as Ronkirn said, list what you did. I think it's fine to claim that you think it improved the playability, but I think if you really think it's something special, you would have to say something along the lines of, "you have to play this one to truly appreciate it".

pn8830 and thegrasshopper like this.
  15. BRhat

BRhat Strat-Talk Member

I bought a beautiful MIM Fender '60s Strat neck to build a guitar around. I bought a Fender '60s body, a '62 Fender mint green pickguard, all Fender electronics. A Fender bridge, saddle and bridge screws. A Fender neck plate and screws. Fender claw and springs. Fender off white plastics. I figured if your gonna do it...then do it. Turned out pretty good too. It's a Fender...

16. msbrech

msbrech Strat-Talk Member

It does make for an interesting thought experiment. But I suppose unless Fender itself comes out with an official policy on the matter, it's all probably going to be relative.
    And in any case, keep in mind that some of the most legendary guitars of all time might technically be considered partscasters. EVH's Frankenstrat would be considered a partscaster. The Black Strat could be considered a partscaster. How many other professional musicians have torn apart their instruments to put in the hardware that suits them?
    But it is sort of fun to think about what makes a Strat a Strat.

drp146 likes this.
  17. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

By this logic, some of the most famous Fender Stratocasters in history are not really Fender strats. Even though Fender has endorsed these players and made copies of these guitars in the custom shop. I strongly doubt anyone at fender would ever say "Number 1" or "Blackie" was not a fender strat. Even more interesting is Fender has endorsed and copied fakes and non-fender strats for players. It seems to me even Fender cares less about this than some on this forum. lol

18. Intune

The only time I’d ever care is when I’m buying or selling. Nothing else really matters.

Any of you guys think it would be awesome to spend $10k-$15k on say a 60’s Strat to find out it’s a bunch of fenders parts put together from different years. I bet there would be hell to pay to whoever sold you that. It’s still a fender Strat though?

drp146, Neil.C and Andrew Wasson like this.
  19. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Intune, Im always happy for you to contribute and comment on anything I post, however, I'm not comfortable with you implying that I'm starting to become delusional so next time please try and keep it civil.

Now to clear a few things up.

FYI, the guitar I purchased was advertised for sale as an '1988 Fender Stratocaster 62' re-issue' so at no time did I think it was a Fullerton made guitar.

I thought it was a 1988 Fender Stratocaster 62 re-issue.

Also, for the record here, if I was ever to put my guitar on the market I would 100% disclose the fact that this guitar comprises an authentic Fender 57' neck made in Fullerton in August 1982 and an authentic Fender 89' body made in the Corona factory.

Why would I try and hide this fact. It's unique and valuable.

Also, for your reference and everyone else's here on the forum I had a look on line and found that in the dictionary the word original means the following;

: being the first instance or source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is or can be made

So according to the dictionary unless you have a 1962 or a 1957 manufactured guitar you have a copy!

Every re-issue Fender ever produced should be referred to as a copy. None are original.

Also, I never used the word original.........I used the word authentic.

:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  20. Intune

Hey @Parksie again I’m sorry for name calling. I wasn’t going to say anything because I know it’s you that gets offended by the term “partscaster”.

It’s just you started stomping your feet so I felt like I should chime in.

You definitely have a killer Strat, fender Strat at that. We also know you thought it was legit and tried your hardest to prove it. I would too. Yes you have a authentic fender Strat, hybrid as you call it because it does sound better than that dirty partscaster word.

Still in the real world of buying, selling and trading if can’t say you have a authentic 57 fender Stratocaster and start listening parts, what do you have? A hybrid or a gross disgusting partscaster?

Even in your case with a fender 57 neck and complete 62 fender body, a hybrid. I’d love to be answering those questions if ever listed for sale. No matter how rare and valuable you think it is, it’s just not a 57 Strat.

Neil.C likes this.