When does a Stratocaster become a Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bigreen505, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

At the end of the day my guitar is a mix of neck and body made by the best in the business both American Vintage series.

As I said in my last post according to the dictionary original means the very original item - all others that come later in their likeness are copies.

Just like artwork.

So I own a beautiful classic Fender stratocaster guitar which is a copy of the original 57' neck and a copy of the original 62' body.

I’m very comfortable with this.

Just don’t call it a partscaster :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Intune likes this.
  2. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

if i build a frankenstein fender partscaster and list it for sale as a known fender stratocaster model - that is fraud.

if a rock star plays their frankenstein it creates revenue for fender.

drp146 and Bob the builder like this.
  3. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

As soon as you change the strings, it is no longer original off the shelf…:)

4. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Everyone likes a few pics.......:)

IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0870.JPG

drp146, pn8830 and Intune like this.
  5. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-O-Master

[QUOTE="Parksie, post: 4447761, member: 79382 View attachment 501762 [/QUOTE]
    I’ve never really paid attention to how the “Stratocaster” script really differentiates on those 80s models. Recently saw this 89-90 Strat Plus and was really thrown when I saw the font of the “Stratocaster”
    427C328A-4054-4B08-B4B9-DFD50F4487DB.jpeg

Parksie likes this.
  6. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

100%. If someone makes a fake guitar and sells it as real that's VERY wrong and is absolutely fraud. But, I have to imagine most partscasters(at least the ones we would discuss on this forum) were not built to fake an existing model. Building a guitar to meet your personal specs and building a fake to sell are two very different things. What irks me is how many people seem to lump them into the same category. I think alot of unnecessary stigma around partscasters gets created by people conflating the two.

Andrew Wasson and Intune like this.
  7. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I’ve never really paid attention to how the “Stratocaster” script really differentiates on those 80s models. Recently saw this 89-90 Strat Plus and was really thrown when I saw the font of the “Stratocaster”
    View attachment 501768 [/QUOTE]

When I first encountered this logo I actually thought it was a fake!

In any case if you do an internet search of Fullerton 1982 strats you will see they are all like this.

8. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-O-Master

When I first encountered this logo I actually thought it was a fake!

In any case if you do an internet search of Fullerton 1982 strats you will see they are all like this.[/QUOTE]
    I know what you mean, for some reason those years the Fender and Stratocaster logo were not in the same plane. It actually sits up higher than what would normally be on the headstock.
    15D3052E-4DE4-4FC5-9AA8-EFC86DB6B48C.jpeg 20C43A49-470F-44A6-A72F-5221BC4E700D.png

9. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

This is how I feel too. The term partscaster gets a bad rap because of those shady deals where someone got fooled. So I can see where that could hurt to hear.

Ongo Gablogian likes this.
  10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

The same way you define anything else. How about cars as a single exmple? Right. They're call "modified". Just like the VM line of Vintage Modified. How about anything else? It's called modified. Or modded. There was no need to invent the word partscaster. A word already existed that defined those guitars perfectly.

Its a modified Strat. Or a modified Tele. Or modded Jag, Mustang, P bass, J Bass, etc...

Partscaster is a made up term to replaced modified.

And still, nothing you posted addressed my, question. How is it that its a Strat when Clapton does it but if I do it, everybody except me calls it a partscaster when the 2 guitars are the exact same things. Modified Strats. What you all call, partscaster. Except nobody calls Claptons guitars partscaster. And your post didn't address that whatsoever. Because he's a professional? That's no reason.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  11. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Not sure why you have such an attitude about that. This is at least twice that I've seen you post this. It actually is a Fender Strat. It's just a modified Fender Strat. Just like Claptons lol. Nobody has an issue calling his guitar a Strat even though the neck was a different year than the body. So, what's the difference? The seller could've easily listed that, it was a modified Strat with a different neck and still been in the right to say it's a Fender.

Its still a Chevy if you put an engine you built in it. The same applies here. It's still a Strat. It's just been mod9fed from oem/factory condition.

Man, I'd hate to see some of you in the automotive world lol. Where they literally mod everything on their cars and still call them Chevy Corvettes and Ford Mustangs and Dodge Vipers, etc...

datsunrobbie and Parksie like this.
  12. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

To answer a question about my post, its annoying me that I can build a guitar from parts that plays and sounds as good as any Fender made product. I am using custom shop woods and parts yet my creation is worth far less than the one billy juan jimbo made as a fender employee.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

When you get it wet or feed it after midnight.

dirocyn and Skinny Nitro like this.
  14. train

train Fender 1 —the met. Silver Member

Just a term to quickly identify a Stratocaster that has mismatched parts. I never see sellers use it. . So it’s mostly an internet term I guess.

Neil.C and Intune like this.
  15. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I know what you mean, for some reason those years the Fender and Stratocaster logo were not in the same plane. It actually sits up higher than what would normally be on the headstock.
    View attachment 501789 View attachment 501790 [/QUOTE]

Here are a few images showing more of the 1982 decal.

For some reason they are all like this.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 4.56.50 pm.png

8a8d9d_6c708b7e61204bd8b894979e9fc23575~mv2.jpg Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 1.58.19 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.55.07 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 5.46.28 pm.png

16. Olddudeinbasement

Olddudeinbasement New Member!

I wouldn't overcomplicate things. My opinion is if it still has the Strat sticker on the headstock, no matter what you do, it's a partscaster.

17. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Fender sells bodies. Not just licensed... but made in their factory. Fender sell necks. Same deal. They have Fender logos on them. If you put a Fender body on a Fender neck it's a Fender guitar. It might be a partscaster, but it's a Fender partscaster. If you put Fender pickups in it, then it's definitely a Fender guitar.

The guitar on my lap is a Mex Deluxe body with a Fender American neck and Fender MIM pickups. The only thing not Fender on it is the pickguard... I mean even the tuners, strap, cable, neck plate, bridge, pots, control plate, switch, knobs and screws are Fender. The capo has a Fender logo on it. I think at least one of the strings is Fender.

Is it a Stratocaster? No. Because it's a Tele.

But its two brothers... which also have Fender American Necks, Fender MIM bodies, a least 2 out of 3 Fender pickups (The HSS in my thumbnail pic has a JB in Warmoth tort guard), and Fender hardware ... those are Strats. They're not factory Strats... but there's nothing else they could be. None of them have kept the identity of the donor instruments. So they're partscasters. But they're also Strats.

If Eric Clapton can pull apart three Strats and assemble them into one and call it a Strat, so can anybody else.

My other Tele with a MIM Fender neck on Warmoth body with SD pickups and a Gotoh bridge? Definitely not a Fender. And that one does have Fender Bullets on it.

I think the main point is don't pretend something is something other that what it is. Be upfront... and really.. who cares if it's a partscaster or not?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  18. jrock7500

jrock7500 Strat-Talk Member

I agree 100% I have a fender custom shop 68 body with a 62 avri neck and all the hardware and electronics from a 62avri. All fender American parts. It’s a strat. A fender Strat. When non fender parts are used then you can call it a partscaster.

Parksie likes this.
  19. dhrose

dhrose New Member!

In my opinion, "partscaster" is an inappropriate and sort of ugly term that in no way describes the guitars I've built with warmoth necks and bodies... I scan their website daily for the best lightweight, beautiful grained bodies, quartesawn necks to my specs... then I assemble with the best parts I can find. I am meticulous, and a good solderer. Having built a number of these guitars, I would in no way refer to my favorite "S" style guitar as anything other than a strat. Odd that Fender assembles parts to make a "S" style guitar but their $299. Guitar is a strat. Hmmm...

revtime likes this.
  20. davidrconnell

davidrconnell Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I would say (being guilty of personalising my MK Strat), it's what you want it to be.
    The only important issue that has already been covered is, absolute openness and honesty is required when the instrument is going to be sold.
    Personally I have kept EVERY single item from the original build by Fender and all those parts would have to go with the guitar when it is sold.

drp146 likes this.