When does a Stratocaster become a Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bigreen505, Aug 18, 2021.

1. dvto2

dvto2 Strat-Talk Member

My 2015 American Standard Tele needed new frets. $400 in my area by an experienced technician. The original was maple and I really like rosewood and wanted jumbo frets so I found a mint rosewood performer neck for $375. I still have the original neck but figured I could sell it to get some money back.

I realized a liked jumbo frets cause I had just bought Tele Deluxe that had a refretted rosewood neck from an American Professional Tele. The frets were supposed to be medium jumbos but they were jumbos. I could have made a fuss with the reverb seller but I loved the neck and frets so much I was greatful for the mistake. Both are partscasters I guess but they are the guitars I want to play.

Attached Files:

drp146 and Intune like this.
  2. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Eric Clapton's "Blackie" was, supposedly, assembled using a selection of neck and body chosen from three different Strats.

From wikipedia:

The same year, Clapton found the Sho-Bud guitar shop in Nashville, Tennessee. He bought six 1950s Stratocasters for two or three hundred US dollars each. After giving one each to George Harrison, Pete Townshend, and Steve Winwood, he took the best parts of the remaining three (built c. 1956 and 1957) and Nashville luthier Ted Newman Jones assembled "Blackie", so named for its black finish.

And:

In 2004, Blackie was sold for 959,500 USD at a Christie's auction to support the Crossroads Centre, a drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation centre founded by Clapton.

One heck of a price for a Partscaster...

3. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

Every Strat is a partscaster by design. My (likely) all original 58 pre CBS has a 4/58 neck and body. That is dumb luck and seemed to have happened somewhat frequently during that month. The reason for that wouldn’t be because they didn’t want to sell a “partscaster” but likely that’s what was in the bin at the time.
    The dates on my custom shop Strat are several months apart. Forget what it was because it has no relevance. I know the CS model came from Fender that way because I bought it brand spanking new. Otherwise there is no way of knowing.
    But I’ve swapped pickups and wiring and pick guard on that one. So it’s a partscaster. Sue me.

albala likes this.
  4. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Man... the buyer is gonna be pissed....

ThreeChordWonder and NoIDeer like this.
  5. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

partscasters are ok (my fingers want to type hateful), but its their owners who try and resell them for stupid asking prices that makes me stabby

6. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It’s a partscaster as soon as you replace the neck.

stylemessiah, drp146, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  7. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talker

When the Fender Lounge Forums was running this debate was entertained. At that time, one of the people I commuted with daily was a trademarks and intellectual properties attorney, highly respected in his profession. He represented Muhammed Ali, among other well-known brands. I put the question to him. To make a long story short, model types and year notwithstanding, if the guitar is not stock as it left the factory, it cannot legally enjoy the name 'Stratocaster'. This rises out of a case wherein cell phones were remanufactured/refurbished with a component which was not original stock and the court ruled that it could not be identified as its former self by name/brand. YMMV!

8. randallk5

randallk5 New Member!

Simple answer is :IF the replacement "FENDER" parts are authentic period correct FMIC parts and installed by a Certified FMIC Tech ..then it is still a "Factory Guitar" no matter what upgrades are done..i.e. pups ,pickguard,pots etc... IF one uses off brand parts and cobbled together by owner or the guitar guy down the street "un-certified techs", the instrument becomes a "Parts Caster"..It may be a Fantastic Build but still and all Parts Caster at resale.

drp146 likes this.
  9. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Strat-Talker

Here Fender's answer:

[​IMG]Should we conclude here the discussion?

drp146, Neil.C, pn8830 and 4 others like this.
  10. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i agree.

i am a total modder, customizer make it for you guy, i am just trying to get better at guitar, am not a guitar seller and i have only had strat type partscasters myself.

when my father saw my classic series 60's tele for the first time he thought i bought a 60's tele...

in the mid 90's i had a friend bid on an autographed "strat". he thought all "strats" were valuable and figured the guitar was worth more than he bid ! but he bid on a $99 squier and had no idea what a squier is ...

the problem is only at time of sale, some folks are shady and some folks do not know what they are looking at so they do not know the values.

drp146 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  11. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talker

So I have a 1986 AVRI 52 TELECASTER and just upgraded the neck to a limited edition 52 custom shop telecaster neck.
    It may be a partscaster, but damn it is nice.

drp146, Andrew Wasson and Parksie like this.
  12. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

Must have Original Neck and body from factory. Period ! replace either with another Fender part and yes it is still a Fender Strat but NOT an original Fender Strat as built ! Car analogy ::: 1957 Chevy Belair 2 door with matching numbers for frame, engine etc. value $50,000. Same Car with different motor, still a 57 Chevy but now valued at 35,000 because it's Not original as built, even if you used an exact engine. it's a carparter

drp146, Neil.C and henderman like this.
  13. meat cheese meat

meat cheese meat Strat-Talk Member

Thursday at midnight.

crawdaddy likes this.
  14. meat cheese meat

meat cheese meat Strat-Talk Member

That should do it. But it didn't.

15. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

This guy is a Fender sales rep!

Is he even qualified to make this statement??

:cool:

thegrasshopper likes this.
  16. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Strat-Talker

It seems the discussion is not going to end here... :D

Neil.C and Andrew Wasson like this.
  17. Fatstratman

Fatstratman Strat-Talk Member

Hi!
    It SEEMS to me that the single most identifier on any guitar is the neck, usually having the brand name logo, serial number and any other obvious identifying markings. Often there might be some in the body cavity but chances are slim yo none that the average person is going to want to hear down an instrument just to see what's in the body cavity. I should think that your best idea would be to do whatever it is you'd like to do with yourself, but hold on to your original neck with its markings, etc. for any kind of provenance, especially with an original sales receipt indicating the same serial number, etc.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  18. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Let’s be honest!

That was a pretty big statement on Fender letterhead that said unless the neck and body ship together they can’t even be called Stratocaster’s!

That surely can’t be correct.

I’d like to see that from a senior Fender exec not a sales rep!

19. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

If I buy on the internet a original Stratocaster and it arrives and it has parts from a different year or model then I return it as a partscaster.

drp146 likes this.
  20. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

Delete

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021