When does a Stratocaster become a Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bigreen505, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

What’s incomplete about what fender said? Oh and Gibson necks don’t unbolt so why would they have the horrible problem of what to call around that’s had it’s neck replaced by Joe Blow

2. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

how about a 59 Strat with a 58 neck? Hint: they did leave the factory like that sometimes.

3. GerryBlue

GerryBlue Strat-Talk Member

To me, if the two main parts (neck and body) are Fender, then it is a Fender, no matter that they didn't leave the factory together. Funny, two of the most expensive guitars ever sold (Blackie and Gilmour's Black) would be partcasters, but you never hear anyone, even from Fender, calling them that.

edwarc, albala and Parksie like this.
  4. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

To me they are all Strats.

bigreen505 and Maplelover like this.
  5. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

9 pages guys? :DWow

6. Maplelover

Maplelover Strat-Talker

It's yours, do what you NEED to do to make it playable. Like Robert Lockwood Jr. told me 30 years ago,
    "You think those people at that third table back give a s*it what you playin' ?" Seems just guys on here are all owning some holy grail and are in a basement in Omaha trying to dictate the Clarence Leonidas Fender Doctrine Magna Carta of ownership.
    That $1400 Stratocaster will get you $800 on Ebay/Craigs List , treat it with kid gloves, better yet put it on a stand and gaze at it, send photos to like minded

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  7. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Well I got up this morning and decided to play that thing in the case which looks a lot like a Fender Stratocaster but clearly it's not because its not original, not authentic and plainly just a pretender of an original guitar that is allowed to be called a Fender Stratocaster.

I've now scratched off the logo on the headstock as its not worthy of the proud Fender name any more.

To be honest my guitar deserved this and had it coming as it's been impersonating an original factory shipped Fender Stratocaster since the neck and the body were very sadly bolted together by the unwashed hands of an authorised Fender dealer in 1989!

Can you believe that!

All those years of imposterising!!

The cheek of it!

In any case the good news is and for those concerned this guitar has been dealt with accordingly and thus there is one less Fender pretender in the world!

Cheers from Sydney!

:D

8. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I don’t necessarily consider a partscaster being a derogatory term.

I call my telecaster a parts guitar because the body was an unfinished pine body made in Alberta and the neck is MiC EBay neck. One pickup is fender, the selector and TBX are also fender. I’ve got another under construction, scratch built. I’ll call that a custom build because a buddy and I made the neck and body.

If I build a strat with a 59 neck and a MIJ 60’s reissue body, I’ll call it a partscaster. It’s something people in our circles will understand. It would of course be awesome because with these guitars, the setup is 80% of what makes Fender guitars awesome.

Neil.C, drp146 and Intune like this.
  9. slumpy

slumpy Strat-Talk Member

My thoughts exactly Dave.

10. slumpy

slumpy Strat-Talk Member

I have a few that are, the parts all came from the right place and the within one or two of the right year, nothing is US & MIM, but they are all partscasters, and all pretty awesome.

In fact, today I'm giving my mate a MIM Strat we built together ten years ago for his birthday, and he won't question where the parts came from, I'm sure!

Bob the builder likes this.
  11. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

This is simply not true. I really have a hard time understanding how people don’t grasp that if a neck and body don’t leave the factory bolted together, it’s a partscaster.

Blackie and the Black Strat are referred to as such because they have their own names. They are still partscasters, but because of their mystique most people refer to them by their names/ brand names. Had they been owned by anyone else, they would simply be partscasters, and the value would drop accordingly.

Andrew Wasson, Neil.C, drp146 and 2 others like this.
  12. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

When any one of the original parts has been swapped. There, I settled it for you.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

The "purist" will have to factory as sacred, and to the extent of a factory build having a combination of parts to produce a specific voice, there is a lot of truth in that. But knowing what to expect from a body material, a neck formula, hardware material, electronics and pickups can liken it to building a Hot Rod engine that's your formula. In the middle, while I do like it to say "Fender" on the headstock of my Strats (not a knock-off decal), I'm not married to it. I do have a spread, and love them all.

14. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

If you are not famous, no one(other than people on this forum) will care that your guitar is partscaster. And, if you are famous, no one(other than people on this forum) will care that your guitar is a partscaster. So, the point is no one cares, and the key to inner peace is to never ask guitar-related questions on this forum.

Parksie likes this.
  15. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

^ Ok:thumbd:
    For most people a partscaster or frankenstrat will have lower value than a MN the day you want to sell it.

Andrew Wasson and drp146 like this.
  16. SonOfLerome

Again not really true. Anyone who is buying your guitar will care, because a partscaster significantly lowers the monetary value. Not a worst guitar, just a worse resale value.

Andrew Wasson, Neil.C, ptb1 and 2 others like this.
  17. SonOfLerome

ain’t any issue with having the fender logo on the headstock mate. problem comes when you act like the neck and the body originated together, or were some kind of *hybrid*.

Andrew Wasson and Neil.C like this.
  18. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

What does the "purist" do when a string gets broken then?

What air does a Ferrari owner put in his tires? Specially bottled and imported from Marinello?

OTOH a long time ago I worked with a guy who owned a completely original (except oil, tires, air in tires, etc.) Vincent Black Lightning. It was off the road for years because he couldn't find an original kickstart return spring.

19. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

When it comes down to it, it's all about honesty.

If I were to sell one of my MIMs (yeah, okay...), I would describe it as an upgraded 2020 Fender Player (MIM) model. Original body and neck, matching seriel numbers, plus the following upgrades...

I'd also say for the right (extra) money I would put it back to 100% stock. Not necessarily the same stock parts, but indistinguishable. If you REALLY think Fender have 100% material traceability, boy are you in for a shock!

If the buyer then tried to sell it on as Eric Clapton's spare, I'm not to blame.

OTOH none of my DIYs contain any logo-bearing parts, except for the genuine SD pickups. Some of the parts actually are Fender branded (or at least Fender packaged, bought in), but none bear Fender logos.

20. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

Not every guitar is for sale.

Parksie, Bob the builder and Cerb like this.