When is too much gear too much

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by bluesman1956, Jul 2, 2021.

1. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

I know this is going to ignite a debate but I’ve seen posts throughout the web where the posts show a ridiculous amount of guitars,amps and other gear. The likes being of a music store or a professional touring musician. What do you do with 30, 40 or 50 plus guitars? I had a large collection and decided to downsize. I only bond with just a few these days and I’d rather see the ones I don’t play go to someone that would appreciate them more. I guess to each his or her own but I see this as pointless and possibly a disorder not to say the space needed to store them.

savofenno, DaMasta, Archtops and 9 others like this.
  2. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

I can buy guitar gear or I can by crack - one is a much healthier hobby. Sure I have guitars that don’t get touched for long periods of time, but it’s like finding an old friend again when I do pick them up. I have the means, I have the space, I enjoy all aspects of it, and it makes me happy. If that’s a ‘disorder’ so be it, I wear it well.

3. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

I say if you need to walk on your other gear to reach desired gear...

JDawg0427, DaMasta, Jwalker99 and 9 others like this.
  4. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Five guitars is enough for me. When one of my guitars get stored away, I rather sell’em. Same with pedals. Four pedals on each of my boards.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    voskarp, johnted, EC Strat and 4 others like this.
  5. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I was teaching guitar and would deal in guitars for people on the side. When I decided to stop I had 108 guitars which I've reduced down to around 40 - 45 now. My aim is to get down to one acoustic and three electrics.

For large parts of my adult life I had one acoustic and one electric. This was enough.

6. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Never have enough gear.
    I have added a few more since these pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

For much of my life two electric guitars and one acoustic did it for me. Mostly, I had two amps. I've built that up to five guitars and five amps. I can't see needing more than that. But, I do enjoy seeing great guitar/amp collections.

Mr_10awg and fos1 like this.
  8. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

I play in a Father-Son duo at smaller Venues. Instrument wise: Two guitars (Electric Strat or Tele/Acoustic Martin 15 series street master), two trumpets, and Bongos. Since my Dad is 83 I wanted the most travel/set-up efficiency I could get without a compromise in our sound.

After starting with a standard PA (Speakers/poles) with a powered mixer and Monitors decided to change it up and purchased a JBL EON One system. This has turned out to be a great purchase--The system weighs~35 lbs, breaks down to a "box" size and the travel case has castors. The monitor we use is almost as big and heavy. I can fit all of our gear in the back of my Explorer.

Amp: I use a 30W Roland Blues Cube. It's solid state ~25 lbs but is the closest thing to a tube amp I've ever heard.

For what we do, it works perfectly--I don't need to bring additional guitars. If anything, I'd consider getting a second EON if we played larger venues.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It all started for me when one of the box stores had guitar hooks on sale in bundles of six...I blame them:sneaky:.

mplsrube, johnted, bldwndp and 14 others like this.
  10. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I have 9 guitars and 2 amps.

I use both amps a clean platforms and have opted to use pedals for drive sounds.

Yesterday I was thinking about having a nice el84 amp too, because I like those kinds of clean tones but, I think Im good.

Roger66, Archtops, HazyPurple and 3 others like this.
  11. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

When they shovel the dirt in my face. Or hit the burners, whichever...

mplsrube, JJ119 and Nadnitram like this.
  12. wstsdr

wstsdr Strat-Talk Member

How much gear is too much? The answer has to be as varied as the reason people buy gear to begin with...no? Some work for sounds, some collect, some are hobbyists...and even more sub-sets. I keep it simple...I consider my guitars functional art. I hang the 3 in my avatar on the wall and I enjoy them very much whether looking at them or playing them. My PRS isn't getting any love but that's ok. The more guitars I play the more I figure out what I really like...whether the feel or the sound (goes for amps and pedals). I don't know much but I enjoy the process...

fos1, ZlurkCorzDog and Nadnitram like this.
  13. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Wow, so many they don't even fit indoors? :D

Motley, grumpah, RobZ69 and 4 others like this.
  14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I don't care if someone has a hundred guitars. It doesn't affect me, unless I get to go to their house and play some of them. :D

I's not like there aren't enough guitars in the world for every one that wants one. There are literally tens of millions of guitars out there.

mplsrube, stormsedge, CB91710 and 4 others like this.
  15. TOL-STRAT

TOL-STRAT Strat-Talk Member

Ahh step 8 in the 12 step program, good job! ~prrrrttt~ I think i'm good...Ithink i'm good....

amstratnut likes this.
  16. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

It's too much if it's getting in the way of your enjoyment. If you feel like it's too much, then it is.

I think I have 15. It's not an expensive collection. Most were cheap (like, sub $100 cheap) and the most expensive one cost $550. I play a variety of styles--sometimes it's bass, sometimes classical, sometimes I want tele or strat, sometimes I want jumbo acoustic, sometimes I want jazz box. Sometimes I want single coils, sometimes humbuckers, sometimes P90s. Some of these guitars have sentimental attachment--I can't sell my wife's mom's guitar and I won't sell dad's dred--even though I don't play those much.

And I have two guitars that I've decided I'm going to get rid of--eventually. They're not worth much and they're not in the way, so I'm not in a hurry. But I'm at capacity--if I bring home another, one has to go.

fos1 likes this.
  17. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

I have way too much. Especially for the size of my house.

It's absolutely an addiction and I don't deny that ever. Though I acknowledge it is, I do still justify it and have no intention of fixing it (though I recognize I need to scale down). ATM I have somewhere around 25-30 guitars. I don't actually know how many because they are scattered between the house and the jam spot.

Not knowing how many guitars you have is a major sign you have too many.

Clearly I don't need them if I can't even remember what's where. My house is 1000 square feet. They are on the wall, under beds, in closets, or sitting on the floor in cases. I'd like to get down to 10-12 which is still too many for most people but seems a reasonable number for me.

18. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

It's all about your purchasing process. Everything I buy is a good "bang for the buck" proposition and always has some kind of purpose. The main thing is to fill a purpose and avoid duplication. Multiple tubescreamers of the same type doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I would say when you start duplicating gear you've going too far (I do own a couple of loopers but they are both full of loops I'm working on).

For electric guitars there's a uniqueness of tone to a tele bridge pickup, strat neck pickup, humbucker, and P90 that justifies their value and the joy of ownership. The joy of ownership is nothing to sneeze at by the way. At the end of the day it's all about being happy with your gear without breaking the bank.

19. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

I had to start selling them off just to clear the hallway to the big room ,where all the good stuff is.
    That's when I realized I may need intervention.....nahhhhh!

20. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I’m down sizing myself at the moment. 15 Strats and a few others had me at about 20 guitars. Letting some amps go too. No use keeping stuff I can’t pick up anymore. If I can get down to 10 guitars or less I’ll be happy. Pedals be like rabbits around here…. they got to go too!