Join Strat-Talk Today

When The "Real Value" of a Partscaster Hits Home

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by axejock, Feb 20, 2020.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I have "built" quite a few Fender partscasters over the past few years, making them exactly the way I wanted them to look and perform using almost exclusively new, genuine Fender parts. As so often happens when you get GAS for buying or building guitars, I ended up with a realization that I simply have too many very nice guitars to use, enjoy, and maintain and I decided that I would try to "unload" some of the partscasters (Strats and Teles). So I went to my buddy's guitar shop and approached him with an idea that seemed reasonable to me. The point was to upgrade the quality of the my "keepers" and pay for it by trading in some of my "herd". So, I verbally offered 4 Strats, 2 Teles, and 1 Jaguar for a very up scale guitar with a selling price of right at $2500 including tax. I thought that was a very generous offer as the guitars I was offering are VERY nice and virtually flawless. He said it sounded good to him, so today I took the 7 guitars to him to "do the deal". Of course, my buddy went over my trade-ins with a fine tooth comb and found a couple of fret sprouts, an assumed "neck flaw" on one of them, and all sorts of needed maintenance he would have to do in order to get them ready for sale in his shop (he's a good guy and sharp business guy, so I don't fault him for doing these inspections). After all this was done, he offered me an average of $250 each for my trade in guitars against a $2500 new guitar. That means that each partscaster I had built at a cost of about $600 to $1000 was worth $250 in trade and maybe $325 in outright sale! This was not a surprise as I knew the financial "downside" to building a partscaster, but this event really drove the point home. I only offer this as a reminder to those of you who like to upgrade and modify new guitars to be extremely careful about keeping original parts or building from scratch. It is almost NEVER a good financial decision to build a partscaster. Needless to say, I brought all 7 of my guitars home with me and have decided that just having them around is worth more than selling them at 30% of what they cost!!!

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Start low with your offer then go up, allow some negotiating room.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

And what’s to say you can’t build another one exactly like the $2,500 one you were considering?

4. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-O-Master

You low-balled yourself. 7 guitars for $2,500 is $350 each. Nowhere to go but down in negotiations.

Shoulda offered him 4 at first. Then you coulda thrown in another 1, 2 or 3 to sweeten the deal!

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Well he needs to make money so he's not gonna give you what he wants to sell them for.
    Sell them yourself on cl, fleabay or whatever for 350-400. Get your new guitar & enjoy

6. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Have a couple of partscasters left and I've just assumed, if I was ever in a jam and needed cash, they wouldn't help me out much. Pretty sure I could part them out for more than they would sell for whole. Hope I never have to find out, but your point is well taken. Sad, but true.

7. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

If I build a partscaster and end up not liking it, I just disassemble it and sell off the individual parts. If I buy the parts used, I'll often come out around even; and even if I didn't, I still am likely better off than trying to sell the whole partscaster.

8. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

9. Frijole

Frijole Strat-Talk Member

My PartsCaster is wonderfully unique and I love it but it's not worth much on the open market. It's crazy that the parts are worth more than the completed guitar that has been setup perfectly for playability. I'd suggest just parting out the guitars you want to get rid of and you'll get more cash for them that way.

TangerineDog, jjudas, 3bolt79 and 7 others like this.
  10. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Any guitar ( with a few exceptions) are a loss when selling. I buy guitars to play, and I know I wouldn't even get half $ back in a sale or trade.

Obviously, there are exceptions, but not many.

GeejeeZ, younkint, Zeekrider and 15 others like this.
  11. hexnut

hexnut Strat-O-Master

Partscaster not being worth any thing started on forums like this. You have no one to blame but your selves. LOL

12. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

You'll make more from parting them out.

vjf62, usul1978, 3bolt79 and 7 others like this.
  13. DiamondsNRust

DiamondsNRust Strat-Talker

I’ve bought and sold used guitars for years, strictly for making a profit so I don’t understand how any guitar, with a few exceptions, is a loss.. If you’re buying guitars to play, why not buy used? You’re more apt to get your money back or even make a profit if you’re good at haggling or finding the right gear at the right price.. another tip, don’t try to sell at a shop unless you’re putting it on consignment..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Let's Boogie Strat-Talk Supporter

This is a great PSA for Strat-Talk.

And considering you can buy a used Fender at 60% of new value, play it pretty much as long as you want, then sell it for what you paid, it makes even less sense.

To me, if you want to play a Strat, you play a Fender.

vjf62, mfranzdorf, Zeekrider and 11 others like this.
  15. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

A loss if you buy new.

3bolt79 and axejock like this.
  16. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As much as it hurts, strip those wonderful guitars and sell the pieces. It's the only way to reclaim the value.

I don't suppose you have a 12 string neck?

17. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Most vintage strats are probably worth more as parts than they are complete too...

18. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Strat-Talker

Definitely makes you think twice about the build. I guess I'm wierd only having owned one Strat. I know it must hurt , knowing your effort, time, went into those. Maybe build specs sheets for them all and do an Auction for each one? Just an idea.

3bolt79 and axejock like this.
  19. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have to say, I'm proud of my black partscaster ( was gonna say strat.)
    1039$ and counting. If I get the dream body from Warmoth I can reassemble the original Squire.

20190915_155944.jpg

brians, Lash, Chicago Matt and 11 others like this.
  20. TremoloJoe

TremoloJoe Strat-Talker

The price of admission: joy of building and modifying...built, not bought!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.