Where does the sustain come from in an electric guitar???

Stone

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 17, 2019
Mean Streets
I didn't vote for him.
Blasphemy

angry-mob-mob.gif

Nadnitram

Most Honored Senior Member
Jim’s approach to the subject is that of a grown up, and that’s more than can be said for the level of response’s to this thread which is in a way quite sad……but hey, that’s their prerogative.
That's the way of the world, my brother. Positive actions yield positive outcomes. Negative actions yield negative outcomes. Silly videos yield silly comment sections. It's a little thing we call ... aw, man! I wish there was a word for that!

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
Silly videos yield silly comment sections.
And assumes that after almost 60 years playing that I don't know where the f sustain comes from.

It's in a good acoustic. Where does that come from?

Sustain is the length of time the string vibrates. Go play a piano and lift the damper. Same thing.

Goober videos don't bother to explain anything. They exist to get plays/hits. I don't have time for goobers.

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
And assumes that after almost 60 years playing that I don't know where the f sustain comes from.

It's in a good acoustic. Where does that come from?

Sustain is the length of time the string vibrates. Go play a piano and lift the damper. Same thing.

Goober videos don't bother to explain anything. They exist to get plays/hits. I don't have time for goobers.
You should watch it because he (Jim Lill - professional guitarist from Nashville) explains everything but I guess your mind is already made up on the subject.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
You should watch it because he (Jim Lill - professional guitarist from Nashville) explains everything but I guess your mind is already made up on the subject.
The only things he actually explains are his investigations of stupid internet claims made by nit wits.
He engages internet foolishness like a kindergarten teacher speaking to five year olds asking what kind of tree macaroni grows on.
By the title alone he informs us that he is also one of the internet nit wits, by suggesting sustain comes from some mythical "place".
"Where" does sustsin "come from"?

I almost feel sorry for the guy because he appears to be taking his scientific experiments from the land of make believe, seriously.

But this is the misinformation age when idiocy is the lowest common denominator that binds humanity togethet as a (DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED) species.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
The only things he actually explains are his investigations of stupid internet claims made by nit wits.
He engages internet foolishness like a kindergarten teacher speaking to five year olds asking what kind of tree macaroni grows on.
By the title alone he informs us that he is also one of the internet nit wits, by suggesting sustain comes from some mythical "place".

I almost feel sorry for the guy because he appears to be taking his scientific experiments from the land of make believe, seriously.

But this is the misinformation age when idiocy is the lowest common denominator that binds humanity togethet as a (DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED) species.
So... you didn't like the video? 🤣

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA

Thank you. You're way more tactful at this than I am. I just call it trash lol