Where Lies The Quack?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zozoe, May 15, 2020.

1. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Hi all,, , I understand there's lots of variables, but typically, do you get better quack using the North or South coils of your bridge HB, in conjunction with the rwrp middle SC in the #2 position? & the same for which coil would best quack opposite the neck SC, if I had that wiring setup?

Thanks & stay well~~

2. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Senior Stratmaster

The quack sound usually comes out of position 2 and 4 with single coils. Give Robert Cray a listen.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

And Robert cray gets that quack because he lowers the middle pickup lower than the neck and bridge. I tried it n it greatly improved the quack just like Roberts

3bolt79 and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  4. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

Yup, 2 & 4 --- ask any quackhead

5. Thunderhopkins8

Interesting. Regardless on whether he does that or not, you can still get quack without doing that. It might not be like Cray’s, but it’s still quack.

6. Thunderhopkins8

Quackhead LOL

3bolt79 and brians like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

8. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Yes

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  9. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Thanks all, but allow me to clarify,, In an HSS setup, when in the #2 position, which HB coil offers a better quack when mixed w/the SC middle? North or South? And the same question for which HB Bridge coil would best quack with a Neck SC, #4,,,,I will be wired for that.
    Thanks again~

10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

zozoe, am I to understand that you can coil split your bridge humbucker, and get either one of the coils, in particular? I'm not sure I've ever heard that before. If so, is this some custom wiring that you've done?

If the above is true, then I would go to position 2, do the coil split, and then see where you get the best "quack." If you're not sure, listen to position 4 as a reference.

Edit: I just saw that you posted while I was typing. Keep in mind that the neck and bridge pickups won't give you that "quack." The middle pickup with the neck, or bridge is where the quack comes from.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Yeah, a standard & widely used HSS setup is to have the 'auto-tap' in position 2, typically the North coil from the HB, along with the rwrp SC middle p/u,,, that's the common way to achieve that #2 quack,,,!! & the same thing goes for the rwrp middle & neck SC's in the #4 position, though it's a darker quack...
    Any double coil HB w/4 wires, can do that, & how you wire it, determines whether the North or South coil is selected to go w/the middle pup, and there's a different degree of quack between the two. I'm simply taking a pole of what most folks notice & prefer.

12. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Also, I just made a guard ala Robbie Robertson, a SD Little78 (same as 2 SCs in series in the bridge position, like he uses) in the bridge & a SC in the neck, 3way switch, with the middle sound being the North SD coil & the SC neck,,, very funky sound!! A great bridge sound & a great neck tone to boot!

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed! My middle pup is only about 1/8” above the guard.

3bolt79 and Belltonenblues84 like this.
  14. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

It's the choice or preference of coils, either North or South, that blend better with the middle or the neck for max quack,,,
    Thnx

15. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

LIVINGMYDREAM,, Yeah, it's called an
    auto-tap, so when you switch to the & #2, you get only one of the HB coils along with the rwrp middle, & you're there! In reality, a HB is simply two single coils, side by side, in series w/each other, & as long as your HB has 4 wires, (I've yet to see a double coil HB w/o them) you can wire your guitar accordingly. It's like having 2 guitars in one; a rocker w/the HB, but all the other positions are all Fender-like!! Be well~

16. Ron_B1267

Ron_B1267 Strat-Talk Member

I have a 2 wire humbucker. 3 of them, actually. The bundle has 2 wires in it. That's it. Yes, it's got the coil-to-coil connection tucked somewhere between the coils but that doesn't count.

17. Thunderhopkins8

Quackhead sounds like Elmer Fudd saying Crackhead lol

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Yeah, I just found that out today on Fernandes Sustainer has a 2 wire HB...I'm gonna swap out the middle pup first cuz it's dull, then I'll figure how to get a 4 wire HB, probably needs a push/pull......
    I love learning something new, that's why I don't get cocky!! Thnx,,,,

Attached Files:

Neilybob likes this.
  19. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-O-Master

I have an awesome little switch installed on my '98 American Std. that turns the neck pick up on giving me 2 extra pup configurations. I do find that the bridge and neck pups alone together sound somewhat quacky but more of an out-of-phase nasally tone. Having all three pick ups on is 'Super Duper' quack, quack...woddle, woddle.:)

20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I had an SSH Strat that I had gotten nearly 15 years ago. It was an amazing guitar, but it was certainly before they started coil tapping, and my current Strats are all SSS. I feel so left behind! ;)