Join Strat-Talk Today

Which BEATLES is your favorite ?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by BigNorm, Apr 14, 2019.

Wich Beatles is your favorite ?

1. John Lennon

2. George Harrison

3. Paul McCartney

4. Ringo Starr

5. I don't care about the Beatles

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

That's just it though, I'm not debating anything or arguing anything either.

I just don't care for Ringo Starr as a drummer.
    He may be the greatest human being on the planet. He may be solely responsible for the Beatles success.

You or whoever may think he's the best drummer in the world.
    That's fine.
    Am i allowed to not love something?
    Jeez.
    I wasn't born when they were around, that doesn't mean i can't make up my own mind on them.

Thank God i didn't say something like..... i don't like any of them.

Bob the builder and LPBlue like this.
  2. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

The musical sense and abilities of the quartet as a whole would not have been the same had you changed any member (this ain't The Monkees) from the Ringo formula or without George Martin. Those five individual talents and personalities simply by their collaboration were able to create an unstoppable force not only in music but in the general culture as well.:thumb:

3. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

I liked 'em all except for Paul. There's something very odd about him. He's a great musician and has an amazing vocal range. But I'd rather listen to a cat-fight on a hot day in August with mosquitos and flies buzzing in by ears.

4. LPBlue

No, he was 20% of it and I've never met the guy so I have no opinion about him personally. Ringo is not simply a percussionist...he is the consummate "ENTERTAINER" and will be until he breathes his last breath! Go get em' Sir Richard of Starkey.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

the entire recording is so intentionally off...
    I
    just love it...
    cassette
    Vinyl...
    Casette...
    DVD...

radd likes this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

IMO...Lennon never would have been anything without Paul. And honestly... George would have been a gardener.

McCartney has innate otherworldly skills as a musician/performer and composer. A "Natural" like Roy Hobbs if he performed music instead of swinging a bat. And Hobbs is fictional. McCartney is real.

There's no way IMO that his genius would have gone unheard. He's too frigging good.

7. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Story I heard was he had no training, and picked up the sticks in both hands in the way most comfortable.

8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Boy howdy.. I'm wondering if this is a joke? They were (and still are, in some ways) one of the most popular and influential music groups in the world. And they suck? :p Reminds me of a time when I was waiting in line to buy Paul McCartney concert tickets, and someone walked by and asked who the tickets were for and someone said Paul McCartney, and the guy said, "Oh, I don't care.."

They certainly have sold a lot of records, both as the Beatles and as solo artists. If sucky musicians can do that, imagine what a really good musician can do! :p

LPBlue and BigNorm like this.
  9. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

That's an easy one...
    in 1967, first year of the superbowl...the halftime show was :The University of Arizona Symphonic Marching Band
    in 1968 :Grambling State University Marching Band
    in 1969 : Florida A&M University and Miami area High School Bands
    in 1970 : no more Beatles... and as you see they were not big names for the half time at this time...lolll

10. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

The Beatles? The poor man’s Led Zeppelin? KIDDING! John Lennon but I think George and Ringo were the coolest people. Been meaning to watch that Harrison documentary again on Netflix. Actually made The Beatles interesting again for me as I find they are talked about so damn much it makes them kinda boring.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

As a drummer I always rated Ringo as an innovative drummer who did things ‘wrong’ but sounded great. As a guitarist, George, underated to my mind.

LPBlue and BigNorm like this.
  12. LPBlue

He is left landed playing right handed...me too!:cool:

13. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I've read John Lennon was a bit of an ass.. I always liked Paul McCartney though. But it's hard to choose.. I like George Harrison too, and even started to listen to Ringo more. Last year I bought a couple of Ringo's albums - Ringo, and Give More Love.

rafasounds likes this.
  14. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

yeah, but who's your favorite Monkee?

circles likes this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, but he also went against the norm in other ways. The accepted norm was / is closed hi-hat for verse, ride for chorus. He often reversed it and used a part opened trashy hi-hat for the into and chorus. It was a big part of tge early Beatles sound.

LPBlue likes this.
  16. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

It's very true that Ringo is a genius drummer. His versatility, his tempo, his unique sound. You hear Ringo, you know it's Ringo. The guy had probably one of the toughest jobs in the band, because he never knew what kind of song would be coming next, but he always knew he would have to come up with a new creative beat that fits the song every time. The Beatles were expanding the limits not only of music per se but the limits of technology, using the studio in very unique ways that were never tried before. Every time I listen to Ringo's parts, especially in those mid-albums like Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and White Album, I realize that a very small minority of drummers would be capable of challenging themselves and creating those unique drum parts like Ringo did. He had to translate the songs into his drumming, and the songs were revolutionary, so his drumming should follow. Many songs don't feature traditional kick-snare-hat drumming patterns, but very unusual lines, using the kit in a totally different way from most drummers.

fezz parka and BigNorm like this.
  17. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I would have wanted George to be my gardnener

The more Paul hangs around the more I like him and respect him.

fezz parka and BigNorm like this.
  18. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I highly recommend Geoff Emerick's book about his life as the Beatles sound engineer. There are wonderful inside glimpses of what it was like being in the studio with those guys.

I like the passage where he tells the story of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. After dozens of takes in a slower, reggae kind of tempo, Lennon started to get really bored with the situation. McCartney kept singing the song over and over and couldn't find a vocal line that he liked. Lennon storms out of the studio in a fit of anger and disappears for two hours. The boys continue to work on the song. Lennon eventually comes back and screams from the stairway: "I'm higher than I've ever been in my life. In fact, I'm higher than you'll ever be!". Then he sits at the piano, and announces: "And this is how the f****** song is going to be!". He starts playing the song in a much faster tempo, including the staccato chords at the beginning. After he finishes the song, he throws a fixed look at Paul, who says "Ok John, we'll do it your way". I think it's a tremendous illustration of Lennon's role within the band, as well as his personalty. Emerick's book received some criticism for not being very accurate, but I still hope everything he wrote there is true, because it's a really fun read.

hexnut likes this.
  19. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

the Fifth membe.r George Martin

20. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mike Nesmith

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.