• Triangle

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Ram’s Head

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Green Russian

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Op-Amp

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Big Muff Pi Fuzz (standard/normal/current)

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Any

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I don’t know enough to compare, but I like the one I have.

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Depends on the mix really.
Rams head and green Russian got my vote but I stopped buying muffs from mike matthews when he kind of went all scrimpy on quality.
For about the new price of EHX you can get a used Stomp Under Foot that adds a mids knob, which makes muffs fit more mixes.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
I have the Triangle and The Ram Head. Both are lovely. Best I can describe from my experience is the Rams Head has a little more bite where the Triangle is a little creamier. I've only ever played out of an original Green Russian years ago so can't speak on the others though so kinda weird for me to vote.

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-O-Master
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
I have this one:

1669212264506.jpeg
(Note: this is not my pedal, just a pic I copied…mine is a beat-up pawnshop prize I got for $10).

The only thing I have against it is the size. If you open up the case, there’s not a lot of circuit or wiring in there. It’s not on a pedalboard (due to the size), it just gets dragged out where it will “fit” sonically.

I’ve liked the sound of every version I’ve ever heard…I always wanted one of the Russian ones; there was just something inherently cool about them.

robistro

Strat-Talker
Feb 2, 2019
USA
I don’t have any fuzz nor have i used fuzz. So I’m quite interested in this. Been thinking about getting one but I have no idea what I’d even wanna get.

Check out this video with Rhett Shull. He demos and explains a few with Robert. Rhett also shows Tim Pierce what the fuzz can do. Fuzz pedals arent just about fuzz.

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-O-Master
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
I don’t have any fuzz nor have i used fuzz. So I’m quite interested in this. Been thinking about getting one but I have no idea what I’d even wanna get.
Be careful—the Exploratory Journey of Fuzz can be insidious and nuanced…

You might end up living in a cardboard box in an alley, rocking back and forth in a fetal position, surrounded by dozens of variations, mumbling to yourself, “I love germanium…but silicon is more stable…or is it the other way around? Which one did Hendrix really use? Then Gilmore…and Trower…damn Keith Richards for putting it on that one song and never using one again! Was it really a Maestro? Don’t forget Cobain…and Corgan…and…is the Fuzz Face Mini the same as an original Dallas-Arbiter…Is the Muffaletto really accurate to the original Muffs? I gotta compare them side-by-side…
I just need two more…or maybe three, man…there’s so many flavors and I gotta try them all…and is a Rat a fuzz, a distortion or an overdrive??…somebody tell me!!”

It’s a sad end that many of our brethren have met…there, but for the grace of God, go I…

Matopotato

Strat-Talker
Apr 11, 2021
Sweden
After looking through many vids on shootouts, I boiled it down to Ram's Head and Green Russian. The triangle and op-amp felt too bright (suzzly?) to me, and the "original" a bit lacking in comparison.
I ABed with kooper and playing for quite a while. (Even tried building a wooden "one step, flip both stomps" device, but failed...)
I wanted to like the Green more, but Ram's came up winner. Sometimes narrow, sometimes no contest.
I felt Ram's covered just about all I could dial in with Green. And then had more to give.
But I am not a seasoned pro playing big arenas... 😉
I find Muffs to have a unique voice IMHO
Keep us posted on your thoughts and what you end up with choosing.

StratUp

Dr. Stratster
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
This guy does great comparisons. Uses a looper for the sample, switches back to back, tries a variety of settings on each pedal. No flashing playing/showoff, no overdriven amps to cloud the picture etc.

It won't tell you exactly what a Big Muff will sound like with you playing, but it will let you get a feel for how they sound compared to each other.