• Triangle

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Ram’s Head

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Green Russian

• Op-Amp

• Big Muff Pi Fuzz (standard/normal/current)

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Any

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don’t know enough to compare, but I like the one I have.

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Check out this video with Rhett Shull. He demos and explains a few with Robert. Rhett also shows Tim Pierce what the fuzz can do. Fuzz pedals arent just about fuzz.

No thanks. Rhett is trash as a person.

The best selling Big Muff was designed by a lady with a channel on youtube of all things. Fran Blanche designed it for EHX and it's become their best selling Big Muff ever. Supposedly she never got paid for it either, IIRC. She's designed some really great fuzz pedals herself under her Frantone line back in the day.

Edit: I believe she designed the Big Muff Pi NYC?

Last edited:

KillingTone

Strat-O-Master
Mar 13, 2017
Yardley, PA USA
I have this one:

View attachment 607962
(Note: this is not my pedal, just a pic I copied…mine is a beat-up pawnshop prize I got for $10).

The only thing I have against it is the size. If you open up the case, there’s not a lot of circuit or wiring in there. It’s not on a pedalboard (due to the size), it just gets dragged out where it will “fit” sonically.

I’ve liked the sound of every version I’ve ever heard…I always wanted one of the Russian ones; there was just something inherently cool about them.
As far as I can tell, my Nano BMP sounds the same as the big one. It has the same controls, but fits much better on a pedalboard.

F450EF80-A8A9-423D-8D79-FBCAA5FB0A02.jpeg

twangless

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 22, 2010
Canada
I got a used one back in 1976. It was a ram's head version with red lettering. The only reason why I used it was because I had a guitar with weak pickups (not a Strat) and the amps at that time didn't have much preamp gain.

It broke down a few times, and the last time it quit I chucked it in the garbage.

bmikultyak

Strat-Talker
Feb 28, 2020
NJ
I’m going to get one of these Electro-Harmonix Big Muffs. I’ve been watching so many videos and waffling. Do you have a fav out of these?
You can choose two responses.
I had an original in the 70s and sold it. Bought a Russian version in the early 2000s and proceeded to modify it. Added switches and pots to adjust various sections.
I could switch between the silicon and germanium diodes in the feed back loops (original was germanium)
Added a Pro Co Rat circuit at the end of the chain with several options to use germanium, silicon, and LEDs for different tones but the "Rat" type of sound.
Also modded the tone stack with the ability to boost, flatten, or scoop the midrange and alter the frequency area it affected.
I sold that one too and may actually get another one and do it again as I kept my diagrams.
Play with it and it can do a lot more than sound like a PI

Joooemac

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 20, 2017
Canada
I would highly recommend the Ibanez OD850. It’s labelled overdrive but I’ve heard it’s really just a modded big muff circuit. Can’t back that up with any sources 😂 but I own one and this fuzz is to die for; it’s better than my ehx muff!

Attachments

• 69000B87-DAC3-4FC8-A566-C83B8F4CC26F.jpeg
    69000B87-DAC3-4FC8-A566-C83B8F4CC26F.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1

Roger66

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 21, 2021
Port Hueneme
I’m going to get one of these Electro-Harmonix Big Muffs. I’ve been watching so many videos and waffling. Do you have a fav out of these?
You can choose two responses.
Tube English Muff'n. Sorry if that response wasn't allowed, lol.
You can change the tubes for different sonic possibilities. Mine has Telefunken ECC83's in it from a very old Scott Hifi.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Ram's Head is a bit dark. Russian is even darker. Op Amp is the brightest IMO.
Unlike OD and distortion pedals that get less clear as you turn up the gain, a rams head or russian gets less bassy as you turn up the gain.
So the Ram which is brightest, can be practically all treble and no bass with gain knob and tone full up.
Literally the brightest dirt pedal ever!
Common sense may make us start with gain around noon, but Muffs I start with gain at max, then if I want a darker tone I turn the gain DOWN which reduces some of the cutting treble.
Violet Ram is even a little brighter, total shrieking harmonics from the bass strings.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Check out this video with Rhett Shull. He demos and explains a few with Robert. Rhett also shows Tim Pierce what the fuzz can do. Fuzz pedals arent just about fuzz.

I’ve seen that one. He talks up the Boss fuzz pedal. Not the FZ-5, a different one that looks similar.
Edit: the FZ-1W.

Last edited:

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Be careful—the Exploratory Journey of Fuzz can be insidious and nuanced…

You might end up living in a cardboard box in an alley, rocking back and forth in a fetal position, surrounded by dozens of variations, mumbling to yourself, “I love germanium…but silicon is more stable…or is it the other way around? Which one did Hendrix really use? Then Gilmore…and Trower…damn Keith Richards for putting it on that one song and never using one again! Was it really a Maestro? Don’t forget Cobain…and Corgan…and…is the Fuzz Face Mini the same as an original Dallas-Arbiter…Is the Muffaletto really accurate to the original Muffs? I gotta compare them side-by-side…
I just need two more…or maybe three, man…there’s so many flavors and I gotta try them all…and is a Rat a fuzz, a distortion or an overdrive??…somebody tell me!!”

It’s a sad end that many of our brethren have met…there, but for the grace of God, go I…
Holy Cow! This is me. Every one of the examples you gave has gone through my mind in the past month! I’m watching all these videos on the fuzz pedals. I bought the Pack Rat used, but then thought I need a real Pro Co Rat too since they’re pretty cheap plus Sweetwater is giving 15 bonus bucks with them. And they have the Ram’s Head for $99 new. I’m stopping now, and have more fuzz options than I need but the pull to continue a whole fuzz collection is strong! Great post!

Last edited:

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
I had an original in the 70s and sold it. Bought a Russian version in the early 2000s and proceeded to modify it. Added switches and pots to adjust various sections.
I could switch between the silicon and germanium diodes in the feed back loops (original was germanium)
Added a Pro Co Rat circuit at the end of the chain with several options to use germanium, silicon, and LEDs for different tones but the "Rat" type of sound.
Also modded the tone stack with the ability to boost, flatten, or scoop the midrange and alter the frequency area it affected.
I sold that one too and may actually get another one and do it again as I kept my diagrams.
Play with it and it can do a lot more than sound like a PI
Sounds like Josh Scott? That’s cool that you understand and know how to do all that stuff.

Last edited: