Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which channel for what

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Wrighty, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Strat-O-Master

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    new to the amp side of the forum but I need some advice. Quite simply, I've got a '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb amp, and an American Standard Strat. The amp has a Vintage and Custom channel, each with two inputs. Input 1 on each is described as being for 'most guitars' whilst the 2 inputs are, apparently, 'pedal friendly' and to 'provide high output guitars with a cleaner response'. So, keeping this simple, will I get the cleanest 'Fender' tone from input 1 the Vintage channel and more distortion, especially with a pedal, from input 2 on the Custom channel? All of the reviews I've read haven't given me the answer, hoping you guys can.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Strat-O-Master

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    You won't really know unless you try...

jimyjazz and mshivy like this.
  3. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

I always plug into number 2 myself on all the vintage Fender type amps. Let your ears be the guide and decide based around that. Remember, good tone at home by self is not the same as good tone live with a band. That thick rich bassy tone you might like at home is hard to make a go of live unless you bring big power. Sometimes it is best to not have your owner's manual with you at all times and just let your instrument and tastes decide.

jimyjazz and mshivy like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    On my 65 DRRI I use the vibrato channel. You should play around. I usually leave the vibrato/tremolo on to sound old school

jimyjazz, Bladesg and JustABluesGuy like this.
  6. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    I run mine with an A/B/Y pedal allowing me to channel switch/combine channels. My favorite is both channels with the vintage channel slightly louder. Like earlier poster said....play around.

Attached Files:

jimyjazz and JustABluesGuy like this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Strat-O-Master

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Thanks to all but, 64 Tele, both channels at once? That I've gotta try!

8. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't have the custom but have other two channel Fender style amps. Useful if you are mixing guitars with different output. One channel for humbuckers, one for Strat. I put a Reverb pedal in the chain on the normal side.

I may also use one side for lead tone and one for rhythm or fills. Toggle with the A/B switch. I rarely use it this way.

9. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    People have been doing that for years on tweed Deluxes (and other tweed two channel amps with 4 inputs) and Marshall 4 hole amps. Try it.

10. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Just run a short patch cable from Input 2 on Channel 1 to Input 1 on Channel 2. Adjust the volumes and effects to get the tone you want. I tried that for a while but eventually went to just using Channel 2. Note that the Input 2s on both Channels reduce the incoming signal by -6 db.

11. 1300Valencia

1300Valencia Senior Stratmaster

Oct 19, 2011
    Fullerton
    The #2 inputs are padded down, so they're less loud and more clean. The loudest, dirtiest sound is the Custom channel, input #1. I think you *can* patch the channels on the '68 Custom models. This is what many do with the tweed Fenders. Tweed Fenders don't have two channels, just one channel with multiple inputs and a couple volume controls.

You can't do this on the blackface Fenders, as the two channels are out-of-phase with each other. You won't hurt anything, but there will be a place where mixing the two channel volumes will actually lower the volume as the signals cancel each other, because they're out-of-phase.

Again, this applies to blackface Fenders with two channels, NOT the new '68 Custom models.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Strat-O-Master

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Played around last night and found exactly as above. Input #1 Custom to get down and dirty, #2 on Vintage for the Fender clean tones. Thanks to all for your advice