Which Colour do I go with? - About to pull the trigger!

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
I've been pontificating the purchase of an early 70's strat for a while now and I have finally narrowed it down to 3.

Now I just need to make the right decision regarding the colour.

All comments, advice and reasons are welcome!

BTW, they are all 73'/74'.

Sunburst
Blond
Mocha / Walnut

View attachment 564588
I like the blond one the best, if all else is equal.

Hydr0

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Update.....

Blond x 14
Burst x 16
Mocha x 3

I may have miscounted but is does seem like a tie between the Burst and the Blond.

The Blond is stunning particularly with the RW neck however the Burst is a very classic Fender colour which I really like.

If I didn't have my 61' JM being restored back to its original Blond over ASH I would be tempted to pull the trigger on the Blond. The Blond is also about 2 Grand more than the Burst which is another reason to move towards the Burst.

Thanks everyone for participating I really appreciate it and it did help me make the decision.

Oh and by the way......

To pontificate is to talk in a dogmatic and pompous manner. To pontificate properly, you need to be a know-it-all with very strong opinions and the urge to share them.

Apologies for my mistake!

Cheers,

Parksie
I was gonna say blonde, but after hearing that, I'd go with the burst +2 grand in my pocket :)

dilver

Strat-Talker
Jan 22, 2009
nj
Mocha. Be original... Everyone plays a sunburst strat. On the one hand it’s classic; on the other hand, it‘ll look like every other strat. The blond looks like yellow - unless you’re a Malmsteen fan, then it’s white, LOL.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
Mocha. Be original... Everyone plays a sunburst strat. On the one hand it’s classic; on the other hand, it‘ll look like every other strat. The blond looks like yellow - unless you’re a Malmsteen fan, then it’s white, LOL.
Except that the mocha looks horrid

hrstrat57

Strat-Talker
Jun 11, 2016
RI
I've been pontificating the purchase of an early 70's strat for a while now and I have finally narrowed it down to 3.

Now I just need to make the right decision regarding the colour.

All comments, advice and reasons are welcome!

BTW, they are all 73'/74'.

Sunburst
Blond
Mocha / Walnut

View attachment 564588
Sunburst with rosewood is the only choice here. Especially TSB

Yum

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
You can't go wrong with the burst, but that mocha is interesting.
Personally, since I already have several bursts, I would go mocha just to add a little color to my collection.