Which Colour do I go with? - About to pull the trigger!

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Similar dilemma for me in 2021 for Monoprice Telecasters. Black Guard Blonde on sale or White Guard 3TSB, Father's Day the BGB was the choice on sale. The next sale around my birthday a few months later the WG3TSB was an easy add to cart & checkout. They not only had it on sale, I used a coupon code that sent me for additioonal 10% off that. I was hoping they would be different enough & they were. Blondie was a about a lb heavier, pickups for both were almost the same DCR. The blonde was blemished, but I kept it because of the pickups. The Burst had a microphonic neck cover and I stuffed some surfboard wax into it and solved that issue. Enjoy both of them coming to a 1 year anniversary for the blonde, both are not for sale keepers. someone will inherit them down the road.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
I've been pontificating the purchase of an early 70's strat for a while now and I have finally narrowed it down to 3.

Now I just need to make the right decision regarding the colour.

All comments, advice and reasons are welcome!

BTW, they are all 73'/74'.

Sunburst
Blond
Mocha / Walnut

View attachment 564588

If it really all comes down to the colour, you must really rate all of them. So, go with the colour you like and never mind what we think!

Parksie

Strat-O-Master
Sep 6, 2020
Sydney
Mocha. Be original... Everyone plays a sunburst strat. On the one hand it’s classic; on the other hand, it‘ll look like every other strat. The blond looks like yellow - unless you’re a Malmsteen fan, then it’s white, LOL.
Mocha. Be original... Everyone plays a sunburst strat. On the one hand it’s classic; on the other hand, it‘ll look like every other strat. The blond looks like yellow - unless you’re a Malmsteen fan, then it’s white, LOL.

I was also worried about the blond looking too yellow.

Here are a couple of pics the seller sent me yesterday.

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-04 at 15.19.42(7).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-02-04 at 15.19.42.jpeg

Parksie

Strat-O-Master
Sep 6, 2020
Sydney
Another update....

Again, apologies in advance if Ive miss counted.

Blond x 18
Burst x 25
Mocha x 11

Whats really interesting is mocha / walnut has had a late burst of enthusiasm.

Its clearly not nearly as hated as some may think.

It rates at almost 50% of the votes for the Burst.

A lot of comments have been that there are so many Bursts that they are too common and other comments were the mocha / walnut colour is so typical of the early 70's.

The good thing about mocha is it's also less expensive to buy.

The Blond is the most expensive, followed by the Burst and then the Mocha in terms of price.