Which configuration would you choose if a Strat was to be your only guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by geetaruke, Mar 12, 2021.

Which configuration would you choose if a Strat was to be your only guitar?

1. SSS

155 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. HSS

90 vote(s)
    33.0%
  3. HSH

25 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. SS

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Those pickups are in completely the wrong order...o_O

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  2. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Welcome! :thumb:

abown likes this.
  3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Mine is SSS but I feel the same way

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Strat-Talker

I voted HSS but I am making this:
    D6489DFB-0014-4C74-AE5D-B2E491225705.jpeg

ProSonicLive likes this.
  5. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

My first guitar is the MIM strat in my avatar. I bought it in '97 as a SSS guitar. After the music store I bought it from told me I needed a humbucker to get the lead guitar sound that you hear on the Queensryche song "Della Brown" at 4:44, I put a humbucker in the bridge (using a dremel tool's 1/4" sanding drum and doing a perfect job!) a year or two later.

I've had an HSS strat for so long, and so like the look of it, that an SSS strat to me now looks lacking... honestly, this is not for effect (honest), but the look of an SSS is much like it has had one testicle removed.

Strats4me likes this.
  6. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

SSH All the way. I almost never use the bridge on SSS and coil cutting comes close enough when i have to.
    I play a log of Prog and modern metal
    So SSh with a coil cut.

7. sttrat714

sttrat714 Strat-Talk Member

3 single sized humbuckers. Best of both worlds. Floyd raIl tail and 24 frets. Non traditional. Adapt.

8. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

I'm I made a misteak and clicked hss when I wanted sss because it does all that I need.

9. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

SSS with a 3-position switch and a fat maple neck. I like the way Leo made 'em the first time.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

SSS is going to win, that's a foregone conclusion. This is a group of largely strat purists. If you ask a bunch of questions about Strats, the vintage way is going to win many of the polls.

SSS looks most "right" to me, but HSS is way more useful.

Tele single coil bridge pickups are much more useful, and have much more personality, IMO.

AznCaster and BuddyHollywood like this.
  11. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

[​IMG]

This would be great except that I would put the humbucker in the bridge, the P90 in the middle and the single coil in the neck. The fattest pickup needs to be where the tone is the thinnest and the thinnest pickup needs to be where the tone is the fattest. Nice paint job!

12. Wylde Horses

Wylde Horses Strat-Talk Member

I voted hss because I never found a bridge pu that wasn’t overly bright, to the point of icepicky. That may just be my particular strat (‘93 am std), but either way, I’m very happy with a set of Fralin Split Blades in it now, blues output for the bridge, and vintage for the neck and middle with a blender for the second tone pot. Love the setup, though there’s not so much quack in position 2.

Eventually I’d like a PRS custom 24-08: beautiful singlecoil and humbucker tones all in one package.

13. CapCrunch

CapCrunch Strat-Talker

The title of forum is Strat-Talk! For fans of Strats and others.

SSS and Lace Sensors no less!

14. Bettyfender

Bettyfender Strat-Talk Member

Well I votes hsh, I recently acquired a godin radium ltd. I have since sold my strat and sg as it covers both bases good enough for me. Hsh coil splits 5 way switch gibbybsacle set neck tele body with a tummy cut. Its t 20210307_200716.jpg otally blasphemous but I love it and made in Canada! It freaking smells like maple syrup what's not to like.

15. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

Add series/parallel switches to the humbuckers and we are in business

16. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Why should I have to only choose one? I like options and this fits the bill better for me.

17. tatoo

tatoo Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

For me it would be HSS with Floyd trem, jumbo SS frets.

18. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

HSS is only "way more useful" if you regard a humbucker as more useful. I don't, & neither do many other people. So that makes HSS way less useful.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  19. ross

ross Strat-Talk Member

Too much fun to make a favorite Strat. Choosing Pickup layout is not the issue - SSS of course, it's a Strat right. You need to choose all the other stuff that might make it your favorite Strat. I would opt for DiMarzio pickups, would go vintage but already have too many vintage pickup Strats. A soft V (9.5 or 9.5 to 12) radius neck, vintage tuners, a dark ebony like rosewood or very light white maple fretboard (one of each) Ok only one - a white maple like the EC strat's. A very light Alder body with nitro finish. Still thinking about the color, with dark rosewood I would go fiesta red, with a light white maple neck maybe sonic blue. This is because I have five strats of various other colors already. I like the Deluxe two point trem with steel trem block and pop in arm but a vintage bridge with high quality bent steel saddles and a solid steel trem block is OK too. I played my strats yesterday comparing the 9.5 Soft V the 9.5 Fat C the compound 9.5-12 C and 9.5 modern thin C. Don't have the SRV offset oval C yet. The soft V was the winner for me, it felt as light as the thin C and gave a little more support in the palm like the Fat C without being chunky and heavy, the finish on my soft V is smoother than the Fat C too so that may be part of the factor. The soft V is an EC neck, the Fat C is the Original 60's neck. The EC neck is silky smooth. I just bought the neck and put it on one of my MIM strat bodies that I tricked out with shielding, quality pots, treb bleed, a Blade Runner trem and guitar fetish true vintage pickups, made a very nice Strat. If I got to choose the frets I would go for the 6105's in stainless steel.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  20. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

I am actually kind of amazed at how many of our resident experts don't know why a humbucker sounds different than a single coil. All these comments about making it hotter or using more overdrive or stacking pedals. Blah blah blah. It makes me shake my head.

Let me ask you guys this. Why do silent singles (like a DMZ Area) sound WAY closer to pure single coils than they do humbuckers? Don't these stacked humbuckers still have two coils wound opposite? And yet they don't sound like a really low output humbucker at all. They sound like a single coil but without some of the zing. And why do narrow humbuckers designed to fit in a single coil sized hole not quite sound the same as a full size humbucker of the same design?

The answer to both questions is the same. Single coils sense the string in one location along its length. Humbuckers sense the string in two locations. Narrow humbuckers don't sound quite as fat as full size humbuckers because the two sensing locations are closer to each other along the string length. Output is only part of the story and it's not even the most important part. The two locations is the main thing. You can buy taller bobbins to get more winds on a single coil. It might be smoking hot but it's still not going to sound like a humbucker.

fretlessart and BuddyHollywood like this.