Which DAW + Interface + Modeling amp/software do you use?

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Personal Gsus, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Personal Gsus

Personal Gsus Strat-Talk Member

I've been using Garageband on a Mac with a Fender GTX100 going stereo XLR out into a SSL 2+ interface – and I'm not loving it.

Not saying my rudimentary production skills aren't to blame, but it got me thinking, what are other people using?

So, what do all of you use for home recording of guitar/bass (DAW + Interface + Modeling amp/software)? I'd love to hear audio examples too if you're comfortable with sharing.

Cerb likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I chuck everything through the Katana 50 phones/rec out into Reaper through a Scarlett 2i2. Micing amps is not an option here.

Slate drums via MIDI, bass direct.

Stonetone, Kimex, Chont and 8 others like this.
  3. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

I’ll follow this thread with great interest as I understand nothing at all, I don’t even know what these abbreviations stand for.

Kimex, PeteGeordie and Cerb like this.
  4. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

Using a focusrite Scarlett Solo, which works well. I use Amplitube for modelling software which is great. I'm using Mixcraft for the DAW but haven't spent much time with it yet.

The amplitube models make a big difference over the pre-amp. My main virtual amp is 65 Deluxe Reverb.

Cerb and Sureshot33 like this.
  5. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Iam using an Onyx blackjack soundcard with logic pro x and as for modelling iam using stuff from mercuriall and kuassa.Iam using mercuriall SS11-x(my favorite) which is based on a preamp pedal from AMT electronics and Kuassas caliburn which is basically a collection of famous marshalls....all guitar tones ill ever need in bedroom levels...;)

Cerb likes this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I plug junk into other junk and play junk for posterity.

Bowmap, brians, Cerb and 2 others like this.
  7. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

For recording on the cheap, you really don't need much to get passable results. All of my uploads on this forum are using Apogee Jam interface into an old iMac desktop running Amplitube3.

Here is just guitar (audio file from Amplitube3, video file created with quicktime using imac's camera; both files combined using imovie):

For jamming over mp3s, I'll just mix my audio file with the backing track using audacity:

Stonetone, Cerb, Omar and 1 other person like this.
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

M-Audio FireWire Solo.
    Logic.
    Kontakt for midi.

I use the amp models in Logic.
    Abbey Road 70's drums.
    Dano 6SB for the bass part.

What aren't you digging about your setup? It should sound fine.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Stonetone, Dana Rudd, mutato and 5 others like this.
  9. Sureshot33

Sureshot33 Strat-Talker

I have the same setup.
    It's more than enough for me.

Cerb and GhostJam47 like this.
  10. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

Reaper, Focusrite, and bias fx

Cerb likes this.
  11. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

Guitar - Digitech Genesis3 or AVID Eleven --> Tascam UH7000 interface --> Cakewalk
    Bass - ART tube preamp --> Tascam UH7000 --> Cakewalk --> Native GuitarRig5
    Drums - Roland ekit MIDI -->Cakewalk --> Addictive Drums 2
    Keys - MAudio Keystation 61 MIDI --> Cakewalk --> Z3Ta+2 or Dimension Pro (Soft Synths)

Stonetone, Cerb and Omar like this.
  12. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

Scarlett 2i2
    Behringer mixer into input 1
    Various microphones, Quilter 101r headphone out
    Guitar or bass into input 2
    Akai MPK Mini keyboard
    Reaper on a Windows PC
    Bias FX2
    Amplion 2 Rock Essentials
    Various other special purpose plugins.

Thrup'ny Bit and Cerb like this.
  13. rmackowsky

rmackowsky Strat-Talker

I have serious GAS right now.

DAW - Reaper
    Interface - Scarlett 2i2, IK Axe I/O coming
    Modelers - Amplitube 5 Max, Spark Amp coming

Don’t need 2 interfaces, but Axe I/O was bundled with Amplitube.

Thought Amplitube would be all I needed, then saw what Spark Amp can do and couldn’t resist.

I need to turn off my phone and computer or I will be bankrupt and divorced by years end. In addition to above, this year I have purchased 3 guitars, a tube amp, several pedals, a Mac Mini, studio monitors, midi keyboard, Boss drum machine, and numerous accessories. Also built a partscaster so bought bridge, pickups, tuners, etc. Now I just need to learn how to play guitar.

BlackStratCat69, brians and Cerb like this.
  14. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Zoom G2Nu, Sonar, Strat, Shure SM58, ESI [email protected] PCI soundcard in a SLOW Gateway dual Pent DAW, and a Peavey preamp that I modified for 6 independent channel outputs . I made the peavey mixer setup setup to give to a friend that needed a DAW.

The singer I had worked with for years came over one morning while I was working on the Peavey. I asked him if the wanted to record something as I wanted to see how everything worked. This was a very dirt cheap setup, but you do not need a lot of money to make a clean recording. I took the clean two tracks (rhythm & vocals) and added some sound FX from the internet, a bass line and some lead guitar using the Zoom as a preamp. I EQd the stuff in the DAW.

A musician friend of mine in Calif called me up one day after 40 years. When he asked what I had been doing I told him I was recording a few songs. He asked to hear them so I sent a CD to him. He remastered it and sent back a copy to me. I had no idea that he did mastering. Our recording wasn't perfect but it seemed OK for the amount of time invested. I was surprised how much the mastering improved its fidelity. Here is the audio example using the listed tools above.

Austin died several years ago but at least I got him to record two songs for his kids. I sure miss him, he was a great friend. At least they can still listen to him on CD.

15. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface.
    Ableton Live 9 DAW
    Neural DSP Archetype plugin for guitar sound.

16. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Guitar -> Quilter Aviator Cub SS amp -> Presonus Sudio 26 interface -> Reaper DAW.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. Mikeylefty

Mikeylefty Be Kind Silver Member

I still like to turn knobs: guitar & bass into Line6 Pod 2.0 into Tascam 2488 Neo. Drums are BeatBuddy or Boss Jamstation. Then I output to a mac and run Adobe Audition for limiting/compression.
    [​IMG]

Dana Rudd, mutato and duzie like this.
  18. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I've settled on a simple system, it's a compromise but it works and at least I get something done instead of fiddling around with hundreds of controls.

Multi effects pedal, into Vox clean amp , amp rec line out to Audacity DAW on Windows. Audacity is relatively simple, not so many bells and whistles but it can do multiple tracks and most important for me is I know my way around it well, and , it's completely free.

One could actually bypass the amp completely but I like the fullness of the EQ from the amp.

The main thing for me is the effects pedal which has a looper and drum machine, aux in and headphone monitor.

Outside of reverb and delay, I don't really use a lot of effects, but the pedal has pretty much every effect if needed.
    Drive when needed comes from the amp, although the pedal has 60 different amp models, of which I use probably 3. Lol.

I've been the whole 16 channel desk into modeling amp into various complex software daws and I found I was spending more time adjusting stuff than I was recording, and spending money on DAWs.

I ditched the mixing desk, complete overkill for what I'm doing, and in all reality I haven't got the time and patience to dedicate to it. I bought it as an open box store special at the time. The theory was great but the the reality was different. Oh well , it looks impressive anyway.

My modeling amps sit unused now mostly, hopefully some jam opportunities will present themselves one of these days when this madness is over.

19. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

For an interface I have both a Helix LT and a Scarlett Solo. Kind of depends on what I’m doing for which one I use, but I probably don’t need both….I just happened to have a Scarlett before I picked up the Helix.

DAW I use GarageBand on an iMac.

I also have a ton of plugins. Most were free, but did pay for the “elite” tier of Bias FX at one point or another.

20. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

I use Reaper, a Focusrite Scarlett Interface and Amplitube.

Here's my cover of Sultans of Swing recorded with this:

And here are some Stevie Ray Vaughan clips:
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/...s-srv-tones-in-amplitube.571548/#post-4476935

armstrongi likes this.