Which guitar would you take on stage tonight?

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
Thanks @CigBurn … it was ❤️ at first sight… plus it’s awesome
It's weird that the Eastman El Rey guitars don't seem to be played by that many folks, but...
quality over quantity, right?

If it was a jazz gig, i might just bring mine, though.
Either that, or Angel if the joint is a bit rougher:

The T-type is less fragile. 😂

Last edited:

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
I use them all, but I use the PRS 7 out of 10 times I gig, if taking only one guitar (which is all I normally do these days). The reason is simple: I can get a HB or single-coil sound from it. The 22-fret PRS comes pretty close to a Les Paul, but I cannot say that splitting the coils makes it sound like a Strat, just Stratier than not splitting the coils.

Can I take them all please? :)

I've always thought: If you don't know exactly what you're expected to play on a gig, take a Strat.
On paper, I might agree if it were an HSS Strat. I have one with a Zexcoil in bridge that comes pretty close to a good HB. But honestly, the lack of a HB wouldn't stop me from taking a Strat, it's just that if I'm being overly analytical, having singles and a HB would be a nice option if I have no idea what I'm going to be playing.

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
It's weird that the Eastman El Rey guitars don't seem to be played by that many folks, but...
quality over quantity, right?

If it was a jazz duo gig, i might just bring mine, though.
Either that, or Angel if the joint is a bit rougher:

The T-type is less fragile. 😂

@dogletnoir
The El Rey seems to be rare. I’d never seen one or ever heard of one until I lucked upon this one. I thought Eastman made odd knock offs of old guitars. I didn’t know they made original designed instruments. I certainly didn’t think they made guitars of this quality. I was thinking of getting a Godin with the hex and piezo systems but I didn’t like the look or weight of the ones available.

Since the shop opened a few weeks ago the University Jazz Students have been showing up and buying up the Eastman Jazz boxes… Jason said “this is the last Eastman in the warehouse” and sat the case on the counter. Why did I have to peek inside? It was all over but the crying.

So Thursday night I’m doing a gig with a singer at a little bar called Artmosphere. I’m taking the Cher Petite Boogie and the El Rey. First time as a duo. I guess we’ll see if there will be a second…..

Oh… plugged it into my friends Hendrickson (is that how it’s spelled) amp and it sounded so amazing. He wasn’t happy that the El Rey out performed his 6K custom ordered hand made guitar…(I’m not saying no names)… he like “why didn’t I see this one at the shop?” I told him “No Hoss! This one’s been setting in that warehouse since 2012 waiting for me”.

Double oh oh…. You flip the little switch on the Tee Cher Petite Boogie and it turns into a PRS/LP/335 Monster! Capable of decimating anything in its path.

Funny how the road goes… I’m all into Hendrix, SRV, Fender, Marshall, UniVibes, Overdrives and Fuzzfaces for months. And the next thing you know you haven’t touched that stuff for weeks and it’s all about playing over the changes to the “Girl from Ipanema”…

Chaque Jour n’est pas les meme….

CigBurn

Total Hack
Jun 22, 2014
Same Shed Different Day
Which kit did you use to build this?
Got it off amazon, but this one. Didn't use any of the hardware that came with it, preferring to do the build with my preferred choices from the start.

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
Henriksen.
Great small jazz amps.
Yes I know… But I knew I hadn’t spelled it correctly. A few people have them around town. I had them on my radar but the Cher Petite Boogie Mark V stole the position of grab and go amplifier. It really has a great clean sound. And you know I’m a sucker for that Hi-Gain Flamer Thrower type thing. I was concerned about the Lil’ 10” speaker. But that build in Cab-Sim or whatever it’s called DI straight to the PA makes the speaker size a non-issue. It’s slightly over 20lbs. It has ridicules tonal options and it’s smaller then a Blues Jr. even on its own it somehow fills the room.

If I somehow end up playing an archtop out in public I may still consider a Henriksen.