Which new Fender amps are considered to be "disposable"?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Handsome McClane, Oct 30, 2020.

1. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I don't know about the 5F1, but the rest generally adhere to the original circuit, yet deviate in critical ways. Plate voltages tend to be higher and filter capacitors have larger values. A lot of this is by observation, as Fender has been pretty good at suppressing any distribution of the RI schematics for the tweeds. All I've found is the 5F7 RI schematic.

These changes can cause noticable changes in tone and response compared to the original amps. Examples:

5F7 Bandmaster
    Voltage available to the 6L6-GC grids is 410 V
    Filter caps are 16 MFD
    Feedback resistor around the 2nd gain stage is 10M Ohm

5F7 '57 Custom Bandmaster RI
    Voltage available to the 6L6-GC grids is 462 V
    Filter caps are 22 MFD.
    Feedback resistor around the 2nd gain stage is 4.7M Ohm

The two amps cannot sound the same with either clean or overdrive tones. Worth it to me? Only if I wanted to dig into them and replace transformers and small parts. I'd rather get a ready-built clone, like @CB91710 says.

93-Strat likes this.
  2. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

That's exactly what we did. Commercial grade and repairable. We bought a pair when they were having a special promotion: they doubled the warranty period.

93-Strat likes this.
  3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I know it would be heresy, but I wonder how a BF Twin would sound through a pair of the new neo-magnet speakers?
    The 60w G12 Neo is a touch over 4lbs
    The 65w G12 ceramic is 8lbs.

Shave 8lbs off of a Twin? That's better than 10%

New '65 Twin is 64lb.

Ohhh... looky... Fender has a Neo version of the '65 at 56lbs.

4. CB91710

Well... the 16 vs 22 on the filters is not significant to the tone. It'll be a touch quieter, and MAY be a bit more resistant to sag, but it's not an uncommon replacement for repairs given the currently available parts.
    For the voltage difference, drop your variac down to ~106 and you'll be close to 410
    The NFB resistor is the only real problem.

5. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talk Member

Ya real hi tech junk. My 6 MONTH old LG died under warranty. They are not repairing or replacing but issuing a money back check SOMEDAY. 2YR old Washing Machine Fried electronics board, UN repairable, 2 Year old Refrigerator, plastic runners that hold drawers to glass shelves are splitting and draws drooping, under warranty but draws not covered also the runners and the shelves are no longer available...2 YEARS former refer was 30 yrs, washer 28 years, micro 10 yrs. Thank God for my Fender 1970 PA 100 hand wired head, neighbors hate it.

nomadh, duzie, TIMB and 1 other person like this.
  6. tubedude

tubedude Strat-Talk Member

I consider all circuit board amps disposable.
    Just because fender won't repair it doesn't mean it's disposable. A competent tech can repair most amps. But not everything that can be done should be.

7. Tremoluxer

Tremoluxer Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

That surprises me. All my appliances are LG, including the microwave. Bought them new in 2013 and haven't had a single problem.

8. CB91710

We got a fridge last July (19) and a microwave last December.
    Haven't had a problem with either.

Some of the earlier models using the linear compressor had problems with early failure, to the point that LG service people were backlogged for a month, but that issue seems to have been resolved.

I've had nothing but trouble with GE kitchen appliances. Fortunately, the stove works without the electronics... oven is dead.

9. easterik

easterik Strat-Talk Member

Soooo pretty!!!

mapleglo likes this.
  10. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

It's also a term vastly overused on internet forums by guitarists who play seven gigs a year in their backyard cover band, yet they demand that their amp is robustly built to survive the rigors of "touring".

Your analogy is spot on. There is TONS of non tube, non hand wired gear that gets used, abused, loaded in/out in all kinds of weather conditions and is still functioning as new years later. But guitar amps, well, see, that's different because if they don't have tubes and they're not hand wired by some guy in a shop apron then they're going to disintegrate in 18 months.

I love, have owned, and will continue to own tube amps. I love the damn things. But I also love the Tone Master DR I bought last year and I have every expectation that I'll be using it for a long, long time.

I have a POS Roland Blues Cube I bought for next to nothing and I used to carry it as a last-ditch backup amp (and it did save me twice). I don't even like the way it sounds but it "works" as a pedal platform. Two knobs are broken and the grill cloth is torn and it has not been well cared for. But it still turns on and functions perfectly, quiet as a mouse. I almost WISH it would die so it could be disposable, but it's not having any of that.

_MS_ likes this.
  11. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-O-Master

IMO, any amp with the tubes or sockets soldered into PCB's are disposable. They may last for a while, but repair is a pain.

I'm down to one and one. The first is my Allen Sweet Spot that I assembled - handwired in the USA (at my bench) using Kester 60/40 solder. Very reliable and very repairable should it ever need repair.

The other is a G-K MB-200 bass amp head into an Acoustic Image Contra EX speaker that I use for acoustic guitar and occasional bass guitar playing. If that amp ever farts, I'll toss it and get another. The speaker is stronger than the amp and I don't play loud.

12. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talk Member

Well figuring how many LG products are sold there has to be a fairly high percentage of them running as they should and I am glad you're in that number. Many complaints about their support though. 2 months and still waiting for money back. That is unacceptable. Things do break under warranty and should be repaired, replaced or refunded quickly

CB91710 and Tremoluxer like this.