WHICH PICKUPS FOR MORE MODERN SUPER STRAT SOUND?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by CeUrbaStrat, Jul 19, 2020.

1. CeUrbaStrat

CeUrbaStrat New Member!

Guys, hi to you all!. My name is César, and I´m from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I recently purchased my first real Strat, it is a Standard MIM, it is really, a lovely guitar, fell in love with strats and currently waiting for my buttercream player series to arrive :).

I have one question...obviusly the standard and player series are pretty similar guitars (alder body, maple neck). My idea is to get a classic strat sound from one of them, and, on the other strat a more hi gain sound. The Standard has fat 50s pickups...my question is, which humbuckers would you reccomend to get a more superstrat sound (van halen, vai alike, for example).

Thanks so much!.

Kdawg1966 likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Welcome to the Forum!!

If you have a Mexico Standard, they don't have Fat 50s - they have ceramic pickups with a higher output, which would be PERFECT as is for what you want.....you can do Van Halen and Vai in position 2 on these no problem.....

If you have a 2012 or later American Standard, THOSE have Fat 50s....

You will find once you get your player series Strat that those have a more mellow alnico V classic Strat sound.....

Kdawg1966 and Stratafied like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1 MIM Standard dual ceramic pickups are just what you need.

Look up the Armstrong Blender wiring for the MIM Standard which converts the second tone knob to a blender to go from classic SSS to hot HSH series humbuckers. You will have a stealth Super Strat. It's my favorite Strat mod. I'll convert HSS or HSH Strats to SSS and add this wiring change. It's only a wiring change, no new parts so it's cheap and fantastic. Adjust pickup heights. If you play more often on the HSH end then you might want to swap the volume pot from 250k to 500k which will brighten the series humbuckers but you'll need to use the master tone knob when going to single coils as they may be too bright.

Kdawg1966 likes this.
  4. CeUrbaStrat

CeUrbaStrat New Member!

Thank you so much to all for your advices. I changed the pickups of the Standard, replaced the originals for the Fat50s. My idea is ti get a more modern style of sound from the player series. Didn´t know about the wiring, gonna check that. Thanks again!

5. Guitarmageddon

Do you still have the Mexico Standard ceramic pickups? If so put those in.....

Kdawg1966 likes this.
  6. CeUrbaStrat

CeUrbaStrat New Member!

Really? are they so good?. What about the ones that come with the Player Series?

7. Guitarmageddon

Ceramic magnet pickups are better for hard rock and metal.....they have more output and more compression.....

The Player series is going to sound very close to Fat 50s - they are both alnico V

Kdawg1966 likes this.
  8. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

Looks like your questions have already been answered, so I'll just say Welcome to the forum! As you can see, lots of knowledgeable, helpful people here. Let us know how everything turns out.

CeUrbaStrat likes this.
  9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I'm afraid that has more to do with talent.. There's a lot of great guitarists playing very modern sounds on some very vintage guitars..

r

Stonetone and Guitarmageddon like this.
  10. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-Talker Silver Member

Hello Cesar,

A Duncan Distortion trembucker 6 will give you what you want.

CeUrbaStrat likes this.
  11. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Sorry to contradict here, but there are no single coils ceramic or otherwise that are going to get you close to the Van Halen, Steve Vai sound. You really need in the bridge at least a humbucker and preferably one with high output. If you want to stay single coil sized, a lot of players would recommend the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, but I much prefer DiMarzios Rail pups. The Chopper is my favourite for a hot PAF type sound, although you can go hotter with the Tone Zone S, or Super Distortion S, that will get you a lot closer than any single coil ever will. The ultimate choice would be to go HSS as @HazyPurple suggests. My recommendation would be in the bridge position the Seymour Duncan JB, although there are a plethora of options out there.

CeUrbaStrat and mshivy like this.
  12. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

The single coil size blade pickup options from Duncan or DiMarzio would give you what you want and drop into a SSS pickguard
    You’d want the hotter options, there are descriptions on the websites

if you are concerned with keeping a vintage look then the hot stacks from the same two companies are also options

if you’re not as concerned with noise, the DiMarzio FS1 or Duncan SSL5 will give you plenty of power ( true single coils)

good luck whatever you decide

Stonetone and CeUrbaStrat like this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

I had a Peavey Predator in 1992 with ceramic mag pickups - in position 2 with bridge/middle it was like a humbucker....loud, snarly, I played Metallica with it.....strange.....

14. CeUrbaStrat

CeUrbaStrat New Member!

I believed so...single coils will get me closer to that sound, but I don´t know if they will truly deliver the tone I´m after. I´ll stat truly strat with the fat50s on one guitar, and on the other I´ll go for humbuckers. Any suggestion on humbuckers?. Thanks so much for your advice!.

15. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

I'm old school so I prefer the PAF sound. I've put the Seymour Duncan 59, Axesrus Classic 50s, and the Irongear Blues Engine up again'st the DiMarzio Chopper and I preferred the Chopper which is a single coil sized humbucker. It sounded like a slightly hotter version of the classic PAF. I also tried the Seymour Duncan JB, and DiMarzio Super Distortion, and they're a whole other ball game. Much hotter sounding. You mentioned Van Halen and Steve Vai. Vai has his own DiMarzio signature humbuckers, and EV has his own Wolfgang pups which you can buy after market too. I really liked the JB to be honest, but I suggest you try to play some guitars with humbuckers and find out what you like that way.

CeUrbaStrat and Guitarmageddon like this.
  16. CeUrbaStrat

CeUrbaStrat New Member!

Which is your opinion on the TONE ZONE S?. I´m thinking on the chopper or the tone zone, but the tone zone I believe hast good output, good levels on bass and mids also.

17. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

I dunno but my 2 cents, its really the player Then the amp and effect combo, funny story EVH was at vai’s studio hanging out and he played through Vai’s gear set up and well he sounded like EVH not Vai....
    True story ;)