Which Squier for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by largo, Jan 9, 2009.

1. largo

largo Strat-Talker

Which Squier for a beginner?

i'm looking for an electric to have available for my grandson and future grandchildren when they come over. i do believe that kids should start out on acoustic, but that's not a problem. i have an acoustic that has a slim body profile and slim neck. my other acoustics are dreadnaughts and probably too big for a kid to play comfortably.

what i want that i don't have is a Strat or something like it that is more comfortable for a kid to play. price is another one of the parameters for this purchase, i don't want to sink a whole lot into something that the grandkids might not stick with.

i've been looking at the Duo Sonic (see my thread in this forum), but i've seen in a catalog a Mini Strat and the Bullet, both for $100. so waht about these options? what recommendations do you have for me?

2. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

I'd personally pick up something used and save some cash.

I recently came across a Squier Telecaster Custom for $150 and was gonna offer $120 (their $230 new I believe) but put the money towards a new vintage modified strat instead as I wanted something a bit better.

I always see used Squiers from $75 - $150

As far as The Duo Sonic goes... I never tried one as it has never appealed to me. I dont dig the Bullets because of the thin body profile and cheap looking necks.

3. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

I would definitely recomend the Deluxe strat. It is a little pricier, but for the extra cash you spend, you more than get what you pay for in upgrades (in my opinion of course).

4. largo

largo Strat-Talker

i keep hearing that advice...buy used. well, as i've said in other posts, i really prefer buying new, but maybe in this case i should consider it. after all, what i'm looking for here is an instrument that will be something that i may noodle around on, but it's not gonna be my primary axe. i'm looking for something playable for my grandson and future grandkids. it might be something that i eventually give to them, but right now i'm just thinking i'd like to have something around that's playable for them. so i guess i'll check out ebay and Craig's list for those Squires, maybe a MIM Fender...and yes, that Duo Sonic. i actually like the look of it, even the color is growing on me.

5. largo

largo Strat-Talker

gcconspiracy, i'm nowhere near ready to take on modding my guitars, except perhaps for the simplest and easiest of mods. so what i'm looking for is a stock instrument that's a good, playable student-level guitar that i'll have some fun noodling around on myself.

6. Chad11491

Chad11491 Strat-Talk Member

gcconspiracy meant that the deluxe already has so many mods on it that even MIM fenders don't have stock. like the rolled fingerboard edges and Duncan Designed Pickups and all. I have one too and it's worth 3x it's price in my opinion. It is better then every MIM i've played. and i'm not biased for squier or anything. I just found i didn't have to spend 600+ to get a good guitar in this case! I think it's worth it. Either that, or the Classic Vibe 50's was great too. I thought it sounded rather bad plugged in, but great unplugged. but maybe it was just the one i played. Sorry for the long post.

7. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Strat-Talk Member

Largo, the $99 Bullets, available at any of the major musical supply houses is a great deal. Just check out the Bullet love thread. A lot of folks are hot-roding their Bullets, but they are very capable as is. I love mine and I have several more expensive guitars as a frame of reference.

8. Zman

Zman Strat-Talker

How about something like this.
    Fender Squier Mini Strat 3/4 length- Red - reviews, compare UK prices, buy online
    I had a friend who had one and he like to play it more than his regular.
    As long as they have a very low action and slim neck I would say that any of the Squiers would be great.
    The worst thing for a small child is a guitar that is hard to play ie: hard to hold down the strings.
    The newer Squiers can be adjusted for a very light action so they would be perfect.

9. largo

largo Strat-Talker

i'm sorry, gcconspiracy, i guess i didn't understand your post. looking at it again i still would like to get something cleared up.

just what Deluxe are you talking about? boy, Fender has so many series and models, it's hard to keep up. since this is a Squier forum, i thought you might be referring to the Squier Deluxe Hot Rails Strat, but your comments about "upgrades" and it being "a little pricer" don't track with that.

are you talking about Fender MIM Deluxe series? if so, what specific model? Fat Strat? Player's?

10. largo

largo Strat-Talker

guitaradelic, thanx for that recommendation. i've seen the Bullet Strats in a catalog but haven't heard/played one. i'll check out the thread you mentioned.

11. largo

largo Strat-Talker

Zman, as it happens i was in our GC today and got to play a Mini Strat. it was a buzz monster. when i commented on it, one of the workers volunteered that another right out of the box was the same way.

12. Zman

Zman Strat-Talker

Hey largo: The only Mini I have seen or played was already set up and intonated. I would say all guitars and I mean all, should be set up and intonated after you get them.
    I only put it to you as an option, for smaller children.
    The Deluxe Strat we are referring to is the one that comes in two colors. Daphne blue and White Pearl Metalic. They are a standard series with Deluxe trim. Made in Indonesia, with the Duncan Design SC101 pickups, and the really cool neck.
    I have both.
    [​IMG]

13. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

We bought an older bullet (02) for my nephew for Christmas. I played around on it and figured I'd do a basic setup on it before giving it to him. Evidently, it had already been setup properly. Played great. Loved the neck. Sounded good. Pups are a little on the funky side, but other than that a great guitar for a beginner. Used can be found pretty cheap. We found this one for $80 with nice hard case, cheapie amp (ibanez), tuner strap, cord. Thinner body on the older hardtails like this one. But I figure that would be easier than a whammy and all the associated tuning issues that can crop up.

I do however, love the deluxe. What a great guitar! I would recommned it to anyone,

Good luck making the decision.

Randy