which squier?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by bin4christ, Sep 3, 2008.

Which squier?

1. Bullet

21.1%
  2. California

1.8%
  3. Affinity

18.4%
  4. Standard

7.9%
  5. Vintage Modified

5.3%
  6. Classic Vibe 50's

30.7%
  7. Classic Vibe 60's

14.9%
  1. Wild_Rose

Wild_Rose Strat-Talk Member

that is so sweet! you will also have a great guitar band! :D

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member

I voted Standard because it is the best choice amongst the Indonesian ones.

I have no use fer the Chinese ones, none. No use.

The Deluxe wasn't listed, but that's ok, the Standard is a better guitar fer moddin'.

Bubbanov

3. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Strat-Talker

#1 with a "Bullet".

[​IMG]

4. kenc79xl

kenc79xl New Member!

more than one vote for more than one Squier

I'm new so please bear with me, but it seem that if you have more that one Squirer you might like to vote for more that one. My Bullet is a Hardtail and the Affinities are not. I have both Chinese and Indonesia. The Indonesia is the only one close to stock, it plays to good to change!
    Thanks in Advance
    Ken

5. Nut4rock

Nut4rock Strat-Talk Member

After playing both the 50's and 60's Squire Vibes a few weeks earlier, I can't imagine buying another Squire model (that is currently available.) Fantastic instruments.

6. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

Just got to play the Classic Vibe Tele, 50s Strat, and 60s Strat this morning at one of my local music stores. All three were unbelievably good for the price, but my personal preference is for rosewood fretboards, so if I were in the market for a new guitar - medical bills would have to be paid off first - it would definitely be the Classic Vibe 60s model, even over an MIM Strat. It would be a close run thing even choosing between the 60 and a Jimmie Vaughn Strat, which is another fantastic value.

JAMES

7. dan P

dan P Strat-Talker

IMHO the necks are what really stand out, can't complain about the beautiful three piece light alder body either...CV 50'S

8. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Squier Sliver Series Marvin

I've got a Squier Silver Series MIJ Hank Marvin Strat, Fiesta Red (what other colour?) a la 50's
    Bought it here in Southern England, the guy in the shop opened the box, slit open the polystyrene type cover,strummed it and WOW!! it was in tune. And the set up and action is as superb as ever.

It's got a very very chunky neck which I believe helps the tone and sustain. This guitar has been through hell & back and apart from fret wear it's in great shape for its age, which must be now in excess of 15 years old.

Doesn't often come out of its case now but I'd be loathed to part with it.

9. gazmon

gazmon Strat-Talk Member

nice

mijstrat72
    your bullet strat raises the bar...........who needs to spend 900 dollars
    nice work

gazmon

10. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Strat-Talk Member

50's Classic Vibe ... cause I ordered one.

Chris

11. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 Strat-Talk Member

I just received my 50's classic vibe yesterday and all I can say is that you would be crazy not to get one. I wasn't big on the two-tone sunburst until I got mine. It is beautiful. The finish is worlds above other squiers I have seen and played. The hardware is awesome (other than the tremolo block) and the neck is to die for. The pickups sound great and give me that vintage strat tone that I have been seeking. I just wish the pickguard was the mint green instead of white but I may change that later...seriously pick up a CV strat and you won't regret it. If you want a demo of the two (50's and 60's) go to YouTube - Squier Classic Vibe 50's and 60's strat demo.
    ~Nick

12. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Strat-Talker

Particularly if yer a newbie, but this applies to the gearhead pro's as well, all that matters about guitars is the following - playability, tone, looks, cost - put that list in any order ya like and apply it to buying a guitar, any guitar, even a Strat. And, depending on how picky or anal ya are, do realize that you may end up changing some or all of the parts of yer new and carefully thought-out Strat. :)

13. ShiftingKevin

ShiftingKevin Strat-Talk Member

For those wishing to have better/fatter necks, be careful! The thin-body Squiers don't necessarily take the standard Strat neck without modification. My first electric was an Affinity from 2000 that was the light-weight, low-profile design. The neck was so cheap that I could bend it enough to touch the strings to the ~20th fret with one hand while I stood up with it. The neck height at the heel was shallow compared to the standard strat necks, though, so I had to take off about 3/16" (IIRC) at the heel of a cheap fat-C neck I put on there. Though it's more trouble, if you're dead seton adding a standard size Strat neck to a thin Squier, I'd recommend shaving the neck pocket instead of doing what I did. To be honest, though, I think the best way would be to buy a Squier with a standard sized body, and then upgrade the neck.

As always, YMMV.

14. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

Voted 60's here as I'm currently waiting on mine :D

15. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

go with the bullet...its cheap and you can mod like there's no tomorrow.

the classic vibes are nice...very nice...but $300 for a squier!!!!??? come on, if you are going to pay 300 smackaroos for a guitar go ahead and get a MIM for 100 more.

The classic vibes are nice, but I modded a bullet with a tortoise shell pickguard, Vintage Reissue 50s Pickups and aged covers and I only paide $180guitar included!

16. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

Quick Pro/Con.

CV Squier = Shield Cavity, Body Ground, Custom Pickups.

MIM Standard = None of the above.

So for $100 more, what are you getting other than the Fender Stratocaster sticker vs the Squier "by Fender" sticker to represent the price increase ?

17. therevyevot

therevyevot Strat-Talker

So I voted for the Vintage Modified, but I do have to say, something was missing from this poll. How about the old Japanese-made Squiers? This one cost like $300 back in 1988 and it still wails pretty nicely.

Attached Files:

18. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

I feel what you're saying, Shade; because I did (albeit with an Affinity SE) exactly what you're describing. That being said, I personally like both of the CV Strats more than the MiM Strat. If I had 400 dollars to spend, I'd get the CV and spend the rest on a decent case.

JAMES

19. Gonzalo

Gonzalo New Member!

Chinese Squier Strat

I play a lovely Chinese Squier Strat California Series (photos soon). I replace the bridge pu, and now she have a more defined voice. I have lots of mods in mind, but actually my Squier is sounding good for me.
    My amps are an all tube Traynor YGM-3 (20 watts) and a solid state Yamaha Bass Combo (200 watts). I use a wha, an IBANEZ PUE5, an a DIGITECH RP7 tube. All my gear match beautifully with my Squier.

20. GregP

GregP Strat-Talker

I voted for the CV 50s as that is all I am playing at the moment. I plan on picking up the CV 60s in a few days but I have always been partial to maple necks on Strats. Of course all the talk of the VMs has me jonesing for one of those now as well.

...Greg