Join Strat-Talk Today

While I wait... what should I do with this?

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Bowmap, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Oh... @Triple Jim , I got one of those jewelers optics thingy. This one has a light on it and that really does help. Thanks for the tip.

Bodean and Triple Jim like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Good, I'm glad it helps. Whatever you're working on, you have to be able to see it clearly!

3. Bowmap

A metaphor for life...

4. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

He really is, isn’t he? I’m glad he’s pushing too.

FYI I want one of these speakers. :)

Bowmap likes this.
  5. Bowmap

Work is killing me. I wind up with not much time these days to get to the projects I want to do. It is nice to be needed... but...

At least I was able to secure some material for the cabinet. The folks that supplied the wood for the termite tele still had some. :)

So the amp will match the guitar. How kewl is that! The bad news is my band saw is still in my neighbors barn and he has his own project going which makes it impossible to roll my band saw out for use. So there it stays, lonely and hungry.

Parts 11 sm.jpg

The wood is 2in thick. It needs to be re-sawed and then planed.

The Strat Dude and CB91710 like this.
  6. Bowmap

Well last weekend I got the chance to use my band saw to re-saw these pieces of maple. It always fun to find out what is hidden on the inside. Some times a dud and some times something really nice and interesting. It took a little bit to get setup and replace the blade to a re-saw blade. Setup the fence, I have a tall re-saw fence on it. Make sure everything looks good and is tracking right. Set the guide height and spin it up. Re-sawing is one of those operations I do not take lightly. I always watch where my fingers are and they are not allowed to get closer than 6 inches. I have about 8 inches of blade exposed. It is a new blade and I would not feel it taking off my fingers. Enough of that let get to slicing these pieces down the middle. I do have to say, this is the first I have done a re-saw. It went very smooth. No blade jitter. The book matching went well and no blood was spilled.

Today I had a client cancel their afternoon appointment so I knocked off early. Time to setup the surface planer and smooth out these pieces. The final target thickness was 3/4 inch. Setup, planing, and clean up took about an hour. I think the results are going to be good.

Parts 12 sm.jpg

I think I well use the pair on the left above for the top of the cabinet. And the right pair will be the bottom.

Parts 13 sm.jpg
    These pairs will become the sides.

I think there will be no mistaking that this amp will belong with the Termite Tele.

Thanks for looking.

The Strat Dude and Bodean like this.
  7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

I don't want to encroach on the @fezz parka turf of being a "pusher" of the 5E3, but I must admit that mine is my favorite amp of all time! The true honesty of the wide range of unadulterated sounds is unbelievable! My only gripe is that there is no easy/convenient way to do a good effects loop. I'm an echo/delay junkie and hate the way echo and reverb sound before the amp. The only solution I've found so far is a two amp, wet/dry setup that is neither convenient nor easy! This conundrum has me gigging with a DSL20CR and a great attenuator. Certainly not the same as a Tweed, but passable! It is also why my next build (in the planning stages) will be a 5F8, high power Twin preamp mated to a 5E3 cathodyne phase inverter and 6V6 cathode bias power section, with the incorporation of the presence layout from a 5E4 Super! My goal is to retain ll of the chewy goodness of the 5E3 design, while developing enough tonal complexity in the preamp to have a nicely functioning effects loop!

And @Bowmap that's gonna be a stellar looking cabinet!I hope you've got (or gonna get) a nice little Anvil style road case like mine.

IMG_1121.JPG

Happy Strippin', Drillin', Screwin' & Solderin' To Ya!
    Gene

Bowmap likes this.
  8. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

Check this out for a simple fx loop mod. I've done this to one of my 5e3 and it works fine.

https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm#FX_Loop

CB91710 and Bowmap like this.
  9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

@jstewart
    Well, that's a wonderful example of how assumptions that I make can bite me right in the wazoo! I've just assumed that there would not be enough of the overall sound/character of the amp developed by that point in the circuit, so never even bothered to try. It will certainly not hurt anything to break the circuit at that point and try it! :cool: Now that I'm building a way to externally power an active effects loop that can theoretically be used as an "add-on" for any passive loop, this may be very cool!

And yeah, I've spent way more hours than I'll admit reading Rob Robinettes stuff. The level of time, effort and dedication that he's put into that information is mind boggling!

Thanks For Your Thoughts,
    Gene

jstewart and Bowmap like this.
  10. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

Almost everything I know about 5e3 mods comes from discussions with Rob and his webpage. If there was ever a websit I’d pay to access, that would be one of them.

Bowmap likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.