Join Strat-Talk Today

While I wait... what should I do with this?

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Bowmap, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Oh... @Triple Jim , I got one of those jewelers optics thingy. This one has a light on it and that really does help. Thanks for the tip.

Triple Jim likes this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Good, I'm glad it helps. Whatever you're working on, you have to be able to see it clearly!

3. Bowmap

A metaphor for life...

4. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

He really is, isn’t he? I’m glad he’s pushing too.

FYI I want one of these speakers. :)

Bowmap likes this.
  5. Bowmap

Work is killing me. I wind up with not much time these days to get to the projects I want to do. It is nice to be needed... but...

At least I was able to secure some material for the cabinet. The folks that supplied the wood for the termite tele still had some. :)

So the amp will match the guitar. How kewl is that! The bad news is my band saw is still in my neighbors barn and he has his own project going which makes it impossible to roll my band saw out for use. So there it stays, lonely and hungry.

Parts 11 sm.jpg

The wood is 2in thick. It needs to be re-sawed and then planed.

CB91710 likes this.
  6. Bowmap

Well last weekend I got the chance to use my band saw to re-saw these pieces of maple. It always fun to find out what is hidden on the inside. Some times a dud and some times something really nice and interesting. It took a little bit to get setup and replace the blade to a re-saw blade. Setup the fence, I have a tall re-saw fence on it. Make sure everything looks good and is tracking right. Set the guide height and spin it up. Re-sawing is one of those operations I do not take lightly. I always watch where my fingers are and they are not allowed to get closer than 6 inches. I have about 8 inches of blade exposed. It is a new blade and I would not feel it taking off my fingers. Enough of that let get to slicing these pieces down the middle. I do have to say, this is the first I have done a re-saw. It went very smooth. No blade jitter. The book matching went well and no blood was spilled.

Today I had a client cancel their afternoon appointment so I knocked off early. Time to setup the surface planer and smooth out these pieces. The final target thickness was 3/4 inch. Setup, planing, and clean up took about an hour. I think the results are going to be good.

Parts 12 sm.jpg

I think I well use the pair on the left above for the top of the cabinet. And the right pair will be the bottom.

Parts 13 sm.jpg
    These pairs will become the sides.

I think there will be no mistaking that this amp will belong with the Termite Tele.

Thanks for looking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.