White dots and scratches in brand new American ProII Stratocaster Black Color

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by EndWalker, Nov 1, 2021.

1. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

It's not Fender, it's the law. A consumers first resort is to the retailer. The retailer then choses what to do depending on the time elapsed from purchase. In most cases 30 days for refund, then it's repair or replace. If the retailer thinks they can get something done under warranty they will do that.

savofenno likes this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

In the states it is ...
    The Magnuson-Moss Act.
    http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim
    Warranties aren't required, but when the manufacturer offers a warranty they are required to be quite specific about it. The seller's responsibility is limited to inducements offered at their end.

Fender chooses to warrant their product. It's on the little card they stick in the baggie.

3. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Every country is different (well the EU brought some conformity but the UK's out of that now).

CB91710 likes this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

The question then becomes whether the manufacturer, who warrants their product, warrants that product at point of sale or solely within the country of ...
    I think less and less of fender with each passing moment.

5. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Ya... not every country has the same consumer protection laws that we have here.
    Some countries don't even have factory warranties.

6. CB91710

It's not unique to Fender.
    Their job is to make money by building and selling guitars.
    If government regulation or market pressure require that they fix or accept returns, they do it, otherwise, it is often between the buyer and seller to resolve disputes.

7. CB91710

Even more complex, because of distributor and dealer arrangements.
    Fender may not even have a corporate presence in some countries/regions, but rather ship to an importer, who has their own distributor and dealer network... and their own policies of handling returns and pricing.
    Fender may have little to no control over what happens overseas.

8. sopirate55

sopirate55 Strat-Talker

Anyone else thinks the retailer in this case seems sketchy? That guitar looks like they may have swapped out a demo with the new one. And then trying to make him pay for s&h.

fattboyzz likes this.
  9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

If it aint perfect in every way you deserve a new one ;)

10. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Strat-Talk Member

By Leo's ghost, the mountains this forum makes out of molehills is a never ending source of entertainment.

I have done nothing but pamper my Elite (it lives in the case when I'm not actively playing it) but in the first year it had all sorts of dings and scratches all over, far worse than what's in OPs photos. The back especially, from my belt buckle. Doesn't mean I love it any less.

However I absolutely think OP's dealer should offer him something; when I bought my RG550 reissue there was a paint chip on the lower horn. I asked about it and they said they'd take 50 bucks off or give me a free case. I took the case but I would have been more than happy with the 50 bucks because I loved the way the guitar played. Does the ding bother me? No, because I'm an adult who wanted a guitar to play, not stare at in a hermetically sealed plexiglass case on my wall :rolleyes:

A discounted price is in order but sending back a black finished guitar with scratches like it's a factory second is ridiculous. People wonder why consumer goods cost so much these days but never listen when it's suggested that modern consumer culture partially to blame.

CB91710 and Doc538 like this.
  11. Davey76

Davey76 Strat-Talk Member

M
    My friend. That is lint and it is under the clear coat. So how it works is Poly, which is the colour and then top coat or clear coat. That is dust, lint and something else. You will never get that out unless you sand down the whole finish which is clearly not an option. Whoever passed that off as quality checked needs to lose their job. From Fender, I’m really disappointed but not surprised. They have been heading in the same direction as what Gibson did when thing started going south and I can see them losing a lot of customers in the next 5-10 years.
    I would take that guitar back and demand a new one. Like DEMAND a new one.

stratocarlster likes this.
  12. Davey76

Davey76 Strat-Talk Member

Mat
    Mate, that is lint and specs in between the paint and the clear coat. Hell never get it out unless he sands the finish down and he’s never going to do that. It’s a really really poor effort from fender and it warrants a replacement. As a brand new guitar from the factory to retail, that is appalling that they are happy to send that out. It shows where fender are today.

stratocarlster likes this.
  13. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I don't think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. If you ordered a new car and it showed up with swirls all over the finish would you be ok with that? Scratches don't affect how it drives. And it's going to get scratches over time anyway. But that's not the point. You paid good money for a brand new item and you have every right to expect it to arrive in new condition.

Now, that being said I agree with your point about the discount. If it was me and they offered to knock something off the price, or throw in a case or a pedal or something, I would probably go for that. But I wouldn't pay full price for that... not when I could pick up a used guitar in that condition for much less.

14. Matopotato

Matopotato Strat-Talk Member

I would involve Fender support and the store in joint communication. State your claim and question the validity of being "punished" 150 usd for something you did not do. I did similar thing about a power bank and I think the shop (cc to CEO since support were nagging) and maker realized it was best to refund me.

Second, see if you can find some online store with proper return conditions that ship to HK. In Europe there are several and Thomann in Germany ship for free over some level, and 14 days free return. No questions asked.
    If you are lucky to find such company you can ask them to play through a couple of guitars for you. Set it up and trim for you. It is in both of your interest. To avoid you sending back too many times.

15. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker Silver Member

You have a problem with getting a return or exchange from the only local Fender Dealer who offers no warranty. You waited 3 months (I don't know why) to get it and it has minor defects in the finish, I think you would be better off keeping it and asking for some compensation because of the defects. You are in China and everything is different from the USA. As for black being a hard color, it sure is. I bought a brand-new Dodge in black and the dealer had to repaint it 3 times, It had spots under the clear coat, then Orange peal from the repaints, ended up not having the car for 4 months and the finish was not much better in the end. I would have been better off taking a cash settlement, just as you are.

16. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

I'm assuming you don't live in the U.S. so there could have been issues when shipping. Plus its black so you see everything. Neck pocket could have been from careless shipping as well. I don't know if I would return it, I'd have to see it in a room - very small things that can probably not be seen without a light shining right on it.

17. dasherf17

dasherf17 Strat-Talk Member

The fact of the matter is you want a great quality-looking guitar as well as great sounding...something you can be proud to show off to everyone...there will be scrutiny.

18. dasherf17

dasherf17 Strat-Talk Member

I agree with both you and endwalker... from Fender (any mfgr, for that matter)? Not good.

19. azharkamal

azharkamal Strat-Talk Member

If I were unhappy with the purchase of a new item upon delivery, I‘d claim warranty with the shop and ask for an official return and direct replacement even if it means another wait. That’s what you can expect when you buy new in brick and mortar.

20. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

If it came with the carton closed with tape like that, it was re-packaged, they don't leave the factory looking like that. That doesn't make it technically used, but based on the nicks on the cable jack, I would think it has been "demo-ed" more than a little.