Who’s side are you on?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratafied, Sep 21, 2021.

1. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The Wizard next door................

Well, I was going to say similar. Where I'm originally from, that is a very good way to get pointed at you the kind of things you don't want pointed at you!

Stratafied and rolandson like this.
  2. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

You don't pay for your car they come take it, you don't make the payment on your house they come and kick you out, how is this any different other than you haven't seen it before?

Stratafied likes this.
  3. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

I was siding with the contractor (not excusing his tactics though) until I saw the pics. Yikes....

Personal Gsus and Stratafied like this.
  4. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

That's why they waited until she was at work, and frankly it works both ways.
    Pay your bills.

Stratafied likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

The images and video are sufficient on their face to corroborate the claim that the work wasn't finished.
    There is no way this contractor or the company he co-owns, survives the civil action that is the fully loaded freight train headed at them at full speed. They're toast.

nadzab, Chuck8436 and Stratafied like this.
  6. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

I'm on whatever side that says unprofessional contractors need to be out of business.

If the work is finished, then the bill needs to be settled up. However, if payment hasn't been made it's a court matter. You don't get to take a sledge hammer to their property under any circumstance.

I like how they worded the vandalism as "repossessing the tiles" which would also need a legal process to be followed. In addition to the tiles did that contractor do the framing, drywall and electrical? A sledge hammer "repossesses" everything it touches.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    JB74, Chuck8436, Stratafied and 2 others like this.
  7. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

How many think this video was created for hits?

uncle daddy, JB74 and Stratafied like this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Here in hipsterville it's called "Small Claims Court" and is limited to something around $5600 or so...I think. That, at least, was the amount I claimed and was awarded when I went after a contractor for shoddy work.

It took dragging his ass to a "judgment-debtor hearing" before he ponied up the dough. But 'pony up the dough' he did.

The advantage of a small claims action is that it is expedited, usually set out 3 months from filing, not subject to appeal, and relatively inexpensive, as it avoids much of the intricacies of a full on civil claim...

...Like this contractor is about to be educated in. The depositions are going to be very entertaining!

Stratafied likes this.
  9. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Could be.

10. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

That tile work really really sux
    He shoulda been tossed off the job BEFORE he finished with crap like that

Stratafied and rolandson like this.
  11. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talker

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Here's what really stinks on this:

"Trucke said she paid the two contractors $3,330 of an owed $7,555, according to invoices she posted to her Facebook account. Cazares sent Trucke a Facebook Pay request for the remainder on Friday morning, according to conversations with Trucke posted on Facebook.

She told the homeowner that she had until that evening to pay up.

Initially, Trucke asked to return from work, see the finished product, get receipts proving that the contractors had ordered a yet-uninstalled shower door and ensure that water would flow properly through the newly-installed plumbing before paying.

Around 9.30 am on Saturday, 23 hours after the contractor demanded payment, Cazares and Gregory came back to Trucke's apartment while she was at work, demolition equipment in hand."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...r-sledgehammers-remodeled-bathroom/ar-AAOG6hm

It just seems blatantly obvious they wanted to have all the money locked away before she turned on the water and saw puddles coming from behind the walls. I've never heard of anything so crazy where you have to ask "Hey, umm, hate to be a pest, but can i actually have some time when I get home from work to see what a crummy job you did before you rip me off for the full amount?". And looking at those pictures, holy smokes. Who was operating the tile cutter? Helen Keller?

12. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Here in Houston there's a guy who started a highly respected window company.

He had a big contract with a relatively big building company that decided it wasn't going to pay.

He started breaking windows.

When the builder called the cops he pointed to the contract both had signed which had a clause in it "title does not pass until full payment has been made". In other words, the windows hadn't been paid for, so the builders didn't own them, and the guy was completely entitled to break his own windows.

Years later. An offshore construction contractor I used to work for had a similar situation with some very expensive high tech flexible pipelines they had installed. The client wouldn't pay. So the contractor went back out, pulled them up and shipped them to Brazil.

13. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

in the 80's a a guy my dad worked for collected non payment by bringing in his skil saw and was 2 seconds from sawing up the floor when the homeowner suddenly decided to pay.

guy was a ww2 pearl harbor vet who did AMAZING quality work and was getting jived...i was 13 and extremely entertained to say the least !

rip tc carson

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  14. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I wouldn’t have hired the guy, I’m sure he initially presented himself like a Azz hole.

Bob the builder likes this.
  15. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

My father likes to bring back a memory of my grandfather who was a brick mason and one day he asked my 16 years old father in 1962 if he wanted to come with him on a ride.
    he stopped by a house and told my father to sit, wait and watch. He knocked on the door, asked for his money on a brick wall he built weeks ago, an agressive verbal confrontation followed leading to my grandfather grabbing a sledgehammer and destroying the wall.

as he got back into the truck, he told my father SEE SON, THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO FIND A UNION REGULATED JOB.

my father worked for 42 years under a union and I'm at my 15th year as a union member. On that day, he changed 2 life

Stratafied and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  16. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

Yup.

Sometimes on a job with a lot of materials I'll see a partial payment upfront to cover material cost. Then when the job is fully finished, contractor and client go over the results together. If all are satisfied issue a bill and pay promptly.

Cerb and Bob the builder like this.
  17. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Glad to see I'm not the only who believes that once we Denverites drive south of Monument Hill we feel like we're on another planet. The Springs is very different city.

I can't say that I disagree with refusing to produce a copy of the contract either. What can Channel 13 do? Say bad things about the contractor?

I'm 100% certain there's more to the story than was revealed in what IMHO was a pretty poor investigative piece. But we'll never hear the end result anyway.

But it would not shock me to find a judge telling the contractor to return and do the job he destroyed over again under force of law and threat of contempt if refused.

Stratafied likes this.
  18. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

This is one of those things where foreigners shake their heads and say...
    5nyfk4.jpg

19. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    We once didn't pay the full amount because the work was so bad, after several unsuccessful attempts by the guy to fix it, we had to hire someone else to. The idiot didn't have a leg to stand on, because he'd asked for a part to be paid under the table so we'd already paid him more than he officially invoiced us for.
    I felt a bit sorry for him but, frankly, he and his team were incompetent and I've since heard other horror stories (eg left one family of 4 for 3 weeks with no toilet).
    I no longer hire anyone if they're available immediately or say yes to everything...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    nadzab, rolandson, Stratafied and 2 others like this.
  20. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I think this is a situation that occurs everywhere and is absolutely with justification.

If someone does not perform work to a reasonable standard and has been paid to a point, but also refuses to rectify any defects, then they shouldn't receive a single penny more - furthermore they should rectify their defective or substandard work, or have their insurance (yes I know but here there is legal recourse for this kind of thing) pay for another contractor to fix it.

9/10 times they fix, because having a blemish on insurance literally means you won't get any work.

Mansonienne likes this.