Who else was made to learn acoustic guitar first?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, May 28, 2020.

1. rbspql

rbspql Strat-Talker

I started around 1975 on an old, cheap Spanish guitar one of my uncles gave me and my sister to learn with a few chords drawn on a piece of paper. The guitar had been restrung with metal strings and our fingertips were massacred...
    We just wanted some backing while we sang. I learned by trying each chord on the songs until I thought it was good. With time I figured how it worked. I was not interested in soloing.
    But In a few years things changed. My parents bought me the electric guitar in my avatar in 1980 (a cheap Strat copy).
    When asked, I always say I play guitar, I don't specify "electric". It would be weird to imagine someone who claims can they play guitar and find he/she clumsy on an acoustic.
    Maybe it's because at the time it was considered normal to start from acoustic/classic/spanish before moving "on" to electric guitar.

2. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I started on a garage sale ukulele. Got it for free, tuned it like a guitar (first four strings). Had plastic frets and was full of cigarette butts when I found it. Wasn't until many years later that I learned how to properly tune a Uke.

3. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

You all act like learning your first instrument was some kind of torture you were “forced” into? I save up lawn mowing money and bought first a $13 Stella 3/4 acoustic, then later a $22 Teisco Del Ray. I was possessed to learn and play against my parents indifference and mental abuse. At 12 years old, in 1966, I couldn’t get enough of the guitar playing of Elmore James, John Lee Hooker, and BB King. I also loved the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, and “Journey to the Center of the Mind” by the Amboy Dukes. Talk Talk, by the Music Machine is still one of the heaviest “pop” records ever made! They are the fathers of heavy metal! Grand Funk! Johnny Winter, Cream, Hendrix, Zep, etc. So the only think that “forced” me was my own passion.

4. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

It's a similar question to: do you learn on a piano or an organ? Most instructors will insist on piano first, but an organ is a specialized instrument and if you're going to be a pipe organ player...

It's one of those, "What do you plan do do?" kind of things. It's not a bad idea to learn on a good action, playable acoustic guitar. I know this: if you learn on electric and get used to it, adapting to an acoustic later will be very difficult. But if you learn on a good acoustic first, later switching to an electric is a breeze. We notice a whole lot of professional players using an acoustic in their shows. So chances are, acoustic is a better place to start overall. But there's nothing "wrong" with starting on an electric. It's all music.

5. jim293

jim293 Senior Stratmaster

I wasn't forced into it. But I really wanted to learn. SO yeah I started on Acoustic.

6. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talker

My first guitar was an Ovation Celebrity....a super strat style guitar from the late eighties. I won it from a music shop raffle....I didn't get an amp for it for about a year so I played an electric acousticly. Lol

7. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

Violin... Tried that for a very brief period. My parents had me back on guitar soon there after.

8. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I started guitar on an archtop with a pickup. So it served as both electric and acoustic untill I bought a 330 type thinner guitar. I never payed solid body guitars back then. I actually HATED strats with their 3 position switch. Always fumbled the matchbook thing on stage. Actually never owned anything other than a hollow body or archtop electric untill around '94 when my son started using them all the time. First strat I owned was a HM strat that I got in trade for an amp. Back in the 60's the only solid body I owned was a Bass.

I never found acoustic playing boring. Neither classical or steel string.

9. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

Ukulele and tonette first, early grade school in Hawaii. Then tenor uke at home, then a little banjo. Then acoustic guitar and very shortly after, dad’s Ibanez Challenger blackguard tele through his drip edge Vibro champ

10. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I got a cheap acoustic first, it makes sense if you're just trying guitar out.

rbspql likes this.
  11. Southpa

Southpa Strat-Talk Member

Early 70's , my mother ordered a Marlin (not Martin) steel string acoustic thru the Sears catalogue. I think it was listed at $32.95. MY 2 older brothers noodled around on it for a little while but it didn't stick. It had one of those C-shaped, ****ty little necks with high action. That was a real ball-buster to learn on but, in retrospect, probably made me a better player. You certainly develop good strength and dexterity when learning how to make a crappy guitar sound good. I guess you could say that's where I learned how to FIX guitars too! :D I didn't get my first electric until about 10 yrs later. A 1967 Hagstrom III, I still have it! I had to relearn a few things, ie. lighten up on the finger pressure and pick attack as well as shorten up my strumming. Funny, I have a friend who learned on electric guitars. Mostly scales, melodies, improvising etc. He got his first acoustic 15 yrs later and didn't know how to strum out a song! He had to relearn his timing and new nothing of the percussive nature of the acoustic guitar. Hagstrom 002.jpg

12. johnl4

johnl4 New Member!

I had to learn acoustic first because we were poor. My first guitar was something in like a $15 Sears guitar which I had through high school. My second guitar was a used hundred dollars acoustic Giannini, which pretty much was my only guitar for several years, and, even during my two years of active service in the army. Then, one of my army buddies actually gave me a cheap electric Strat style, which was my first electric guitar, and had with me through most of my time in college. However, I never really had a decent amplifier for it. Long story short, I now have a Les Paul a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Stratocaster, on which I consider myself a student of electric guitar. Don't get me wrong I still play acoustics probably everyday as well since, I have a couple Taylors, 3 Martins, and a Yamaha FG180, which all sound great with no amps.

13. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

This likely sounds ridiculous, but it didn’t cross my mind to get an electric first. I had tried and flopped with a steel string acoustic and group lessons when I was 10, and I wanted something that would be easy on the fingertips. That turned out to be a classical guitar.

Bowmap likes this.
  14. Strums

Strums Strat-O-Master

By choice, the acoustic was my first guitar. The electric came much later on in life.