1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Who has gone Custom Shop and what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by cmm71, Oct 13, 2020.

1. cmm71

cmm71 Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Hey all, I've played strats on and off since my parents got me a Hondo strat copy in 1985. Over these past decades I've really come to prefer 1 5/8 nuts and 7 1/4 radius fretboards. The newer American Professional neck is just really uncomfortable for me. I've tried the American Original 50s Strat and liked it but the neck felt a bit too chunky. I'm starting to wonder if it's Custom Shop time. My current strat is a Japanese ST-57. I replaced the tremelo with an American Vintage. I replaced the pickups with DiMarzio Area 58s (I live in a very noisy house...60 cycle hum is out of hand). Anyway, who has made the jump to Custom Shop? Any regrets?

circles and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  2. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone jumping to Custom Shop because of a production line neck being too chunky. I'm sure there are other reasons you've considered but just didn't mention. Also, it may be important to distinguish whether you mean "made-to-order" Custom Shop or the the "production line" Custom Shop. The one in my avatar is a custom-made/made-to-order one. The rest I've owned are from the production models.

You may be disappointed with my "generic" answer, but others opinions/thoughts likely won't...perhaps I should say...shouldn't influence how you feel about them. To some people, they're not worth the money. To others, they certainly are. Only each individual can determine this. I'll never suggest to anyone how they should spend and use their money.

With that being said, I have no regrets about the two I have (the custom ordered one and production one). They're my two favorite Strats...but I'll never buy another one lol. Great guitars, but stupid expensive.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Buy a used AVRI if you can stand vintage frets.

4. cmm71

I would absolutely go AVRI if the used market falls back in line. Ultimately, its what I want.

Erik_C likes this.
  5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Go to the Fender website, there is a Mod shop section that lets you pick and choose parts. You might be able to find what you want there vs CS

Henry2 likes this.
  6. PAULYWALNUTZ

PAULYWALNUTZ New Member!

I'ver always gone with the "blind-fold" method. Bring a friend or grab a sales person. Select a few Strats, then. ask the person to hand you a guitar at a time "blind-folded" Ask yourself how's it feel? Sitting, Standing, sound etc. In the order of your priority. You'll be surprised at what you'll end up with. If need be, continue the process. Its a great learning process and a helluva lot of fun!
    CS' are mfg'd using the original blueprints (NOS) Though the "relic" fad is a bu nah of nonsense. Having a Strat that looks like it was on the bad end of a bar brawl is would ridiculous. A guitar made to look like it went through hell and back wouldn't be playable. I've got a pre-cbs 62 in mint condition. Good luck :)

Groovey, Dreamdancer and jrbirdman like this.
  7. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

Spend £60 on some razor files and reshape the back of the necks that are too big.

Iwasaki is my recommendation

or spend £400 on a custom order neck

or spend £4000 on a custom guitar.

if you’ve got the scratch, go for it. If your handy and like messing with guitars as well as playing them get some razor files and a radius block and buy any neck and reshape and radius it to what you want.

nickmsmith and Dreamdancer like this.
  8. cmm71

I agree on the relic thing being nonsense. "We almost have your custom strat finished, we just have to drag it down highway 1 behind a our technicians' Ford and then we'll have it on the way."

The Clapton strat's V neck is pretty nice, I had one of those once, but I've really come to feel the difference in the nut. When I wrap my hand around a 1 5/8 nut it just feels right. The Clapton also had the 9.5 radius and that just won't do. I've always kind of liked the old Classic Series models that were period correct, but then I already have the CIJ version and its pretty nice. I'm just exploring the idea of a custom shop alternative to be the one strat to rule them all.

9. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

#fauxrelicsareforposers

10. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

Why do people that like relic'd guitars just get on with it whilst those that don't have to tell everybody (over and over) how stupid they are and how anyone that likes them is a fraud.

It's so boring seeing the same people posting the same crap we've all seen on here a million times before.

It's the one thing that brings this site down IMO which is a shame as its probably the most friendly forum I've ever come across.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I've gone custom shop many times and loved the results.

I'm the owner of said shop though...

Nate D, RadioFM74, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Agreed, that whole discussion is pretty long in the tooth.
    Get and play what you like, don't worry about other's opinions.

13. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Play a bunch and see what you like. Used custom shops are out there. CS consistency is typically better. I found my CS on a buddy's recommendation years ago and its been my #1 ever since. A 56 with a soft V maple neck.
    Its a relic. Bugged me 12 years ago. Could care less now.
    I play an 83 Japanese 62 reissue too. Its got "honest wear" due to its age. Its great, but its not my CS.
    Had to get use to the slimmer neck on the Japanese Strat. How do you like the neck on your 57?
    Subjective like 99% of the stuff we discuss here.

14. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Lots of good suggestions here....start not caring about the logo and more about features...the blindfolded test mentioned above is a really nice start....after you figure out exactly what you really like building a guitar with those features is the easy part.

15. cmm71

The neck on my CIJ is ok...its not the best I've felt but its not overly fat. I think sometimes the fat 50s neck is a bit exaggerated. I actually had a Warmoth v neck made for me, but it was a tele. I loved it but I sadly misdrilled the tuner mounting holes and sold it out of frustration. I've had good builds and bad builds, that one went bad quickly.

16. cmm71

I've been in a Gibson phase for about the last 10 years. I recently built two Teles, one turned out well, the other not so well. I sold them both. I found a nice Japanese Strat that really looks great and feels alright. I've owned many, many Strats over the years and have had a chance to really get to know what I like. The point of this thread was to just get a feel for whether a custom shop is worth it. If they still made the AVRI I wouldn't even consider the custom shop. I don't care too much either way about nitro vs poly finish but I certainly have a preference for neck size and shape. Sorry I attacked the relic folks, I should have left it alone. I know people buy custom shops, I never felt I would because there were decent production models on the market. When Fender stepped away from creating vintage-correct re-issues it kind of narrowed my choices.

17. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I have a Custom Shop I picked up used. It’s a very nice guitar... especially at the price. But I’m talking with Mike at the Custom Shop to get something built more just for me. I’m hoping to finalize the particulars this week... Shell Pink or Burgandy Mist over Sunburst .... decisions decisions ...

smithstrato, Nadnitram and Nate D like this.
  18. Twin

Twin Strat-Talker

I used to have a FCS 63 relic with a .790-.930 neck 60s oval C neck- a fairly available option that wouldn’t necessarily require a special order. definitely thinner than the American Original model. That .790 at the top felt like my old 1 5/8 Anderson at the nut. I have somewhat smaller hands and it felt thin to me at the first fret. You could check with Fender. So it went from thin at the nut to about a middle C, closer to the Original, neck by 12th fret. It was also a 9.5 radius. They are around, check the Floor Traveler spec sheets on new or used FCS guitars, or call Fender and see what less expensive models may be a fit for you.

19. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I wonder how many customers you have gained or lost by taking shots at what some folks really like, and others don't, over and over.

Doesn't seem like smart business to me to trash others for their choices. Do you call a customer who comes into your shop with a relic to be worked on a poser to their face?

20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Burgundy mist will make a much bigger impression on stage, if you plan on gigging it.. whenever gigs really get taking off again.

Shell pink will just look like white under most colored lights, I think.