1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Who has gone Custom Shop and what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by cmm71, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Davey76

Davey76 Strat-Talk Member

Well I’ll add my relative inexperienced two cents worth. I have two American pro Strats and one of its Predecessors, the US standards. I’m 6 years into my guitar playing development and just starting to know what I like tonally, visually and feel wise. The two Am pro’s are very close to the feeling I like but I’m not a fan of the V-Mod pickups, to me they are not sweet enough. The US Standard is pretty nice too, very decent feeling but not my favourite colour but I’ll get to that, what I do love about it is the Custom Shop “Fat 50’s” that it came with, I personally love that tone. So in regards to the colour of my US Standard Strat, I bought a white US standard w RW FB and I could not vibe with it at all, the tech set it up really low but somehow it still felt stiff, so it was buzzing and kinda stiff to play at the same time and it was really bothering me, so I took it back and asked if I could swap it for something else. I picked up 3 different Strats, 2 whites and one tobacco w M FB, the two white strats were pretty good but when I played the tobacco on maple, my least desired colour choice, I don’t know, there was just something about the way it felt and sounded. It was that bit heavier than the other two, I like heavier guitars but it just felt nicer so I took it and still have it 5 years later and it’s still all those things. I replaced the synthetic nut to a bone nut as that is my favourite string nut relationship. So now I’ve gotten to know that I do like a fatter neck than your US Standards and Am Pro Prod line Strats although the deep C for me is pretty nice but I could go a bit fatter than that as I’ve discovered fatter necks do affect tone in a positive way, there seems to be that bit sweeter of a tone and better sustain. I really don’t want to open a can of worms on everyone here tho, it’s my opinion and I’ve come to feel it as truth.
    I am after a sonic blue Strat to complete my Strat collection. I’d be after a maple board, close to a 50’s radius neck, 9.5 board, white scratch plate with cream pup covers and knobs, vintage tuners and I will either put Lollers or Kinmans in. I have two Teles with Lollers and Kinmans and I have to say that Kinmans are the nicest sweetest sounding pups I’ve ever heard for what I like to play which is Rock Blues and Funk. The Lollers are up there too. Not personally bothered for or against relic’d guitars. I’m so bloody pedantic about scratching my instruments unnecessarily that a relic is probably better for me as I’d never tell what I did and what was already there, hence just playing the damn thing as it’s meant to be played but I do love a a clean paint job preferably. I think I’m going to go warmoth all in bar the pups. I’ve got a warmoth neck on one of said Teles and it is superb, so I’ll get the whole thing done by them at likely a fraction of the cost of Fender CS besides I really want a brand less headstock for a change. Just summin that sounds and feels amazing, looks amazing yet has no visible branding. People can ask and I’ll tell them but just like the faceless vibe so to speak.

2. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

My CS is the best guitar for me I've ever played. It had all the features I wanted, A Clapton 'V' but with 21 frets, ash body, locking tuners, 6105 frets and a very thin finish with no hard undercoat so I can play my way into my own relic. It had all the features I wanted. Yes, I could some of that with parts from Warmoth but I'd have to pay for someone to put it together and set it up properly and then there'd be a much bigger hit on resale value if ever I wanted to sell.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  3. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

Interesting though as I have both an AVRI 59 thin skin and a CS 59ri strat. My AVRI rarely gets played . My CS does get played a lot. I paid half for the AVRI . It really is a great guitar, but the CS stands above it , especially in feel and playability. Is the CS worth twice what my AVRI cost? For me yes, but ymmv.

4. Paignton boy

Paignton boy New Member!

Custom shop guitars are great but some of the prices can get a bit silly.

5. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

Just curious, when you compare a cs strat that is not setup to your specific needs, how can you compare it to a strat that is setup to your specific needs? Wouldn't your guitar play better and easier by default?

6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Beyond set up, which was perfectly fine, it didn’t have my Zencaster’s neck shape, fret wire or pickups, and it probably didn’t have my preferred strings. My guitar sings when I play it, but the CS guitar was just another Strat, albeit a drop-dead gorgeous example.

My point is that IMHO money doesn’t make a great guitar... time and attention do.

Lewbypls likes this.
  7. tubedude

tubedude Strat-Talk Member

No better than a DeTemple.

8. KoreGeneral

KoreGeneral Strat-Talker

I've played custom shop guitars. They always look nice. I like the flame roasted necks.

Currently I dont own any thing custom shop on any of my guitars other than pickups.