Join Strat-Talk Today

Who here plays Guitar Hero/Rock Band?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by big-daddy-59, Feb 9, 2009.

1. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Strat-Talker

I've noticed the members of this forum tend to be a bit on the mature side. And I was wondering just how many play the guitar video games. My kids got me started on them and it rekindled a desire to learn the guitar for real. I played bass back in high school but that was 30 years ago.

2. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

I'm similar - my wife, a non-musician by all acounts, loves Guitar Hero. My 6yo daughter loves GH, though she's not quite coordinated enough for it.

I'd love to try Rock Band with them. none of us are really gamers, but the times I've tried Rock Band I had a total blast.

All of it just wants me to get better at guitar though :)

3. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

haha, guitar hero is what got me back into guitar
    i still love to play it, im just not what i used to be (cant beat TTFAF on expert anymore:()

4. Poseidon9447

Poseidon9447 Strat-O-Master

I was into guitar hero for a few weeks, got real good too. was spending all my free time playing. Then I realized I was not playing any of my real guitars. I put down the game and picked up my strat and haven't played since.

5. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

I've been getting my drum chops up in Rock Band 2....I can actually warm my hands up playing the Guitar or Bass on hard.

I stopped playing once I beat the complete tour (I wish I could get those hours back)....its actually more fun now as a party game. You should hear my 7 year old belt out the Billy Idol.

6. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

I play video games from time to time but I'm more into Role Playing & Action Games such as Medal of Honor, SOCOM but am a big Star Wars fan and always purchase the new ones such as Knights Of The Old Republic or Jedi Knight etc etc...

But I cannot get into playing Guitar Hero, Rock Band or even Wii for the most part. And when it comes to Guitar Hero, I mean I'd rather play the real thing since I can vs playing a game.

7. DimesProdigy

DimesProdigy Strat-Talker

I love to play rock band and guitar hero, but I love playing my guitar a whole lot more.

8. nars1l

nars1l Strat-Talker

Me too! I tell people I've beaten it now, and I can't prove it anymore :( Damn thats a fun song though..

But yeah - I've played *alot* of rock band/guitar hero in my life, and now it's pretty much a party game. And I try to stick to the drums.. all the guitar parts are just too easy for me now, and playing drums actually helps me build some of those skills so that I might not look like a fool if I'm forced to sit at a real set someday..

9. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I never had any interest in playing a game about playing a guitar in a band. I have plenty of real guitars, amps, a bass and enough people to jam with for real. Playing it as a game just doesn't make sense to me when I have the real thing.

10. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

played it a few times mostly play action/platform games i,ve got a wii,don,t play on it much tho

11. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

I understand where you're coming from, rocks. But for folks who haven't mastered the real instrument, they get a taste of some of why it's fun to play in real life.

My daughter who's 6 likes to do the strumming side of the guitar control; I do the fretting side. Together we do okay.

Meanwhile, she learns a ton of fun classic rock songs, instead of yet another Hannah Montana / High School Musical monstrosity :mad:

12. hendrixfan

Meanwhile, she learns a ton of fun classic rock songs, instead of yet another Hannah Montana / High School Musical monstrosity

i,m sick of hannah montanna high school musical and the cheetah girls its all my kids listen too bin trying to get them to listen to some Hendrix,and classic rock,i,m fightin a losin battle though lol

13. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

I'm taking the long-term approach. Santa brought her an acoustic guitar this past Christmas. She keeps it in her bedroom and plays with her friends, making up songs. When we watch music on TV - a concert, or some guitar shows up somewhere else - she runs ot get her acoustic and strum along.

Soon, that wil sink in and she'll want some lessons. Probably long after Hannah's done being flavor of the week in the Disney world, but ... at some point I hope it happens!

14. hendrixfan

i too got my kids guitars for xmas,but they arn,t really interested in playing at the moment i,m hoping that will change in time along with their musical taste

15. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Well I am on the mature side, but don't really play these video games, mainly because I am useless at them. Tried the Wii Mario game but got slaughtered by my 9 year old grand daughter, so no more.

The missus does seem to play them a lot when she should be doing the housework:rolleyes:

No she says it keeps her brain active so good luck to her

16. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

Same with me John. I think Guitar Hero is fun as heck, but my niece and nephews kick my butt at it!

17. DrBOK

DrBOK Strat-Talk Member

I have GH: World Tour. It's really fun, probably one of the few games that everybody in the house likes to play.

Crazy train is my favourite song on there :p

18. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

see thatrs the problem, i dont have world tour yet

19. DimesProdigy

DimesProdigy Strat-Talker

Thats why my friends and I play it. I am decent on the guitar for only playing almost a year, but it is fun for me to play a song all the way through on gh solo and everything as if I would on the guitar.

BTW my favorite stock soong on World Tour would have to be Mr Crolwey. Beautiful song

20. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

I actually just purchased the Aerosmith Guitar Hero, and my wife and I are having a blast! I find I can't play for too long without running and grabbing my strat to figure out a lick or riff I've heard. I realize it's a silly video game, and will never replace an actual instrument, but it is a lot of fun!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.