Who invented shredding?

Scott Baxendale

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
I believe Ginger has passed on eh? There is a documentary about the sweet old chap entitled Beware Mr.Baker where at the end off the thing, with his cane he breaks the nose of the chap interviewing him .
Beware of Mr. Baker is hilarious! He punches the filmmaker in the opening sequence of the film. Kofi gets interviewed shirtless in the film too. I played with Kofi for over 2 years. Ginger was crazy, but also funny and cool and just had a DGAF attitude about everything. Before Ginger left Denver and moved to South Africa he did a show with jazz great Ron Miles and it was incredible and Ginger was unbelievable that night. He was so in the groove and his dynamics were insane. He also had horses so he could play polo and after the weekend polo event that would have a jazz jam. Those were also really cool.

Scott Baxendale

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
It’s true it is typical, still doesn’t make it cool and I bet he would cringe at it today. Krist is the same in this Nirvana interview with him. Kurt is totally cool and tells him to chill the f**k out and give him a chance. He realizes Nardwuar knows his stuff. Sonic Youth is just too cool for school.

Kids and coke!

publius

Strat-Talker
Jul 21, 2020
in absentia
First you would have to define shredder, and clearly lay out the parameters that establish greatness. Look at it this way, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai can perform 2 hour concerts of their instrumental catalog of songs without having a lead singer.....solely on the merits of their guitar playing.. Did/could Ed Van Halen ever do that ? EVH wrote very few instrumentals. And could Van Halen have succeeded beyond being a garage band playing at a high school gym without DLR ?

This is excellent work exhibiting the possibilities of human potential. See we all can just "get along" ( not in the hop along Cassidy / Roy Rogers getting along but....... )

So then....
Sub Shredder classifications or let's say genre's..............
Nominations could be made for well...nominees for shred genre's that would need to be established.

I nominate EVH in the Boy Band / Pop category.

Ok now JUMP!

publius

Strat-Talker
Jul 21, 2020
in absentia
Beware of Mr. Baker is hilarious! He punches the filmmaker in the opening sequence of the film. Kofi gets interviewed shirtless in the film too. I played with Kofi for over 2 years. Ginger was crazy, but also funny and cool and just had a DGAF attitude about everything. Before Ginger left Denver and moved to South Africa he did a show with jazz great Ron Miles and it was incredible and Ginger was unbelievable that night. He was so in the groove and his dynamics were insane. He also had horses so he could play polo and after the weekend polo event that would have a jazz jam. Those were also really cool.

Ginger Baker on the loose in Denver! look out Denver.

Those polo matches got him in a bit of hot water with his jam mates there as polo was a pass time of the oppressor classes.
But there was some cool beats laid down there in those clubs .Mr Baker also made a cool comment about Jack Bruce who had claimed to write a cream song that was in ?/? time I forget what ....disparaging Mr. Bruce's musical talents...something like Jack Buck wouldn't recognize.......

There also is a record released..... African Force...has Ginger on the cover pic at his drums and two dogs in the background do the doggy style bit.

GingerBaker_AfricanForce_0885.JPG

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
It’s always about the song first whether it’s instrumental or not.

It sounds like you are giving the credit for EVH’s success as a guitar player to David Lee Roth? Did I get that right? I would have to wholeheartedly disagree on that one.

No...you misunderstood. Roth had nothing to do with Ed's guitar playing prowness. My point was that Roth had very much to do with Van Halen's success, and without Roth's antics as the front man, Van Halen might have gone the route of just another glam/hair band like White Lion with Vito

Scott Baxendale

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
No...you misunderstood. Roth had nothing to do with Ed's guitar playing prowness. My point was that Roth had very much to do with Van Halen's success, and without Roth's antics as the front man, Van Halen might have gone the route of just another glam/hair band like White Lion with Vito
I don’t agree. Van Halen did fine with Sammy and would have done great with any decent rock singer. Just my opinion. Who wrote their songs? It’s always the song first.

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
Allan Holdsworth
Allan Holdsworth was one of those rare musicians who, while definitely being a part of a scene &/or tradition,
transcended all categories by not just being truly, uniquely their own self, but also having an original concept
for writing and playing music.

Thelonious Monk would be another one.

Last edited:

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
I don’t agree. Van Halen did fine with Sammy and would have done great with any decent rock singer. Just my opinion. Who wrote their songs? It’s always the song first.
I believe Roth was responsible for the songwriting.
It was up to him to apply melodies and structure to Ed's random riffs.
With Hagar the riffs stayed the same but the songs went downhill. IMHO

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida

You're putting the cart before the horse. Yes, VH did FINE with Sammy, but they did GREAT with DLR. And without the 12 years with DLR which propelled them to GREATNESS, Sammy might not have had any interest in joining. It's all speculation anyway, .....

Scott Baxendale

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
You're putting the cart before the horse. Yes, VH did FINE with Sammy, but they did GREAT with DLR. And without the 12 years with DLR which propelled them to GREATNESS, Sammy might not have had any interest in joining. It's all speculation anyway, .....
Look at Eric Johnson. He could have had a massive major league rock career had he ever hooked up with a great singer and recorded great songs. My point was not that Sammy came after, but that they would have achieved the same success with a different but equally good singer singing THOSE SONGS. It’s the song first. It’s the Van Halen songs that make them bigger than Joe Satraoni, not DLR’s persona.

GitGeek

Livin' After Midnight
Silver Member
Oct 2, 2020
Denver
EVH, no doubt. Yes there were tons of fast players before, and in several genres, but EVH put it on the map.

So many players heard Eruption and didn't know exactly what they were hearing. They had to know, they had to figure it out.

He certainly wasn't the fastest ever, never did sweep picking, but he opened up everyone's ears and eyes and set the stage for the shredders that followed.