Who is the Worst Successful Singer?

Paperback Rocker

Do it or screw it.
Sep 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Seeing as people continue to post technically good singers that they just don't like...

DLR's live vocals may be shaky in his old age, but they were always perfect for VH recordings. His voice and added inflections were very musical. Sammy Hagar may have had better technical ability, but to me it's screechy and less organic.

I'd make the same argument with Paul Di'Anno's vocals on the first two Iron Maiden albums vs Bruce Dickinson on the rest.

And Bonn Scott vs Brian Johnson.

Sometimes the original singers were the best match.

I defy anyone to sing along with Van Halen recordings and keep up with DLR and all his yipping and yapping and those 'wows' or whatever his trademark sound . It's very difficult.

TrackerDan

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 10, 2012
N. California
What I'm looking for here is your nominations for the worst singer in a successful band. They've had number one singles and albums across the globe, but the vocalist is meh. But for some reason, they stick with him or her and the dodgy vocals have become part of the bands signature sound and maybe even charm.

Update.

A lot of you are confusing singers who's voice you don't like, with singers you just cannot sing or who sing badly. Most of the names put forward here are actually competent singers with good pitch, timing and timbre.

Here's an example of what I mean. I watched Paul McCartney live in this 2001 concert for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee here in London. He was seriously wretched. This is bad singing.

Yoko is incapable of singing. Even I am a better singer than Yoko.

Stevie Nicks

heavy7

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 20, 2020
Texas
Roger Daltrey..seen the Who live and Daltrey is a terrible vocalist...all of his studio work sounds great but in concert it's like scraping nails on a chalkboard!

Tonespinner 2

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
When I was a kid, at first I thought he was singing "running with a dead bolt"
What I'm looking for here is your nominations for the worst singer in a successful band. They've had number one singles and albums across the globe, but the vocalist is meh. But for some reason, they stick with him or her and the dodgy vocals have become part of the bands signature sound and maybe even charm.

Update.

A lot of you are confusing singers who's voice you don't like, with singers you just cannot sing or who sing badly. Most of the names put forward here are actually competent singers with good pitch, timing and timbre.

Here's an example of what I mean. I watched Paul McCartney live in this 2001 concert for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee here in London. He was seriously wretched. This is bad singing.

Yoko is incapable of singing. Even I am a better singer than Yoko.

"I rode across the desert"....Well, you know

bassworx

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 7, 2018
Oregon
David Lee Roth, bar none. I am classically trained, and sang in rock bands for several years. His cocaine/tequila voice gives me the willys.

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
Her name keeps coming up, yet she appeared on *lots* of backing vocal tracks for other folks hits. Again, this isn't a thread for people to just insert random names into.

Here here. These suggestions that "this person with a decades-long career and worldwide acclaim is actually secretly terrible at his/her job" are pretty ridiculous. "I don't fancy Stevie Nicks' voice," doesn't carry the same heft, I guess...

TrackerDan

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 10, 2012
N. California
Her name keeps coming up, yet she appeared on *lots* of backing vocal tracks for other folks hits. Again, this isn't a thread for people to just insert random names into.

Her name keeps coming up? Maybe there's a reason? I don't feel like it's my fault for entering my opinion? I hadn't seen her posted yet, so I did.

Latest posts