who uses alternate tunings here

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by hendrixfan, Feb 12, 2009.

1. 07 road house

07 road house Senior Stratmaster

I have done some Eb and open tuning

2. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

I have tuned a semi-tone or a whole tone flat, played drop D, DADGAD and a little open G. They are all a different kind of fun but I always come back to standard tuning. When I want to play a different tuning nowadays I just pick up my mandolin and pull my hair out trying to figure out what to do. Lots of fun.

3. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Chris Cornell uses all kinds of alternate tunings. Some of them, I think he might have "made up". Never really got any further than playing the song he recorded with a particular tuning though.

4. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

I love messing around with tunings on acoustics. I routinely switch it to D standard. I also go to F standard as:

F-A-C-F-C-F

sometimes (low to high).

5. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

I've tried many but really only use standard or Open G. Open G gives you that old Mississippi Delta blues sound if you use a slide, or as StratoBrew said it's real easy to play chords with just one finger. I think Open G is the easiest tuning to sound good in, it's almost impossible to sound lousy in Open G as everything just works nicely.

6. guitardude24680

guitardude24680 Former Member

Just this week, I tried tuning my tele down a whole step for each string. (So that E becomes D, etc.) Is this called open D or drop D? or something else?

7. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

You're just dropping everything by 2 semi-tones so you're essentially still in standard tuning but in D rather than in A 440. Drop D is when you just take your low E and drop it to D.