Who was it? Your first Strat God

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by bobthecanadian, Mar 27, 2008.

1. johnny rotting

johnny rotting Strat-Talk Member

David gilmour, Stevie ray, dave Murray........one versatile guitar!!

2. Ryan

Ryan Strat-Talk Member

I started on a Jay Turser Strat copy. It was midnight blue. I bought it 'cause I liked the color.

But my first guitar hero would have been Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day. He played a Fernandes Strat for most of their early recordings right up through Insomniac.

Once I got a bit older, and out of my teenage-punk years, I got really into blues/blues rock. Some of my heroes now are closer to the rest of you guys in here: SRV, Hendrix, Page, Jeff Healy, Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa, Clapton, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Robert Cray, BB, Billy Gibbons, Brad Paisley, etc. I know they're not all Strat players, but ironically, most of them are.

My favorite CD at the moment right now is Chris Cornell's latest. Its amazing! There's a LOT of R&B and blue-eyed soul on this one, along with a few of his trademark rockers. But the highlights are definitly the ones that go for that classic, down South sensibility.

3. metalguru72

metalguru72 Strat-Talk Member

My first four guitar heroes in the order I discovered them aged 11 were Blackmore, Knopfler, Clapton, Gilmour. I thought all guitarists played Strats....

4. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

Most influential firsts for me were Buddy Holly, then The Ventures in a REALLY BIG WAY!!, then Jeff Beck (Yardbirds days), and Jimi Hendrix thereafter...

5. nightcaster

nightcaster Strat-Talker

EVH for me,

early on. I just LOVED Van Halen- not really sure why, I didn't really "get it", I just liked it. The guy that changed my life, tho, was EJ.

6. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies--DA-YUM!!!)
    Ritchie Blackmore (still trying to nail the "Lazy" riff, LOL!)

Eric Johnson (local hero since '74)

Eddie Van Halen ("Live Without a Net" made me want to quit)

Yngwie Malmsteen (music, okay; technique, A+)

7. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Strat-Talker

1. Eric Clapton saw him on betamax.
    2. Ritchie Blackmore- saw him on rainbows live between the eyes video on betamax. i loved the cover of deepest purple lp with a white strat .one of the first lps i bought
    3. evh-i saw him on live without a net and started putting humbuckers on my guitar, and disconnecting the tone pots
    4. stevie ray vaughan- saw him first on austin city limits video. my fave is live at el mocambo

LDR

8. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Jerry Garcia

9. jmasin

jmasin Strat-Talker

For me it's a real close call... SRV made me love guitar and is one of the major reasons I play.

Doyle Bramhall II made me want to play guitar. I saw this guy with the Arc Angels at their last (at the time) concert at the Backyard in Austin back in '93. Due to a fortunate mistake, we got there WAY to early, so were 2nd in line to get in, got right against the stage and I marveled at the sounds coming out of that guy for 1.5hrs (and was deaf for 2 days as a result of being right in front of the PA :) ). I can't remember if I bought my first squire a week later or two weeks later, but it wasn't long.

10. Fenderon

Fenderon Strat-Talker

Jimi Hendrix

11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member

I'm not gonna quibble over who is a god and who isn't.

Let me say that, a lot of guys played six string solid body electric guitars, where I really never identified them with the Strat, or an SG, or whatever, until....

Hendrix. Seeing him in concert, the connection between what he was able to do and his choice of instrument really changed my perspective; from that point on, which brand and model guitar you played did matter, not just whether it sounded pleasant, played easy over long stints and didn't break down on you. Before that, anything that sounded real good was real good.

I mean, I would play a guitar part on one brand of guitar, say Gibson, that'd originally been recorded on a Gretsch or Rickenbacker and I could've cared less.
    Until Hendrix. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of guys thought that way.

Bubbanov

12. telemaster03

telemaster03 New Member!

Blackmore for me, then Clapton later. I was aware of Hendrix, but he was little before my time. EVH, of course. Mark Knopfler in "Sultans".

The I got sidetracked to Les Pauls and 'buckers by Randy Rhoads.

SRV started bringing me back around, as well as Lee Roy Parnell. Lately it's John Mayer.

Guitars are like women...all good, some better than others.

13. s-strats-D-rvb

s-strats-D-rvb Strat-Talk Member

Hendrix, SRV,Gilmour, Knopfler, Blackmore...........This list goes on and on.

Probably Stevie was the first Strat player that I connected the player and the guitar if you know what I mean. It was after that I realized how many players I though sounded great were playing Strats.

14. djw

djw Strat-Talk Member

Rory Gallagher
    Tommy Bolin

Seemed like every concert in the 70's that came to San Diego, Rory was the lead in act.

Tommy's Teaser just blew me away, caught him in a small venue in Solana Beach, it was just after Private Eyes was released.
    Still have the pick he used at that show.

15. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 Strat-Talk Member

I started playing guitar about 7 years ago and gave it up when I was 15. I didn't pick my epi LP up again until January of this year after receiving an SRV album for Christmas. I gotta give SRV credit for starting me back up. Second would have to be John Mayer. Currently the players that get me the most are JM, SRV, Clapton, Garcia, and Jimmy Page.

As of now I don't even own a strat (I know I know) but a new CV squier duosonic that I am in love with. A new strat is my next project.
    ~Nick

16. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Strat-Talk Member

Buddy Holly, Bobby Fuller, and Dick Dale. Hendrix, Clapton, and Buddy Guy helped me see just how expressive a strat could/can be.

17. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-O-Master

Ritchie Blackmore

around the time I was first listening to music in earnest, '72 - "Smoke On The Water" was a monster hit. I had seen a bit of Deep Purple on television, thanks to Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, Midnight Special, etc. Clapton, Gilmour, Hendrix, all those came later. Ritchie was the first one on a strat for me, playing lead guitar like that. That, and "School's Out" by Alice Cooper, re-ignited my desire to play guitar, which had lain dormant for about 8 years. Never saw AC on television, so I had no idea what they were using for guitar, hence the imprint on the strat.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  18. stratfloyd

stratfloyd Strat-Talk Member

GGGGGIIILLLLMMMOOOOUURR!
    love pink floyd, listened to them since i was 10, got me hooked on music, guitars, and kickin back =D

of course, then came jimmi and clapton

19. Dixie Duncan

Dixie Duncan Strat-Talk Member

Gilmour, Hendrix, Vaughn, Clapton

20. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

None of the big Strat guys have any influence on me whatsoever. I guess the closest would be early Buddy Guy and Magic Sam. I like what Jimmie Vaughan has done with a Stratocaster too and I also like some of the surf guys who played Strats back in the early 60s.

The main reason I always wanted a Strat was that was the guitar my dad had as teen in the 60s and I always heard about it.
    Here's a link to a hi-res shot of that guitar.http://www.geocities.com/supertwangreverb/pksept65.jpg