Who's Elon Musk trying to emulate?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ukoldgit, Sep 14, 2020.

1. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why Strat-Talk Supporter

he's doing a pretty poor job of imitating a human ...

ukoldgit and circles like this.
  2. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Personally I don't care for the guy, he's the stereotypical image of a pompous, know it all, loud mouthed jerk that for some unbeknown to me reason has become so popular is this country as of late. But what he has accomplished is not short of amazing. I do a lot of consulting work at the Cape and SpaceX has been one of my clients, I can tell you that they have done incredible things. He works his people like slaves and expects total loyalty like any respectable egomaniac would, but these people at killing it and they are building and flying rockets like nobody else's business.

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I believe the evidence shows his idol is Tesla. Tesla gave away electric AC power grid. Westinghouse built it.

expalantion: Tesla invented the use of an AC power grid but gave the rights away so it would get built instead of Edison's crappy DC system.

Sarnodude, ukoldgit and JamesE like this.
  4. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Not denying they do great stuff, but I take the long view when it comes to space craft, lets see how they are doing in 10 years.

ukoldgit and circles like this.
  5. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

that’s a wise perspective.

ukoldgit likes this.
  6. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Supporting Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Connected Vehicles are around the corner.
    Right now, it's not even to the VHS/Beta stage... we have 40 manufacturers all pushing their ideas for "connected vehicles" but there are no established standards, primarily because nobody knows exactly what they are expected to do.
    Current technology can do no better than provide the driver with a countdown so he knows when he's going to get a green light. The problem is, the traffic signal industry is 20 years behind current tech.
    We *JUST* got our system 100% off of copper interconnect (at 1200 baud in some areas) and onto Gigabit fiber... but our signal controllers are 1995 technology, and the software is still based on the old 8-bit software written for CalTrans in the late 1960s.
    Our most advanced controllers (in service) are OS-9 based, but still run an OS-9 port of the old 256k ROM program.
    Current controllers are Linux based, and are powerful enough for connected vehicle.
    Problem - The controllers are $4,000. We have over 200 intersections. LADOT has over 4,000 intersections.
    That's just the controllers. The cabinets are also based on the 1960s designs. We have 32 detector inputs, and 18 channels available for output.
    That is all the hardware will handle, even out of the advanced controllers.
    Cabinets are $10-$20k depending on the manufacturer.

$25K (plus labor) times 4,000 intersections... that's 100m, in an environment where traffic engineering is fighting planning departments, who have the goal of getting people out of cars and into mass transit, so there is a fight not only over budget, but over physical real estate, where planning wants to take traffic lanes and convert them into bike paths and bus-only lanes.

And even if all of that works out, you are always going to have to account for legacy vehicles. That '72 El Camino is always going to be out there.
    You are always going to have pedestrians and jaywalkers, and not all of them will be producing an RF signal.

A properly engineered mesh of smart vehicles would need no traffic signals, and would never need to stop. They would adjust their speed to create adequate gaps at intersections to allow the vehicles to cross alternating approaches.
    It *could* detect and share information about legacy vehicles, as well as pedestrians... but the pedestrian is still going to take 15-45 seconds to cross, and vehicles will have to stop for them.
    The guy in the '72 El Camino will still need a signal, and he's not going to be able to interlace through cross traffic the way a fully autonomous mesh will.

We are probably 5-10 years away from workable autonomous vehicles.
    We are at least 20 years away from eliminating traffic control devices and running it all through internal software.

fos1 and ukoldgit like this.
  7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Everyone needs a hobby.

I frankly just don't on a personal level, understand the people that are just competing to see how much money they can make. It rings hollow to me and is not particularly interesting. The people that I think I can relate to, at least a little, are the ones that sock away cash and then do **** they are interested in, with an emphasis on creative ****. That makes sense to me.

I feel the same way about regular working class folks. Just going to work and coming home is rough on me. I need some kind of outlet to not go nutso. Or more nutso.

Elon seems like a total bucket of turds but he is interested, and interesting.

ukoldgit and JamesE like this.
  8. JamesE

JamesE Strat-O-Master

Totally agree! It's such a shame that Tesla was a boffin not a businessman, he could have achieved so much more. Maybe Musk should give Sir Clive Sinclair a call for some new ideas!

ukoldgit likes this.
  9. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Because the primary duty of any properly focused government is on the security of its people--its natural that the military community would be paying attention to developments in technology.

ukoldgit likes this.
  10. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

steampunk?
    images.jpg

ukoldgit likes this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh, I can't wait for truly autonomous self-driving cars.
    Form an ad-hoc network with other cars to monitor where they are and take driver aggression out of the equation: no more gridlock.
    Allow me to perform some other productive task, such as practice guit, on the way to work or simply let me catch up on my damn sleep finally.
    Allow me to go to a bar or club not within walking distance and not risk a DUI.
    Yes, I'll take some of that...

nadzab, ukoldgit and CB91710 like this.
  12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeh
    Yeh
    Yeh
    Confirmation Bias....

rafasounds, JB74, aiabx and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

99 percent of the people are full of mediocre ideas that none of them materializes..0.5 have good ideas but cant make them to work the way they want and he belongs to the select few 0.5 that has great ideas and a couple of them actually worked.....so unless there is some alien race to compete with....a couple great ideas materialized puts you on the top of the human race just like tesla....the man that as someone journalist said "invented the 20th century".....

ukoldgit likes this.
  14. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

The correct question is: Why Elon Musk? Stop.

rafasounds and ukoldgit like this.
  15. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster

In essence, ELYSIUM, is what they want...

Baelzebub likes this.
  16. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Maybe, or maybe what these cars will do is limit your ability to move around the city, for example in LA lets say you wanted to drive through the area where the stars live.

Only the car won't go there without authorization, and you don't have that.
    Or you want to go to a certain store in a bad part of town, car refuse because it got spray painted on last time it went there.
    Sounds silly, but think... if such a system were in place do you not think they would segment the city, digital segregation of a sort?

Consider you would be monitored and advertised to while in the car, additional if the car drove around a corner into a shoot out there wouldn't be much you could do to get away, the car would sit there blocked.
    As you have little control over the car it could be as simple as someone standing in front of the car while someone else robs you.

For every convenience of this sort you allow into your life, you give up a liberty.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    fos1, CB91710 and ukoldgit like this.
  17. =KARMA=

Simple: Human greed, which is completely out of control. When you consider that six self-serving human beings have more combined wealth than the poorest 50% of the planet, then something is very wrong indeed.

Imagine the good that they could do,......if they wanted to.

rafasounds likes this.
  18. =KARMA=

And that right there is the biggest part of the problem.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  19. =KARMA=

And if you’re not responsible for driving the damn thing, then you can remove the cost of insurance as well.

20. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Self driving AI cars...
    Always liked the notion...
    Most drivers (sober) suck at it anyhow...
    And
    One day
    What if your AI car discerns you are a butt hole...
    And
    steals itself.....
    Or
    Crashes itself..

fos1 and ukoldgit like this.