Who's Playing Telecasters...

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Andrew Wasson, May 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. bf1024

bf1024 Strat-Talk Member

2. bf1024

bf1024 Strat-Talk Member

I have 2 Telecasters...One my son built and gave me as a gift. Tele body, fender tele neck , outstanding pups and sounds and plays great. Here it is next to my Am Performer Stratocaster.

Attached Files:

dbolt, godsmonkey and Andrew Wasson like this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

That's really beautiful. Nicely done.

tubedude likes this.
  4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

'16 60's Baja

20201015_184509.jpg

Daddypantz, Nate D, Stevn and 11 others like this.
  5. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Intune likes this.
  6. godsmonkey

godsmonkey New Member!

The first one for the moment. A humble MIM that I really love

IMG_20210316_204456.jpg

7. marcostrumm

marcostrumm Strat-Talk Member

an old photo of my old friend
    tele0004.JPG

Nate D, dbolt, velvet_man and 3 others like this.
  8. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

My Tele and another Tele type with a Warmoth tele neck. I think of it as a comfortable tele. 20210601_083737.jpg

Stonetone, dbolt, Cali Dude and 3 others like this.
  9. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Is that. A Dynamite box veneer?
    I've A half dozen I've been dragging around 50 years or more..
    Packing boxes, when I move..(often)

GaryM likes this.
  10. Maplelover

Maplelover Strat-Talker

1973 traded a 1963 shoreline gold for a 1966 Telecaster. I've had 6 Telecasters and 8 Stratocasters, I don't fall in love with any of them, they're tools

Intune likes this.
  11. GaryM

GaryM Strat-O-Master

Yes, it is. The stuff is old dry and brittle. I need to figure out how to clean and treat it when done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

The Saga of The Tele-Monster

A friend of mine in N.M. sent me this Telecaster. He had enticed me to begin playing guitar after a 25 years or more of haitous. I was burned out from playing clubs and most of the rockers I ran with were heavily into drugs naturally I fell right into the pack. If the Lord hadn't intervened I probably would not still be on this side of the grass. So actually mine is somewhat a Jesus found me story.

My friend in N.M. called me one day and told me that he had bought an American Tele and it was the best most beautiful blonde Tele he ever saw or heard. He went from store to store comparing his Tele to all the others, and said it sounded better than any other Tele. I said "I'm very happy for you but I think Telecasters aere butt ugly". But he kept attempting to convince me otherwise.
    Donny would call me several times a month boasting about how great his Tele was. And I would reply that I was a Strat player and I still thought Teles were ugly. Tele guys, Don't break out the stakes, crosses, and garlic yet. There's more to the story.

Donny called and said he was sending a present to me. He would not tell me what it was, but he said it would be there Thursday in the afternoon. Sure enough the UPS guy banged on the door with a large package. I signed for it and took it inside. Within the cardboard box was a New Fender hard shell case. I opened it and behold, there was his Tele with a simple note attached under the strings. The note said "I'm not worthy" Later he called and said he wanted someone he thought was good enough to play it to have it. At that moment I decided that Teles weren't that ugly after all.

I played it for a while but soon the mod-monster overwhelmed me and I was under its spell again. I tore down the Tele, routed out a hole for another pickup and bought a 2 hole Tortoiseshell pickguard for it. Then I found the 12K CT Tele bridge pickup a friend had given to me several years ago. I installed the 12K (6k tap) and wired a pot between the 6K tap and the 12K output, using center of the pot as the output so I could pan anywhere between 6 to 12K.

I mounted two Strat Pickups in the Pick Guard and I wired those in series like a huge humbucker. I used Mex Strat pickups because in HB mode they had a much better sound than the American pickups, at least to my ears. When the Tele Sw is in the center, you can get myrads of different sounds using the variable tap control as a blend control. The possibility of adding many more switches to this is a temptation. I just do not wish to fill this guitar with switches. But I guess the pick guard has room though. Naaaaaa

I didn't vary the sounds in this song but it is the Tele-Monster. Bridge Pickup if I remember correctly.
    Tele Spanking  (And it is definatley getting spanked)
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2368628

Attached Files:

13. franblanc

franblanc Strat-Talk Member

Okay so now I know where all the good stuff went. You guys really need to leave some beautiful Telecasters for the rest of us. I'm thinking of Classic Vibe Squier (with a humbucker) but after seeing these pictures I need to think again.

14. mikegotcha

mikegotcha Strat-Talk Member

Attached Files:

Andrew Wasson, dbolt and Cali Dude like this.
  15. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talker

0118151257.jpg'60 Dano.jpg
    Nice work. However, being 23 years your senior, I wonder if our 'rock and roll' is the same. Seems these days you can't appreciate the unadulterated sound of the instrument. Overdrive has become a basic necessity. You see that during the weekend 'headbanger ball' at your local box store. In my day, other than Link Wray and Duane Eddy, most everything else was 'clean', and rock and roll. View attachment 483834 View attachment 483834 View attachment 483834

AngelDeVille and Andrew Wasson like this.
  16. GaryM

GaryM Strat-O-Master

Picked up the bodies from my builder today. Now, the fun begins. Assembling two Telecasters.

[​IMG]

dbolt, Nate D, Slartybartfast and 2 others like this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I think about that from time to time... When I was 14 or 15 and knew enough chords to string a song together in a garage band, I didn't have any pedals. I adjusted the controls and especially the volume to get a decent sound out of the amp. I bought my first pedal, a TS9 when I was 20 years old and between bands. I was hoping I could use it to get the same sounds of my amp playing loud but at bedroom volumes. It did not.

These days I have a lot of pedals but the majority are ones that I've built myself to get a particular tone or sound and generally for a bit of boost and flavour for playing solos. I do play a lot of different stuff usually in the hard-ish rock genre but I also play a lot of stuff clean. I always play clean when I'm trying to work something out and I'll play it clean correctly before figuring out how much overdrive or distortion it needs. Some of the originals my most recent band played involved very clean rhythm guitar with the second guitar playing overdriven melodies with a lot of sustain. Some of the others were more of the two guitars, both overdriven style but we did our best to make sure that it wasn't just a wall of noise and that you could differentiate between the guitars.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  18. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Strat-Talk Member

While my go-to gig guitar is a Stratocaster (either of three: '94 MIM with Kinman pickups, '95 MIM with Burns single coils and Brian May switching, 2012 Am Std stock), I have been rehearsing with a group using my '52 RI Tele set up like a Broadcaster (effectively, hotter pickups). I am beginning to get just about anything out of that Tele I want, sonically.

It may be that, for me, playing bass made me a better musician, but perhaps playing the Tele makes me a better guitar player ;)

19. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

One of the best tele color schemes, right there.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  20. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

That’s cool!

Nate D and GaryM like this.