1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Why are 50's Martins less expensive than 50's Fenders?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by mikej89, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Samm57

Samm57 Strat-Talk Member

Here’s a recent direct quote from George Gruhn: “The “Golden Era” for Gibson and Martin steel-string acoustic instruments begins in the 1920s and extends into the early 1940s. The “Golden Era” for Fender and Gibson solidbody electric instruments is completely different (beginning in 1950 and continuing into the mid-1960s).”

One of the factors for the pre-war Martin sound is that due to warranty claims they had to start building them heavier, which started in the early 40’s. That being said, I have Martins made in 2019 that sound amazing, but not as amazing as a 1936 00-18 that I once owned.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  2. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

My Gruhn quote was from 1978. The 34-38 Models are considered the holy grail years. They started changing the position of the scallops and peaks in 39. Their are tons of guitars made by Martin and others That are great, but nothing compares to the 34-38 OM and D size Martin’s. Gruhn is also a salesman who is always trying to expand his market and client base.

StratoMutt and Samm57 like this.
  3. kmosh

kmosh New Member!

apples and oranges my friend

4. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

It is directly due to Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.

Groovey likes this.
  5. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

You REALLY HAVE TO ASK??

Cost of Manufacture of a Great Elecrtric is TEN TIMES higher than an Acoustic in materials alone! And both are equally mass produced in method, labor and time

IMHO early Martins are grossly over-priced (valued) via hype, just CrApple products that are made on the same China assembly lines as a Dell or HP PC, same parts even. There have easily been many many models of equivalent sounding acoustics, of equivalent technique and material or better than Martins made by Gibson, Guild, Takamine, and others.

If Martin was so great, where was their fine work in Archtops like a Gibson L-5 or L-50? Anyone can "knock out" a flat top acoustic of Spruce and Mahogany, BFD. Where was Martin's answer to the awesome versatile Guild F-45CE of the early 70's? When was Martin ever innovative like Ovation?

I'd put my 1965 Gibson LG-1 up against most any "vintage" Martin of the same period.

The Takimine F-360S, the "Martin D-25 Lawsuit model" most say is BETTER than the original it copied.
    Takamine F-360S Martin D-25 Lawsuit model.jpg
    When did Martin ever design or build anything as sophisticated as an incomparible 50's Gibson Archtop Acoustic L-5 or even the "mid-market" L-50? Never, not capable of it.
    L-50_1953_mine $1600.jpg

No Martin answer to the incredible sounding Jumbo Peizo Electric 1971 Guild F-45CE played either Acoustic or Electric.
    Guild F45CE 1971.jpg
    My sorta rare 1965 Gibson LG-1, easily a match for any Martin of the same era. The sound is unparalleled.
    Gibson LG-1 1965 rare.jpg

IMHO..... as a Luthier of 56 years.