Why are Yngwie Malmsteen Strats so expensive?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by IMMusicRulz, Jun 15, 2021.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Inflation makes everything keep going up in price.

Buying a 1950s strat for $295 back then, would be $2,400 today with inflation.

So really, even with the steady inflationary price increases, you are getting a better value today for your $1,799

...and who knows what your ying strat will be worth in 75 years, lol

IMMusicRulz and CB91710 like this.
  2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

As mentioned multiple times in this thread check out the price of wood at Home Depot or Lowes these days - and the price of other components. I don't think anyone likes it, but everything has gone up from what it was in February 2020.

Malmsteens were always premium models from Fender. If I'm remembering correctly Fender hasn't had a price increase on the Malmsteen, Clapton, Beck and SRV Strat since they hit $1,699 about 4 years ago; given the price of other Fenders those Artist models were overdue for an increase - I guess we should consider ourselves lucky they didn't go up to $1,999 or $2,099.

Stratoskater and IMMusicRulz like this.
  3. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

There around $2500cdn here which is about $2000usd (according to the net today…)

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Cause he likes donuts. I don’t think they are that expensive. The EJ costs more than the YM and so does a Silver Sky.

9EF6B970-7169-4FD6-B655-52812EA17040.jpeg

5. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

And if the demand were not there, it would have been dropped from the lineup like many other signature models.
    The YJM, SRV, and Clapton were the first signature models released.

Driftwood and IMMusicRulz like this.
  6. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Because you can’t pronounce the name!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  7. tptmnc

tptmnc Strat-Talk Member

Yes, thank you jimmie joe for the runaway inflation for everything...going to get much worse., Anyone for 1979 again?

8. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

I blame the fed for lots more than that.

9. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

We all have our bogeymen.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  10. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

I'm, a big fan of "Build your own"! Since I usually end up modding anyway, I buy MIM or Squier and have at it.

In a former life I had a good job and thought I was rich and deserved an expensive MIA strat (some people call that "paying stupid tax") so I bought one but was loath to mod it because it was so expensive.

I do though own a couple MIA Gibson Les Pauls one of which I have heavily modded, but as far as strats and teles go, I'm a "build your own" kida guy from stem to stern. My favorite Tele is a Johnson that I picked up in a pawn shop. Of course it is heavily modded and nothing like when it rolled off of the factory floor, but it does still sport the "Johnson" logo on the headstock.

Teles and Strats are truly a working man's guitar. They're so easy to mod, cheap parts galore, and will melt faces and rock panties off all day/night long. I heartily recommend them! Get one!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  11. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

YJM is the man....more is more....you pay a crap load of money for tin can guitar heroes....time to pay up for the king himself.....:D

IMMusicRulz, CB91710 and vid1900 like this.
  12. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talk Member

Artist reputation is one reason, some bands cost more to see in concert than others, a signature instrument is Fender's upcharge. And certainly whatever his endorsement cut per unit is part of the increased MSRP. The scalloped fretboard is another reason ? Maybe custom overwound pickups ? I like the aged white/buttercream, so much that I have a Telecaster. One of my friends has one. It's spectacular to look at and I would never ask to handle or play his guitar, I'd feel worse than awful if something were to happen to it in my hands. It's one of, if not his favorite guitar. His has the vintage Fender hooked saddles.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  13. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

It’s a shame you can’t just have a re-fret with extra tall frets, of the gauge you like, to save messing about with the fret board. I can’t see that it would feel or play any different with that set up.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  14. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

I recently had a Warmoth neck with Jumbo 6100 frets the same kind as found on the Malmsteen Strat and I can tell you it did not play the same as a genuinely scalloped neck. Nothing gives you a scalloped feel except a scalloped neck.

IMMusicRulz and Jimi Lightning like this.
  15. cmyersdr

cmyersdr New Member!

It comes with a brass nut,custom seymour duncans and massive 6100 frets and a deeply scalloped neck.Nothing to do but play it.
    It may not be for everyone but I love mine and I know a lot of other people do as well.Worth the price of admission!

Ruscio and IMMusicRulz like this.