Why dI’d J.Mayor split with FENDER????

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Rich b in tempe, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:01 PM.

1. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talker

After being so associated with FENDER, I’ll be pressed to know the REAL STORY of why John Mayor split with Fender & was romanced by PRS to endorse a strat copy-PRS?? Certainly it couldn’t have been a money issue???? No, Fender had a JM STRAT on the books. It just seems disloyal to jump FENDER for PRS!!
    What the scoop????

3bolt79, Stratbats and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

#1 it's John Mayer

#2 he left because according to his words 'Fender couldn't bring his vision to life' - which is the PRS Silver Sky ..

#3 why is this posted in the vintage pre-CBS Strat section?

3. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

In between Fender and PRS, Mayer was playing Alembics. Alembic has never paid for endorsements. So my guess would be he plays Fender and PRS for the money, and Alembic for preference.

Bill, tgo

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 6:11 PM
  4. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

"#2 he left because according to his words 'Fender couldn't bring his vision to life' - which is the PRS Silver Sky .."

I heard him say this, too. But when I look at the Silver Sky, the only differences I can see are the headstock and the extra carve on the lower horn. So all I can figure is that he wanted more upper fret access and Fender didn't want to add a carve. But then after the Silver Sky came out and was a hit, Fender went and released the Ultra, which has a carve on the horn. Very odd.

5. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

I'm kinda curious why you would refer to John's departure from Fender as "disloyal", but yet you're asking why he left, indicating you're not aware of the details behind the departure...and if you're not aware of the details behind the departure, why make the assessment of John being "disloyal"?

I personally don't know the details, but I believe @Stratoskater provided some insight behind this in another thread regarding the business relationship ending between Fender and Mayer.

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Cause if you want a great Strat, you . . . don't go to Fender?

It's all about the money!

3bolt79 and Nate D like this.
  7. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

I had heard it was tied to Mike Eldred being let go.

3bolt79 and Nate D like this.
  8. drex123

drex123 Strat-Talk Member

I would argue that a major factor is his involvement in Dead & Co.

For that band, basically filling in for Jerry, he absolutely could not play a Fender (typically single coil instruments). He needed a guitar with many many voices, mostly humbucker based, hence the creation of the PRS Super Eagle.

After he and Paul Reed Smith personally created that guitar they then created the Silver Sky.

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I could be wrong but I thought the split came before he played with dead and co.

3bolt79 and Paperback Rocker like this.
  10. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

We’ll probably never know.

Blackmore Fan, 3bolt79 and nickmsmith like this.
  11. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

I would play for whichever company paid me the most. Fender already did their JM strats, and their fancy relic ones. As far as I'm concerned, we've seen what Fender/JM had to offer. Mayer was a big catch for PRS, and for Fender, he was just another one of the group.I would think that he brought a decent amount of clout and loyalty with him, and that is worth something to any company.

As to what he's playing on stage.. I haven't been impressed with any of his releases since Continuum/JM Trio, and that's going on 15 years now. But I legitimately loved those albums.

3bolt79 and Stratbats like this.
  12. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

The real answer is something we will probably never know because only pieces of the puzzle are available to the public. And anyone who "knows a guy who works with X who said this one thing once" is filtered through at least 3 people all with different interpretations and biases.

But whatever. The Silver Sky is cool. If you think it's just a headstock and a horn carve, you are taking things just at face value.

Also, it's not money. This is not sports. It's not like an F1 driver putting a Monster sticker on their helmet and suddenly Monster is paying them X million per year. That's not typically how music industry endorsement deals work from what I understand. I could very well be wrong, but in general from watching other videos from companies/players who talk about it, it's more of a "We'll give you free stuff" kind of deal.

Mayer is a weird guy. He is very into design, not just in aesthetics, but in the whole package. He genuinely enjoys working with Paul and they had lots of fun doing the Super Eagle thing. Paul, also a very weird guy, is the owner of the company who is also a player and also just as much of a design/tone nerd. You can imagine how the deal works for both of them regardless of the dollars involved.

When John did a few interviews/videos after the release, he in so many words suggested that Fender just did not want to entertain his weird ideas. That's about as much of an answer as he's really given to the public. Fender never really said much of anything. I don't think Fender did anything "wrong" or that John was "going home and taking his ball with him" as much as it was an employee leaving an employer because they no longer wanted to work together.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

I will never buy a guitar because some artist endorses that particular brand or has a signature model....I buy because I like the tone, and feel of an instrument, full stop. Everything else is just white noise to me.

Stratbats and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. Johnny Danger

I feel like there is a definite split in his catalog and it has a lot to do with him reaching peak idiot in 2010. Battle Studies was in 2009, which I think is a great album, but is not as good as Continuum. Then he did the infamous Playboy interview and said some stupid, stupid stuff and got a lot of deserved backlash. So he cooled off and took a break. In 2011, he got into the Grateful Dead and you can really hear it on a lot of Born & Raised and Paradise Valley which I think are fantastic albums, but I can see someone enjoying the trio and Continuum and NOT digging the later stuff at all.

15. Johnny Danger

Big reach here: JM owns some pre-CBS Strats.

But yeah, this should be in Sidewinders.

3bolt79, Guitarmageddon and archetype like this.
  16. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-Talker

Probably for the same reason that an ageing striker 'seeks a new challenge' at an unfashionable but wealthy club.
    His deal was probably up and Fender offered him a 1 year contract with a basic-basic and performance based add-ons.
    Mayer decided his future laid elsewhere. Because there's always a wally who still thinks its 10 years ago waiting in the wings with suitcases of money and honeyed words. :)

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Who knows? Or gives a crap, for that matter?

18. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Or care.

19. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

yeah, this is fairly old news, and if I had the dirty details, would I even care?

And I even consider myself somewhat of a JM fan.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 3:07 PM
  20. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender required that he play their amps.
    PRS didn't, and he didn't want to play Fender amps, so Fender dropped their sponsorship.