Why dI’d J.Mayor split with FENDER????

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Rich b in tempe, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:01 PM.

1. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

2. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

Lol, this. And I consider myself a HUGE JM fan.

3. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Not a JM fan, but IMHO, the ultra is what the American standard should have been back when it re-released under that name.

If the ultra is basically a johnny come lately to the silver sky, I could see why he would depart.
    I could also see why Fender would not want to take the risk with the new tooling, or at least extra cutting and shaping, that I would think would be required to make one signature model that is so divergent from the original contour body without knowing how the public would react.

in the end though, I have known a lot of people that have been wanting the modifications that wound up on the ultra for years. All Fender had to do was ask. There are plenty of places to go to aggregate data from.

I don't envy their position of not knowing who to cater to, The modern players, or the purists; but their hands are far from tied.

Nate D and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

what? Having your head photoshopped???

nickmsmith, Bowmap and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Does anyone really, really care?

6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Mayor....is that the one with cats that's always being a putz?

StummerJoe and Nate D like this.
  7. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talk Member

Never been a JM fan. Weird singing voice. The again, I love Bob Dylan...So go figure!

8. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

My guess is that Paul Reed Smith was willing to give more attention to his ideas than Fender and that's why he switched. Smaller companies can do that and I feel that he also liked the fact that the guy who created the company was designing the guitar directly with him...it's all good. It's a free country and he's free to do what he wants.

Loyalty, lol..please...like Fender wouldn't drop him in a minute if they thought they could make a larger return on their money by investing it into someone else instead.

circles, Stratoskater and nickmsmith like this.
  9. Shaytan

Shaytan Strat-Talker

Seems a similar story as with James Hetfield leaving Gibson for ESP. The player wanting their signature model to have specific tweaks and features to their liking, the company not willing to make them happen. As with everything, if the person you're working with doesn't want to do something, someone else will.

Hetfield did specify some of his particular preferences that Gibson supposedly denied, such as no height relief cuts. Now, is this the *only* reason? Wouldn't Fender make a thinner neck with vintage-style fretboard ratios, was that it?

The explanation regarding promoting their amps does make sense, plus in both cases it's likely related with money, or at least better care for the player. Mr. Paul Reed Smith is said to have traveled to venues just to help out and look into any issues with the Silver Sky - we'd expect no less for the musician whose signature guitar became their best selling model - I don't think Mayer would have that sort of VIP treatment from Fender, maybe a master CS builder would look into that, but the closest to the brand's founder?

It's the difference between a somewhat boutique and new brand (in comparison with the big old names) and the biggest producer of electric guitars in the world with signature artists probably by the hundreds, Fender ain't there to make a one of a kind guitar for this or that player, rather a unique take of their iconic models to a player's preference. That's why you can see a notable difference in treatment and open-mindedness to new bands and artists from relatively newer brands such as PRS, Ibanez, MusicMan and others in comparison to the likes of Fender or Gibson.

Who knows? Definitely not me. The wonders of a free market is that you can make business with whoever you wish and opt for this or that brand for your own partnership as you please. He didn't "betrayed" Fender, he chose the company he preferred for his own personal reasons. Fender definitely didn't even felt the loss of Mayer as a sig artist, Mayer got his own dream guitar into a production model and PRS is selling those like hot cakes, everyone is happy in the end.

CB91710 likes this.
  10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

It's all about Ego.

Stratafied likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

All I can say is the Silver Sky is one of the most wonderful guitars to play that I have ever experienced. So who cares why.......just THANK YOU. :)

12. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-O-Master

13. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-Talker

You can only be Mayor for so long. They’re called “term limits”.
    Happy Friday night strat talk folks!

14. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Not anymore. The silver sky seems to be popular with players so who cares? This thread is a troll-tastic exercise.

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

There were a couple reasons in interviews I’ve read and seen on line from JM.

First Fender wanted him to play their amps only stage and did not like his Dumbles being on stage.

Second John says he hit a point where he wanted to get modern made gear that really could sound as good as vintage and not have the “quirks” many vintage guitars and amps have. He also mentions he wanted to show you can get killer tone at affordable prices which is kind of hilarious because his PRS Signature amp is just over $7K for head and cab! His biggest want were new pickups that have that 40 year old weakened pickup tone like old Strats do. He said Fender could get close but not nail it. This is why unlike EC and EJ John continued to use Black 1 much more than his sig model.

As for linking up with Paul that was a no brainer for him since Paul made his first Signature model the Super Eagle (again an affordable guitar at $10k+ :D) and they dove deep on all aspects of the guitar and especially the pickups. John and Paul have both said they get along and work so well together because they both like to geek out about guitar design elements.

Nate D likes this.
  16. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

This man knows what he’s talking about y’all. I was skeptical of it at first but after playing it it’s insanely good.

Nate D likes this.
  17. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

Artistic differences is usually about getting paid more.

StummerJoe likes this.
  18. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

Disloyal? Huh????? :confused:

I have no one to blame but myself for squandering the past five minutes of my life reading this thread.

StummerJoe and Lone Woof like this.
  19. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Why does any artist or athlete stop endorsing, or split? The real reason for anything is often far from what we're told by publicists.

circles likes this.
  20. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

I understood that Fender were making unacceptable demands such as exclusive use of Fender products.

Stratoskater likes this.