Why dI’d J.Mayor split with FENDER????

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Rich b in tempe, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:01 PM.

1. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Not sure about the split. Have not talked to Mayor in a long time. Actually, never have, now that I think about it.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Somebody offered him more money.

Stratbats likes this.
  3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

It's business. All endorsement deals are. No big deal.

CB91710 and circles like this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

I imagine it went like this:

Fender “what color, radius, frets do you want your Stratocaster to have?”

PRS: “We will build you exactly what you want. Every single thing on the guitar is your choice. We will spend countless hours until we get the absolutely perfect instrument.”

it would be hard to say no to PRS from that alone. Not to mention that PRS is well respected, you can be a big fish in a small pond there, and they may have offered more.

errikwong, Stratoskater and Hydr0 like this.
  5. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

circles and Stratoskater like this.
  6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly, Fender could or more likely would not make him the guitar he wanted. Paul had (Super Eagle) and would build it for him. They went through 2.5 years of work on the SS, something like 23 different headstock designs, dozens of prototype necks to get the carve right and 18 months working on the pickups. Of course Fender could have done that but he was already at odds with them over the play Fender gear only on stage thing.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Mayer stated he planned for a whole series of branded guitars.
    Fender knew what sales were for the existing signature Mayer model, and his huge R&D demands (they went through that before too), and it would never pay off.

Paul may have understood that R&D cost only after going through the three years of trial and error chasing that 1963 guitar ghost.

My expectation is that after PRS finally fills all the dealer's initial inventory requests, sales will dramatically fall off and there will be excess inventory. It will get blamed on a recession but while dealers love signature models, the used market does not -- leaving players stuck with them.

I was really surprised they launched with a fragile rain forest lumber fretboard when Mayer has stated on his website he supports, and many of his fans are ardent, environmental advocates.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    circles and CB91710 like this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Paul already spent 18 months designing and building the Super Eagle with JM so I’m quite sure he knew what he was in for. John has said several times he does not get paid for the Silver Sky sales so all sales dollars go to PRS. Also the guitar has been out for over two years. Dealers have filled initial orders and reordered several times. The guitar is very popular and has now gotten 4 new colors added for 2020 and a maple board model in addition to the original rosewood.

circles likes this.
  9. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

I get that the whole thing seems shrouded in mystery and it's easy to assume some form of insidious stuff happening in the shadows (Heavens forbid that Fender would want to hang out their dirty laundry!). That said, I reckon we as consumers get to benefit!

Without trying to sound like a fanboy, I genuinely believe that PRS has made a really awesome alternative to the classic Stratocaster design. I've played that guitar on a few occasions now, and while I'm not a fan of several of their colours, man they did a fantastic job on choosing Moc Sand and Dodgem Blue.

If that alone can be perceived as a really good reason to move from a larger corporation to a smaller outfit where you get to work with its founder, would you not make that move yourself in the name of innovation and progress?

10. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Geniuses choose “Orion Green”.

Bowmap likes this.
  11. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

According to him, he had a vision and Fender couldn't execute that vision. According to John:

"It's sort of a higher-definition Strat to me. I wanted to go in and take out a lot of those frequencies that you sort of have to work to roll off. They're not there now, they're just gone. So they're tuned a different way"

Apparently Fender couldn't/wouldn't do that. It was likely less about the shape and more about the sound. He didn't stop playing Fender amps. He even says that's the combo, a Silver Sky through a Fender amp.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/joh...r-couldnt-bring-the-vision-that-i-had-to-life

.”As well as demoing the guitar at length, Mayer also claimed he hasn’t set out to distance himself from Fender gear.

“I embrace the Fender thing,” he said. “I’ve seen people kind of disregard the Fender thing where they should regard it. As a customer at heart, I want to see people play Silver Sky through the Fender amp. Because that's what makes the sound. I was watching someone play through like a Victory amp and going, ‘Just play through a Fender!’

“This guitar is made to coexist with Fender amplifiers, with Fender guitars, with Gibson guitars, with any other guitar out there in the world. It's not trying to revise history; it's just a new way forward.”

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 7:19 PM
  12. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

PRS uses Indian Rosewood. It's listed as 'Vulnerable' vs the 'Endangered' rating of Brazilian Rosewood.

Indian rosewood
    Dalbergia latifolia
    D. latifolia
    is native to India and Indonesia, but is also grown in Nigeria, Kenya, Vietnam, the Philippines, and other parts of tropical Africa and Asia

No rainforests for thousands of miles. We're talking an ocean apart. Entirely different continents.