Why did Fender raise the price?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 357mag, Jun 2, 2021.

1. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

It appears that Gibson has raised some Epi prices a bit too. I'm not sure, but the formerly $400 SG's appear to now be $450. I haven't looked at anything else recently so that's the extent of my survey.

Baelzebub likes this.
  2. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

It's Fender's product, so they charge what they can. Just like every other for-profit business. You can try to do the same for your skills and talents.

It's more useful to have more money than brains. I've bought all the guitars that I wanted, including a guitar modded with a YJM neck (and one with the lightweight YJM body and EJ maple neck that I gave away), so I'm not feeling Fender's price increase. But yeah... I feel yer pain. ;)

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

oooo..you had to say Schecter....I just took a close look at one of those online the other day and while not a pointy guitar guy ...this was a beautiful guitar. it fanned the flames...

Stonetone and Ruscio like this.
  4. DrDiederick

DrDiederick Strat-Talker

I agree! If you don't want to pay Fender price tags there are always other options. Strangely, some of these more affordable options are actually produced by ....... Fender. This year I have picked up a Charvel, 2 Jacksons, and an EVH Wolfgang Standard that were way below the Fender prices. Moreover, I almost forgot about the Squier Classic Vibe Strats out there. Without exception, these aforementioned axes were quality builds straight from a Fender factory. It feels like that Fender is competing their own products. This is not a bad thing, it is raising the bar for the American Standard in terms of quality.

As a consumer, we need to question ourselves if the American Standard Strat is worth the money. For me it varies over the year and from one year to the other. Last 12 months I was especially happy with just an EVH Wolfgang Standard, although I did not sell any of my strats either.

BW
    D

Baelzebub likes this.
  5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I haven't checked either, but it wouldn't surprise me. But they have some room to move before they close the gap and aren't still the better value.

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Gibson more or less totally restructured their product line and prices in 2019 under the new management team. While the new team was in place in mid-2018 they went forward with the final "Henry-era" product line that came out in September 2018 (and under Gibson's "annual model year" philosophy those were called the "2019 Model Year" product line).

But they did keep some of those "2019 Model Year" models in their "Modern Collection" - specifically the SG Tribute, LP Tribute, the LP Double-Cut Jr. Tribute, SG Standard, LP Studio, and the LP Classic (and probably a V and Explorer model but unfortunately I don't keep up on them). Of those models carried forward in the "Modern Collection" the Tribute models all went up $100 and they added a 2-pickup LP Double-Cut Special Tribute that was another $100 more than the Double Cut Jr. Tribute. The LP Studio went down a couple of hundred, but they removed the binding from then neck and moved it down to the soft case from the hard case. As mentioned the LP Classic was reduced in price. The current LP Modern model is basically the "2019 Model Year" LP Standard but without the figured maple top and a contoured neck heel (that is not quite as contoured as the one found on the "2019 Model Year" LP High Performance model - which by this point no longer had the GForce/Tronical tuners).

The current "Original Collection" LP Standard is feature-wise closer to the 2019 Model Year LP Traditional.

Lewbypls likes this.
  7. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Get one quick while you can, next year they will be 3 grand the way inflation is going.

Jesse414 and RL21980 like this.
  8. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

The cost of life is up. From Milk to gas to building materials, to..... very damn thing! Why should Fender be any different?!?!

Wayne Adams and Intune like this.
  9. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

At least they didn't raise the price of their flagship model Am Professional II at $1,499 by a lot (was that $50 when they updated from Pro I?). Also, At least the price isn't outrageously high compared to other brands like MusicMan or ESP.
    ESP's sort-of-flagship model is E-II M2, which they recently raised by $600 to $2,200 (yes, six hundred - not long ago this was priced at $1600 street price). And it doesn't even have the main brand's decal on the headstock

Idk, I'd cut Fender a slack. I can't see YJM strats selling like they are flying off the racks, but we gotta pay the artist the royalties.

Also, the title of the thread is misleading.

Stratoskater and DrDiederick like this.
  10. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Printing lots of money: inflation.

11. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

When you have product-specific demand that greatly outstrips your production capacity, you raise prices to capitalize on the demand, fund adding capacity, and moderate the demand if it continues to outstrip your ability to fulfill.

Capacity is a limiting factor for production, and funding is a limiting factor for capacity.

Doesn't help Fender to keep their prices low when they can't make units fast enough to fulfill existing orders; just creates business for your competitors.

Archtops likes this.
  12. StratUp

I was at Home Depot yesterday taking out a mortgage to buy some wood to build shelves with.

I know about the wood prices; they didn't surprise me. What did shock me was $5.50 for a heavy weight "T" made from steel to reinforce some framing. It's a 6" tall "T" shaped piece of moderate gauge steel with a few holes punched in it.

It's been a long time since I bought any of that but I recall prices at half that level a few years ago.

Bob the builder and CB91710 like this.
  13. StratUp

Not really. Inflation is a longer term, less severe change. Short term market based changes aren't really classed as inflation.

guitarface likes this.
  14. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Let us hope you are correct and this is a short term market increase. I surely doubt it.

15. StratUp

I don't know if I said that :) I believe what we're see with guitars is supply/demand. Same with building materials. Those trends should correct. BUT, we know the corporate folks will only drop prices when the must - i.e. when demand falls off OR one supplier decides to compete on price and they have to match it. It may be a while.

I'm also hopeful that when all these Covid guitars get sold off in a year or two that supply goes high and drops prices all around. We'll have to wait and see.

Archtops and guitarface like this.
  16. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Glad I bought my LP back in 94. I don't go through guitars.

Archtops likes this.
  17. Censport

Censport Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Ouch, that's gonna hurt.

18. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Could not agree more, my Yamaha's represent superb value they offer awesome hardware, quality and playability at a price that is not in the stratosphere, and of late playing my ESP LTD EC1000 is absolutely phenomenal at its price point
    Which is why I don't bother with Fender or Gibson
    But to each their own

19. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Yes the EVH are a Fender owned product but its totally different even if built at the same factory but thats where it ends
    My next axe is Going to be a EVH Wolfgang Special
    PS; those like most other guitars have also gone up in price

DrDiederick likes this.
  20. marksound

marksound Strat-O-Master

As the cost of moving things increases, the price of everything will continue to rise.

fos1, Archtops, CB91710 and 1 other person like this.