Why did Fender raise the price?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 357mag, Jun 2, 2021.

1. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Because conterfeits are still way worse. I'd promptly buy generic strats if the price was attractive and provided pretty much the same features of an original Fender strat. Some features I don't find together on a generic strat:

1) nitro finish
    2) alder body, maple neck
    3) satin/matte neck finish
    4) truss rod nut at heel
    5) bluesy-oriented neck shapes (U, V, soft-V, D or similar with a decent shoulder), 7.25 or 9.5 radius.
    6) vintage-sized bridge interchangeable with Fender's

These seem to be features not so hard to provide, but I don't know any ~$1100 strat delivering all of these features. A Fender Vintera Road Worn does.

2. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

You might be surprised. I wouldn't doubt it if the Malmsteen sig isn't the highest selling Fender Strat signature guitar in history, GLOBALLY.

1) It's been out since the year of the first two sigs (1988, only Clapton and YJM)

2) Fender Japan has produced many versions of the YJM Strat for about as long. They have put out easily a half dozen versions of different grades and versions modelled after different Strat years. Huge sellers, obviously.

3) It is a vary unique guitar with the scalloped neck (RB too, of course) and a lot of non-YJM fans buy these up. Of the 5 scalloped guitars I have sold, only two went to Yngwie fans.

diogoguitar likes this.
  3. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-Talker

A lot of pickers have joined Strat Talk in the last few years and realized they have no need to purchase new Strats after discovering that they can fix almost anything they don't like about their old Strats with tooth picks and glue. This has caused sales to plummet in the face of escalating overhead costs. Solution.... raise prices.

StratUp, Archtops, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  4. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for this info!
    I remember back in 2007 or 2009 there was some place online that was trying to stir up paranoia about how much the fed was printing for QE.
    That was nothin'! Wow. So I guess this is how the government was able to send us all those stimulus checks.

So.... this isn't my area... this is the reason why we are having inflation, correct? Experts?

Also, if anyone needs a strat, go here: https://www.warmoth.com/

CB91710 likes this.
  5. JJ119

JJ119 Senior Stratmaster

Bought or priced Lumber lately?

It just keeps going up.

YMMV

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  6. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

circles and JJ119 like this.
  7. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

The COVID made em do it.

JJ119 likes this.
  8. JJ119

JJ119 Senior Stratmaster

Yup

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Some EVH models have gone up but the Wolfgang Specials are still the same price they've been for a couple of years now - $999.99. They did add a model with a quilt top/roasted maple neck that is $100 more ($1,099.99) - I'm pretty certain that the quilt maple is just a veneer over the carved basswood body.

Stonetone likes this.
  10. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

I noticed my 24 pack of 3 ply mega roll toilet paper went down in price by almost 30% lol. Most other things went up though.

stratmatt777 likes this.
  11. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

Charmin or Kirkland at Costco?

diogoguitar likes this.
  12. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talker

$15/hr.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Frickin’ employees needing food and shelter! It’s an outrage.

14. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-Talker

For people in the US: On top of everything else mentioned, don't forget the idiot tariffs placed over the last three years or so - primarily on nations that were our friends and allies. ALL of those tariffs end up being paid by the consumer, not the "bad nations", regardless of nonsense propaganda claiming otherwise. Talk about ****ing where you sleep...

Hydr0, StratUp and guitarface like this.
  15. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

They did it because they can. The fact it cost $600.00 more for a deluxe strat than it did in 2010 and with wood that is not as good as before is as typical as everything else. Pay more,get less.
    I will build partsacasters both tele and strats before I pay. I long for the days when they only had one model of strat,tele or an LP.
    It was called a standard and was the best they had to offer. To get a standard now of any maker now that is the quality of a standard of old you would have to pay three to five times as much for a "custom shop" guitar. Not me.

16. Clickitysplit

Clickitysplit Strat-Talker

I believe also demand for instruments during the pandemic was high. More demand - higher prices.

StratUp and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. Guitar-love76

Guitar-love76 New Member!

18. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talker

Inflation, rising costs for materials.

19. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

Usually I would say it's because the market will support it, this time I'm not so sure. The global supply chain is beyond messed up right now. While the cost has gone up, I would imagine actually being able to get one, new, will eventually be difficult due to materials and transportation issues. Bottom line is, in today's global economy, even if you can source a part or material, it's another story being able to get it. If you can get it, good luck trying to find the labor to manufacturer it. If you can build whatever you're selling, it's going to be a struggle getting it out of your warehouse. Simply put - the stuff we need to make the supply chain is in the wrong parts of the world and it's going to take time to sort out. Unfortunately, just like every single gas crisis ever, once a price goes up, they never come back all the way.

20. El Gwango

El Gwango Strat-Talk Member

Something is only worth what somebody will pay if you think this will let you sound like the man I'd be very surprised

CB91710 likes this.