Why did I not know about this?

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Went to GC today. Never a good idea for my future retirement plans. But this was in the used pedal cage. Its a HO tone xtomp mini. Its a modeler in a pedal. It bluetooths to an app you get for free and the pedal cost me a hundred bux. I been playin with it all night and its pretty impressive. Cab sims, distortion, reverbs, chorus, tremelos, like 150 pedals in this thing.
20221126_222501.jpg

lbpesq

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2014
California
GREAT PEDAL!

I have one on my board that changes depending on who I’m playing with. It’s currently an old MXR Phase 90. Extremely easy and fast to load, and the patches sound damn good! I just picked up a second one. It’s a great way to test drive a bunch of different effects without spending a fortune.

Bill, tgo

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
First I’ve heard of it. I’ve been thinking about getting a small pedal board to go in front of my Marshall half stack since I seem to be playing that more than my multi effects pedal hooked up to monitors.

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
@revtime Got a question for you. Does the xtomp emulate a single pedal or can it do multiple pedals at the same time via the software?

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
I'm waiting for plastic guitars with built in smartphone docks.
Amps and pedals are so 2020...
It is pretty incredible what technology can do these days. Folks love the traditional stuff though. Hotone discontinued the xtomp. Nobody wanted it. And it seems no one even knew it existed. They are still supporting the app which is cool.
It would be interesting to see a major brand (fender, ibanez, etc) go all in with a quality guitar with quality software/interface built in. The xtomp, katana, helix, etc prove modeling is more than viable.

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Went to GC today. Never a good idea for my future retirement plans. But this was in the used pedal cage. Its a HO tone xtomp mini. Its a modeler in a pedal. It bluetooths to an app you get for free and the pedal cost me a hundred bux. I been playin with it all night and its pretty impressive. Cab sims, distortion, reverbs, chorus, tremelos, like 150 pedals in this thing.
View attachment 608680
Good on you. Unfortunately I don't own an app phone so I can't enjoy this new pleasure. Fortunately, I was able to plug into my two amps in stereo today while my wife was out shopping. It was fun and loud.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
It is pretty incredible what technology can do these days. Folks love the traditional stuff though. Hotone discontinued the xtomp. Nobody wanted it. And it seems no one even knew it existed. They are still supporting the app which is cool.
It would be interesting to see a major brand (fender, ibanez, etc) go all in with a quality guitar with quality software/interface built in. The xtomp, katana, helix, etc prove modeling is more than viable.
Well the Line 6 Variax guitar moved in that direction, maybe too much even just guitar, in a guitar.

Given that modeling amps and digital FX can all run on the same piece of computer hardware, and most of the computerized boxes we buy have a tiny space taken by computer and much larger space taken by the interface, it makes sense to use apps or software based gear between guitar and FOH, or similarly run guitar into DAW.
Smartphones can easily have the computing power and storage, but we the people who buy and use the gear seem to still love last Century interfaces.

The Ho tone/ Hot one/ Hoe tone pedal there makes me as nervous as chatting with a robot that has empty eye sockets!
What ARE thos knobs doing!??

Nick L Plate

Strat-O-Master
Sep 15, 2020
Santa Barbara
My own take is likely that of an outlier because I think the exploration of all that gear can do moves supposed musicians away from the greater creative fundamentals of music itself into a kind of super happy funtime fritterware playland. This pedal, like the use of more massively featured modelers, makes sense to me for a performer who is delivering music to listeners and who needs an efficient way of dialing up the sounds called for in a piece. As something to fiddle with in a personal tone quest, I think it's actually a bad thing. I don't think I'm wrong to say that across all human history and all human cultures, music begins with time intervals (rhythm), then pitch intervals (melody, then harmony), etc., with tone being far from the most basic element. The same song can be played on different instruments. Whether a phaser sounds more like a vintage MXR 45 than a current production 90 is trivial. I think we all need to be careful how we spend our musical energy. I don't see the gear industry and all the gear podcast pimps as being very helpful in fostering music. BTW, Debbie Downer is my sister. Waa waa

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Br
Well the Line 6 Variax guitar moved in that direction, maybe too much even just guitar, in a guitar.

Given that modeling amps and digital FX can all run on the same piece of computer hardware, and most of the computerized boxes we buy have a tiny space taken by computer and much larger space taken by the interface, it makes sense to use apps or software based gear between guitar and FOH, or similarly run guitar into DAW.
Smartphones can easily have the computing power and storage, but we the people who buy and use the gear seem to still love last Century interfaces.

The Ho tone/ Hot one/ Hoe tone pedal there makes me as nervous as chatting with a robot that has empty eye sockets!
What ARE thos knobs doing!??
A smart, thoughtful, and fair post.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Well I play as a hobby. I dont gig and never will. I make up my own little songs n stuff for me. Playing with all the toys is fun for me. They inspire me to play. Im never gonna be more than a pentatonic wanker and am perfectly fine with that. If you aspire to be more, then all the choices may not be right for you. Ima never be that guy. Bring on the toys. :p

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Well I play as a hobby. I dont gig and never will. I make up my own little songs n stuff for me. Playing with all the toys is fun for me. They inspire me to play. Im never gonna be more than a pentatonic wanker and am perfectly fine with that. If you aspire to be more, then all the choices may not be right for you. Ima never be that guy. Bring on the toys. :p

Exactly.