Why didn’t the LSR roller nut stick around?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, May 3, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talk Member

Some of the Deluxe Strat’s had that metal roller nut. It seems like that would’ve solved all the nut problems. Why don’t all guitars have them now?

2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I never liked the way they look. Never had 1.

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I had one. I was convinced the metal roller affected my tone. I was wrong.

Id happily play strats with roller nuts.

Danny D, bldwndp, misterwogan and 7 others like this.
  4. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

I would venture to say that it just never caught on, in addition to production costs, sourcing, installation processes and practicality vs. the novelty/gimmicks factor, especially when a wood/bone/metal or plastic nut that’s cut right is just as effective.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    fos1, Dibbs, Mannie and 3 others like this.
  5. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I think roller nuts are awesome

5 Wilkinsons
    4 LSRs

Resized_20210503_101206 (1).jpeg

SunburstHSH, Danny D, Mannie and 25 others like this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Because guitarists are a stubborn bunch. They don't like change, even if it's a beneficial change.

fos1, Dibbs, SunburstHSH and 37 others like this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nailed it right there.

Danny D, Mannie, Mr_10awg and 16 others like this.
  8. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-O-Master

I've got three strats, one of which has an LSR nut, and that one stays in tune the best out of any after using the wiggle stick a lot. Sure, normal nuts can be cut properly and lubed etc, but the LSR nut just works. I actually think it looks nice too!

Danny D, Mannie, bldwndp and 5 others like this.
  9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    If you're a heavy whammier then it certainly makes sense, but for the rest of us I suppose it's mostly a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sort of thing.

I never felt compelled to get one myself...

`

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    dbb541, circles, drp146 and 3 others like this.
  10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

On a new build, especially with the advent of CNC machines, the installation isn't all that much different from that of a traditional nut. Other than the two screws. I did my first install of one last year and was convinced that it really is worth the price of admission. I have done two now and the irony of it is that they both were both on Telecasters.
    20200906_204346.jpg 20210314_213152.jpg

11. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

There is love for the roller nut here.

Mannie, mediumjohn, s5tuart and 5 others like this.
  12. Stratman84

Stratman84 Strat-Talker

My next build will have one...

13. Jimbo_Jones

Jimbo_Jones Strat-Talker

I also really like roller nuts. Not because of a heavy hand on the vibrato, (I eschew their use) but for tuning stability nevertheless. I sometimes reach above the nut to stretch strings for effect, and the roller nuts help with returning to pitch. There are some things I like better about the Wilkinson nut, (no matter how hard or at what weird angle you pick or strum, you can't make the string jump out of its nut slot) but the LSR is my favorite.

bignanoman, T Bone Slort and albala like this.
  14. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agree with everyone's comments - just never caught on with the general playing population, particularly those who don't use the tremolo a lot.

For what it's worth Fender used the roller nuts on the Strat Plus, Strat Plus Deluxe, Strat Ultra, and Jeff Beck Strat starting with the first Strat Plus in 1987; they change all models to the LSR nut from the Wilkinson nut at some point in 1993. When the American Deluxes replaced the Plus series in 1998 only the American Deluxe HSS models had the roller nut and American Deluxe SSS models had a regular nut, and when the American Elite models came out in 2016 the roller nut was eliminated from the HSS model. Now only the Jeff Beck has a roller nut from the factory - exceptions for any FSR models that have come out along the way.

15. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

i have one lsr nut strat a USA Deluxe circa 2005. The guitar doesn't stay in tune when using the trem as good as all my other strats which use tusq. I tried everything even replacing the lsr nut for a new one. They dont return to pitch

Mikecost1031 and Slyy like this.
  16. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I have a Strat Plus with a Wilkinson. Love it. This guitar never goes out of tune.
    I heard the LSR's have ball bearings that fall out sometimes. I don;t know if that's true, but maybe that's a drawback. For the older Wilkinson, one problem is it's not a direct swap for a regular nut. You have to notch into the fretboard, which is a permanent alteration. There's no going back. So I bet that scares off a lot of people, or did.

IMG_5236.JPG

siegeld, drp146, s5tuart and 3 others like this.
  17. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

I had on Strat, I think it was a "Strat Plus?" with lace sensor pickups and a LSR roller nut, during the mid to late 80's. Bought it from a guy who was raising cash to move out of state and take a job teaching music and heading up the music department of a large church HQ, and let it go at a steal of a price.

O.K. First I became very unimpressed to absolutely hating that guitar, and traded after a couple of months. I want to interpret your post.
    "They", vs. who? A superior elite group that has the "correct" view of what should be liked and disliked, while the rest of us were strictly being "obtuse" as to that nut's superior features, even if the change is "beneficial". And who benefited from it? I saw no benefit to it at all, and never will. It is what it is, it's not beneficial to many folks. If you like it fine, and don't fine. Us in the "they" crowd could take it or leave it. Never since, have I missed it's "beneficial" properties.:D

pmoore likes this.
  18. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Wow! Never, goes out of tune. That's cool., tune it once and never touch it again. What a concept, maybe I do need one after all.:rolleyes:

Slartybartfast and AxemanVR like this.
  19. CRobbins

CRobbins Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

http://xhefriguitars.com/page2.html#C11

[​IMG]

Mid 1993, Fender stopped using the Wilkinson nut and replaced them with the LSR Roller nuts (above). These made string changes much easier, as each string rode on top of a set of roller bearings—a great improvement over the Wilkinson nut. The idea with the roller nut was to improve tuning while using the tremolo as the strings could freely move. Some people, bless their hearts, just could not imaging having a Strat without string trees! So they put them on, not realizing this counteracted the whole concept of having the roller nut. A Strat Plus will NOT have string trees, and putting them on the guitar greatly lowers its value!

20. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

I like mine. It works as advertised.