Why didn’t the LSR roller nut stick around?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, May 3, 2021.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

So, why, may I ask, have you only one Strat out of three fitted with one?

AxemanVR likes this.
  2. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Its a fine example of a thing that works beautifully but doesnt really look that great or to put it more precise....it doesnt look "traditional" at all...so it is usually dismissed as an option.

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-O-Master

It's only on the strat that came with it originally. To put it on the others would require faffing about with the nut slot, and I really can't be bothered doing that! The LSR-equipped strat has two humbuckers and I use that for metal stuff that requires wiggle stick use. I use the other strats for other types of music.

4. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

I'd be interested in an LSR nut...
    it might be tricky if the radius is not 9.5", but I'm sure they have different versions

5. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Strat-Talker

Ummm...because they're ugly...LSR and Wilkinson.

jtoomuch likes this.
  6. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Yup pretty amazing. The tuners have rusted in place, I haven’t touched them since 1993.

SalvorHardin, Doc538, s5tuart and 4 others like this.
  7. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

A roller nut seems like a good idea to me. The question is, is it enough of an improvement to be worth it?

An LSR nut certainly costs more to manufacture than one made of ABS plastic. IDK if we can really tell how much they cost based on the retail price (which often includes shipping). Fender branded LSR nuts retail for $28.50; unbranded ABS nuts retail for $4.55 for a 5-pack. And installation of an LSR nut is more complex--the neck has to have two screw holes bored and somebody has to drive in those two little screws. That could add 1/4 hr of labor cost to a guitar. So the cost to Fender to install LSR nuts could be as much as $35 per guitar. It's less than that, of course--Fender won't be paying retail for its own parts. Still, an extra $20 per guitar seems plausible.

If the LSR nut was a $20 option, would people choose it? Some would, for sure. But many would not.

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

They are only made wit a 9.5 radius. Though is has been said that you can go up to 12 inch radius neck wothout any noticible playing issues. The one I have on my Telespringer isnon a wormoth 10-16 compound neck and works beautifully. I have a coue.other guitars I would love to put them on but they have flatter fretboards.

9. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I've had an LSR on two Strat partscasters. I sold one of the necks, partly because of the LSR. I would let go of the other, too, except that it's got a rare black-painted headstock to match the rest of the guitar. It's OK and indeed there are never any tuning issues at the nut, but at least on both of the examples I've had, the LSR, largely because of the lesser break angle, greatly increased sympathetic ring behind the nut. I had to use foam or something (anything but a scrunchy!) to mute the strings beyond the nut to avoid hearing irritating high-pitches ringing out, especially when using any level of gain. For an obvious example, think of that comping on 'Pride and Joy' with a dissonant high pitched ring after every scratch. I couldn't stand it.

drp146 likes this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The Wilkinson was the best. I have two old Strat Plus guitars with them and they NEVER have tuning problems. I never got on with the LSR roller nut.

FireFunkRevival likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks, just curious. I, too, am of the ‘if it ain’t broke leave it original’ school.

jtoomuch likes this.
  12. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I have an LSR on my Contemporary Strat and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a 9.5" radius.

13. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Contemporary models typically have 12 inch radii. The LSR will work on it but it will not match the fretboard. I am putting one on a 12" radius this week too. I wouldn't go any flatter than 12 inch on the fretboard, though, as it will start getting into intonation and playability issues.

albala likes this.
  14. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Strat-Talker

My 2005 American Deluxe came with, like it, no issues. Like not worrying about nut slots width when I change string size.

Believer7713 likes this.
  15. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Must be why i prefer Strat plus :)

And speaking of nuts, what about compensated nuts whats the deal with those ?

FireFunkRevival likes this.
  16. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-Talker

I like mine. One thing to consider is that you can't put 11s through it. 10s are the max.

17. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

I have two Plus Deluxe Strats, both with the early Wilkinson. They do their job, 30 years on (give or take).

While I wouldn't take a chisel to a guitar without one, I wouldn't take wood filler to those with, either.

I like them, they hold a place dear to me ~ at a quick glance, I can pretty much nail your guitar's age/model down to a couple of years. Man, I miss those early 90's......good times.

Mannie, PCollen and albala like this.
  18. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

I really like the LSR roller nut on my ‘95 Strat Plus.
    and
    from 1996 to present, no ball bearings have fallen out.

Mannie and drp146 like this.
  19. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Resized_20210503_190450.jpeg Resized_20210503_190505.jpeg

drp146 likes this.
  20. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talk Member

I had a friend with a strat plus who had the LSR. It gave him no end of problems. Spurious buzzing, tuning issues, etc. i watched him fight that nut at every rehearsal. I would NEVER own one.