Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

why do people hates marshall MG series?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by cappei, Mar 14, 2018.

1. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I have found you to be quite honest and trustworthy about your pro experiences. I'll use your comment as a "base line".

Thank you for getting my point.

I have not played a Katana.

I have gigged for several years with the following "declasse" amps:

80's SS Yamaha G100-III head w/ JBL speakers

Fender Mustang I V.2

Fender Super Champ XD w/my 70's JBL speaker

Peavey VyPyr VIP-II - a 200 dollar amazing modeling amp. works well for bass too, unless you need a SVT.

I make my own setting on all amps and pedals that have factory settings. Sometimes the presets are almost OK - most often I have to strip off the bedroom FX and start from scratch. But that's what works! make them your own.

The Fender and Peavey models are really good- versatile and reasonable pirces. Period. But they do not work off the rack - you need to make them your own.

I bet your teacher, the prof, could make anything sound good.

OK, I admit I'm a big Fender amp fanboi.

BIG Fender amp fanboi.

My favorite amp sound was my Showman rig.

I also cannot use a Showman at the volume I need to play at these days.

BUT

Marshall was based on Fender amp designs. Of course it came out as a different sound because of UK components, cranking amps, etc. etc.

So Marshalls became the sound of OD rock amps.

It's not that Marshalls cannot do cleans well.

It's just that most Marshall players have not featured that tone - instead we have the iconic overdriven "Marshall sound" since Jimi and Clapton in the 60's, and Pagey and everyone else since. ( and Jimi did turn down and get clean tones...another thread)

Yeah, I have never owned a Marshall amp. But I bet I could tame it and maybe even get a decent jazz tone.

Heck, Keef says give him 15 minutes with any amp and he can get a sound he likes. I can come close.

thank you for getting THAT point.

I frankly no longer care what an amp is made from. The real question is -

Can I make it work for me?

Cool!

And we must be honest - so many SS amps were not designed to sound good, but be very cheap.

It's only when you have played a high-quality SS amp that you sort of get it.

I would challenge anyone to try my 80's vintage Yamaha G100-III head with a speaker of your choice and see how close a really well designed (as in Paul Rivera for Yamaha) amp can come to sounding like a tube Fender amp. Warm, too!

I read an article were a band was on tour...the bandstand was so hot the tube Marshall amps were fritzing....and the SS Marshall amps as a standby worked fine.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    circles, T Guitar Floyd and Ebidis like this.

2. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    And thank you too!:D

3. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have no opinion on these amp But this thread got me checking out some demos on them. There were a few demos i caught that sounded pretty good. I wouldn't mind trying one out. I did stumble upon this one and it was pretty interesting. If you skip to 2:30 he compares it to his JMP after the mods. Not bad for basically a $99 SS Head. Sure its youtube audio but whatever.

4. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Well, there ARE better Marshall amps but they do sound like a Marshall.

It is unfair I have to admit and they(Malmsteen/Norum) can make anything sound great.
    I still say they are not the worst amps made by Marshall and I am not the biggest transistor fan.
    Anyway, there are better options out there, I have to admit.

All the best,
    Robin

5. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Or get 50 of these little 1 watt Marshalls...

Can't believe how good they sounded!!

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I was less impressed with the 50 little amps. To me is was just like one of them overdriven way too much, but times 50. :)

Sarnodude likes this.

7. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Thanks for the compliment but I am far from a pro, an intermediate amateur maybe on my best day. I don’t have the discipline to be a pro. I hate practicing. I do like playing live but I mostly do so in bar jams and open mic’s. It takes way more discipline and patience than I have to be a pro musician. That said I do play live once or twice a week. I don’t get paid for it other than the odd free beer :)

circles and davidKOS like this.

8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    This is the reason that I don't usually comment on anybody's choice of amp, or guitar for that matter.
    There are a lot of amps that I like, and some that I don't.
    Since I primarily like a clean tone, that's going to be what I judge an amp on.
    Don

davidKOS, ocean and Triple Jim like this.

9. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Sounds like 50 mosquitos in a pay toilet.

circles and Triple Jim like this.

10. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

Sep 27, 2015
    California
    I had an MG 15.
    In my opinion, the "clean" sounded sterile and boring, and the distortion setting was kind of limiting...so for me, it was a one trick pony.
    I ended up giving it away to a beginner... and replaced it with a Mustang 1.
    YMMV.

ocean and davidKOS like this.

11. HankPym

HankPym Strat-Talker

Sep 11, 2017
    USA
    Probably has been mentioned dozens of time, but it is because they are a cheap, entry level solid state amp. That being said, they do not sound that that bad. My first "gigging" rig when I first started playing was an MG100 head and cab. I thought I sounded great through it! But I did have very untrained ears.

They are great amps for what they are, I still have a MG10 in my office at work that I use with headphones (or when the building is empty at night). For a cheap, solid state amp, it does the Marshall thing really well. I just think they have a stigma for being cheap and usually used by beginners.

With the solid state amps like the MG series, the distortion channel is pretty much just a pedal built into the amp. It isn't "real" distortion like you would get from pushing a tube amp. However, I think the MG's will give you a Marshall-ish distortion just as well as any pedal you'll run through it.

Happy new amp day!

12. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Yes, it is a pedal with a power amp attached like the MOSFET 100 as well.
    That is the way pretty much every (analog) SS amp is built these days(and back in time).
    Marshall based all those amps on the Marshall Guv´nor (and later Jackhammer) pedal.

All the best,
    Robin

13. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-Talker

Jul 27, 2012
    Serbia
    I've bought couple of them over the years. I was really happy for being a small home practice amp. At one point I had 2 of em (MG 15 CF and MG 30 CFX) and I couldn't tell the difference between. Ok, it's not the same by all means, but the crunch channel was superb on the 15w. 20151104_155331(1).jpg

I had various BOSS/Roland amps and they sounded all the same in a bad way. But, these newer MG series were beating them in all ways.
    Even the clean with the chorus was better on the Marshall than on the Boss cube 80x, and they praise it has that authentic JC120 chorus in it... rubbish i must say. Just clean marketing, nothing more...

The only bad thing I have to ad to the MG series is that the speakers are not so good, and if you play it live it will fade away in the band situation.
    So you need the bigger version, with more speakers!

Robins likes this.

14. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    Opinions on Fender Champion 100?

davidKOS likes this.

15. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    I have not played through one yet. Sorry.

16. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    It's not a great amp. The one I had was decent at a low volume, but I already had a solid-state amp that sounded better, even at low volume. The on-board effects were alright, but the one I had lacked the versatility of a footswitch (Don't know if a footswitch has been added in later models), so every time I wanted to change the sound, I had to fiddle with all of the knobs. The absolute best sound I'd ever gotten out of my little MG amp was through headphones, but I felt like that completely disconnected me from the environment I was playing in...and I think that's the crux of my beef: Playing the MG amp that I used to own felt very artificial.

I sold mine for $10 or $15 to a guy who was just looking for a small headphone amp, and he seemed happy to have it.

circles and ocean like this.

17. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Not my intention to say ss amps are all bad. That would be a ridiculous thing to assume.
    I love my tube amps. In a live band setting they are pretty hard to beat (for me).
    However, I have played thru many ss amps that I think are great. And I wouldn't hesitate to use one if it fits the bill , so to speak.
    I'd even go as far to say that in many situations, ss amps would be a "better" choice. For instance , low volume home use, and recording at reasonable volumes .
    To me, tube amps lose their advantage over ss amps at lower volumes.
    Same thing with ultra hi gain. Some ss amps do that better .

Where tube amps gain the advantage, would be in louder band situations .
    They give up their goods at a higher volume. More grunt and perceived power.
    Also, they seem to be much better with the "edge of breakup" sound, that many ss amps fall short on.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a ss amp if it sounded good to me.

Stratoskater and davidKOS like this.

18. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile

how does wattage works in tube amps? cus an 15 amp tube costs the same $$$ than an 100 watts SS amp, so I don't understand, do they sound louder. I've never played throug a tube amp

19. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talker

Oct 1, 2017
    India
    As far as 15 Cd is concerned cleans are acceptable but distortion is pathetic. I.play mine from a pedal board on MG 15 clean channel.

Bob the builder likes this.