Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

why do people hates marshall MG series?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by cappei, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Captain Crapocaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In t'grim North
    Wattage is wattage. More watts doesn't always mean louder, louder doesn't mean better either, other factors come into play.

2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I'll try and give you an answer best I can.
    A watt is a watt. No matter if it's a tube watt or a solid state watt.
    However. ......

Tube amps are generally thought to be louder amps in a watt for watt comparison .

A 15 watt tube amp would likely sound much louder and fuller than a 15w as.

Why? Two reasons.

When a ss amp reaches its full 15w output, that's it. That's all she's got.
    Anything over that, and you will start to hear distortion. And it's not a musical or pleasant distortion.

A tube amp of 15w reaches that same point, but truth is, it probably has more left to give. People have measured watts from say.... 100w marshall, and they regularly put out more than 100w.
    So there's generally more watts coming out ,than what's on the label so to speak.

This also ties into reason two, for the disparity in loudness .

When a tube amp runs out of clean power it distorts. The distortion however is musically useful and considered pleasant to listen to.
    It's the sound we all know and love from so many recordings.
    So while it I'd distorting, it's throwing off a ton of even order (and some odd order) harmonics.
    Notes get fuller, and more complex, adding to the perception that it's louder.

On a test bench with the equipment to measure watts, a watt from a ss amp is the same as a tube amp.
    Ohms law (Google it, it's good to know), doesn't care what's making the watt.
    A watt is a watt.
    Best I can do. Hope that helps you.

Yaralag and circles like this.

3. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Oddly, I have used an MG100 with a mesa Dual rec. with the MG ising a smalll 2x12 and a home built cab with vintage 30s on the mesa. the combine sound was VERY metal.

4. rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    One more thing to add.
    How companies measure their output from amps can be a bit deceiving .

I remember as a kid, they would advertise car stereos as being 1000w.

Now, technically that may have been true. For a 1kilohertz sine wave for a micro second. That stereo could produce a 1000watts.
    Was it really a 1000w car stereo?
    No. Not in any useable way.

Strats4me likes this.

5. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    My brother has a Marshall MG 40w, one of the earlier gold plate. I think it depends on what guitars you have plugged into any amp. My Goldtop sounded like crap and I used a Boss metal pedal to shape the tone and it still sounded very bland. It sounded like a different amp when I plugged in my Schecter, I didn't even need the pedal.

6. ToneFidelity

ToneFidelity Strat-Talker

Apr 17, 2017
    Quebec, Canada
    I think ''hate'' is a strong word. People don't hate the MG series, they just doesn't have respect for it. Pretty much the same regarding Orange Crush series or VOX Pathfinder. You pretty much pay for the brand and look of it.

If you are renowned for your classic and powerful tubes circuits, good chances your transistors circuits will be seen as inferior.

7. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile

So if I need a "big" giggin' amp? by Big I mean I could play live in bars, or small courts, let's say 100 watts in SS.

How much of a tube amp would I need? watts wise I mean

because a Fender Super Champ X2 of 15 watts is worth the same than a Laney LV300 or , Fender Champion 100, or a Laney Twin LX120R or a Peavy Raptor 80W

Or what about to just buy a Orange Micro Terror and add then some cabinet

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    circles likes this.

8. ToneFidelity

ToneFidelity Strat-Talker

Apr 17, 2017
    Quebec, Canada
    Wattage is headroom. Normally, the more, the cleaner the amp stays at loud volume. Also, wattage isn't all. 100W amp paired with, let's say, 2X12'' speakers will punch less than 30W or 50W through 4X12''. People tend to confuse Wattage and Db.

Stratoskater, circles and cappei like this.

9. rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    A 40w -50w tube amp would be plenty for most people I think.

cappei likes this.

10. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Strat-O-Master

Dec 29, 2013
    ohio
    For what it’s worth, I really like my Code 100. Does all I ever really need or want. You can dial in all kinds of tones, and it sounds great. I’ve had zero issues with it.

cappei likes this.

11. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    I would try one. I owned a code and liked it but digital menus and amps that recommend an app to edit are not to my liking. I never see the MG's in my area. I would think the MG 30 watt and up would be pretty good. I'm not fussy :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    cappei likes this.

12. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Good thing, because we would all have tinnitis

13. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    I have one of the mg series combos. 12 inch maybe 20 or 30 watts. Built in reverbs choruses echos etc.

Sound is ok but seems one dimensional. I tried to use it as a practice amp. It grates on me.

I have a champ that I use with pedals. Jusr sounds and feels better.

Final verdict from me is I just don't use it. I have a choice and made it. No hate there.

14. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Hola cappei! Perdona mi pobre español. La gente suele criticar las cosas porque intentan sonar importantes o sabias. Ellos son casi siempre ninguno de los dos. La serie Marshall MG es un amplificador muy bueno para aficionados y principiantes y muchos jugadores profesionales tienen uno en su garaje o dormitorio para practicar.

cappei likes this.

15. Biddlin

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    My garage amp is a 15w Crate with reverb. It's been with me for a very long time, so I must like it.
    My gigging amp lately has been a USA made Crate Palomino V32, but I also use my son-in-laws Fender 25 watt solid state with spring reverb in some saloons.

cappei likes this.

16. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Remember the Crate Blue Voodoo? I am not sure which one I hated more. the MG or the Voodoo. (Reminder: in the post above where I mention that the MG sounded good mixed with the mesa? It takes another $1500 amp to make the MG contribute to a great sound. It's crap by itself.)

17. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    Gracias compadre por su comentario! , y tu español no es tan malo como crees.

18. Biddlin

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    De nada. Siempre trato de mejorar mi español. ¡Tengo sed de aprendizaje, incluso a los 65 años de edad!

19. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    I bought the MG50cfx on ebay for $200 and I think it sounds like the dsl40 I had with just as many options and then some. I know a lot of respectable players do not like them or think they're great or fine for what they are. The stuff I see a mainly is extreme exaggeration from young kids I would assume or poser cork sniffers that see it written somewhere and repeat it with comments like dog crap or difference between the 15 and head is choice of cat or dog crap. Immature comments or they think it's factual that all analog, solid state, modelers stink.

I think the crunch channel and clean are totally Marshall sounding and when I hit the OD2 channel it absolutely kicks butt. The effects are more than useable for practice as I see a lot of. Great reverb at least and the chorus sounds fine. I have a Roland JC so I know chorus and I like the effect in general. The other effects I haven't really used yet as it just arrived today. I have been using my Gibson Les Paul classic for the tests.

Maybe I am not fussy about sound. I live by the fact that anything can sound good guitar or amp, except the GT series from Fender and the Orange cr120 head. I dunno. I don't get the hate and I almost want to say to the people with those extreme negative opinions. Are you people nuts? Or have they actually played this? I have owned every big name modeler and solid state this generation and this is my favorite along side of the Peavy studiopro/bandit. My most recent before this was the Orange 35rt, code 25, and superchamp x2. I still have the superchamp and 35rt but maybe not for long.

Maybe it's because I got the 50 watt that this sounds so full. Also it's not as overbearingly bright like the dsl was at low to mid volumes. It's a lot heavier than I expected that's for sure but the last feat will be if it stays trouble free and holds up.

I grew up along with my friends that always had solid state amplification and some beat up crappy ones at that but they could play and write better than others I came across in my lifetime that could shred on expensive gear. I never knew what a tube amp was as we never really were gear collectors ( I was a drummer so I didn't care) and assumed all amps were made like the ones we had. I think that's why I don't find a problem with much because we played with crap for so long anything from this decade is better. Today I enjoy collecting and read up on gear opposed to back then but going back to this amp, I think it's fantastic.

cappei likes this.

20. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I have a little mg15cdr in the basement. The clean channel is fine and pedals work ok with it but the od channel doesn't really move me much.

Robins likes this.