Join Strat-Talk Today

Why do radio stations always suck?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Aug 30, 2019.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

HA! I get one hour of blues/jazz radio per day in Turkey... and I cherish it!!!!

Mansonienne and vid1900 like this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Because they all purchase un-sampled content by satellite, and serve it not knowing [or caring] what it is. Yet, the ratings agencies keep reporting each month on the percent and numbers [estimates of course] of listeners in the area per station, and that's what radio stations use to measure success. They then point to those statistics to convince advertisers to buy air time. Its laughable, given that 3 classic rock stations in the same listener area are literally playing the exact same service programming. Its very possible, its a racket at this point, given how few folks listen to radio.

I listen a lot on the daily commute, and have two stations in the area that have programming unlike any others. They sound like they are playing material from a personal collection. One has a real radio host. The other is playing b side tunes I haven't heard in decades. Its been great, and I've gleaned a good 4-6 tunes for a band that have gone over well. These two are not using the acme music service that 99% of the other US stations.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Mansonienne likes this.
  3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I like it too, but not 20 times per hour!

4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

We have no Blues or Jazz programming in our city.

The Classical station turns into Lite Jazz at night, but no musician could possibly listen to it.

5. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

My car radio never strays from NPR. Terrestrial radio as a source of music is dead to me.

6. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-Talker

"Why do radio stations always suck?"

Because they pander to the lowest common denominator, are stuffed as full of advertising as the LCD crowd will tolerate, and are generally run by people unable to hold actual, productive jobs?

(What's my prize? :))

7. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

It's been a while since I've hung out in bars, but in the 2000s streaming jukeboxes were all the rage. Only problem is that you could only pick 3-4 songs per album (just the pop songs).

8. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

i don't listen to the radio very often, but when i do...
    college radio stations are really the only ones i ever listen to.
    There is still some interesting programming going on there, imo,
    and usually no adverts either.

Mansonienne likes this.
  9. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

They don't "ALWAYS" suck, ok maybe some do but not all of them. You just have to scroll around until you find one you like, or just use Pandora or something.

10. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Bands like Nirvana and such were originally classified as Alternative or Grunge. I don't think it's quite the same style as classic rock. To me, Nirvana isn't classic rock.

11. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

On FM, the commercials will wear on you. If the DJ is doing his job, he will talk after the song begins- over part of the intro. o_O

12. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

In the U.S.A. it's because of the radio consolidation that took place after the 1996 Telecommunications Act (which was bought and paid for by the telecom industry). Now thousands of DJ jobs across the country are done by robots and/or by corporate shills. And radio programming is homogeneous across much of the country, virtually all of the radio stations are part of a chain or franchise--all offering up the same. When you're offering up the same thing to millions and millions of people, it's more important to NOT OFFEND than to make a few people really happy. They don't mind if you're bored, they just don't want you to be so mad you turn it off. Same thing happens in the cheeseburger industry, it's the reason you don't see strong flavors on the McDonalds menu.

Selecting the music selections for one station is extremely different from picking the music for a thousand radio stations. If you're programming radio in your own city--you can answer the phone or open up twitter or whatever and see what your listeners are asking for. You can step out the front door and see whether the cars driving past are playing your stuff or not--and when they are, you can see whether they're rocking out or not. You can attend local concerts and see what kinds of crowds show up for a particular act and sort of gauge whether they're something your city is going to like. The guy programming for a thousand stations can't do any of that. He can just make an educated guess--and it makes sense to try to play it safe--but IMO they've overshot safe and landed in boring. I listen to radio virtually all of the time I'm driving, but it's almost always tuned to NPR. Music City USA does not have good rock radio.

We do have a REALLY good country station here, WSM-AM, they play a huge selection including thousands of recordings they made themselves (this is the original station of the Grand Ol Opry). The DJs are local and they're creative and they routinely play stuff I've never heard before--lots of b-sides and rarities. But I tolerate country music in limited doses--and the stuff that never was a hit, sometimes that's for a reason. I don't listen to them very often.

Mansonienne likes this.
  13. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

If I were king for a day, there would be at least 2 hours every day of good rock music with no commercials. Preferably during rush hour.

14. otto6457

otto6457 Senior Stratmaster

It's a shame whats happened to radio. We have three classic rock stations. Two of them have the same playlist. (it's really quite bizarre). The other rock station has some current music, but it's mostly from the "nu metal" genera of the Linkin Park, Disturbed, Godsmack era. We have an "oldies" station. (50's and 60's). Three country stations. Two of them "current country" and one "classic country". Of course in Texas, there are several Tejano stations on every dial. But since my Spanish is terrible, I get very little out of experience. You can only take so much accordion music in one 24 hour period. The Texas Tech radio station has some interesting music from time to time. But it tends to focus more on Tech athletics and all things Texas Tech. Years ago it would play Jazz three nights a week. Now, music is not the focus of the station.

The entire rest of the dial is talk radio. Yak, yak, yak. Everybody is angry, the world is going to end, it's all a conspiracy. Then three or four commercials between each song or angry rant.

It's absolutely exhausting.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't still recall our Album Oriented Rock station, KSEL FM. They would play entire album sides. Often, an entire album with one commercial between sides. They were always playing "deep dives" into artists and playing the songs that weren't mainstream. I found so many great albums and artists because of that. I just assumed that's what radio stations did everywhere. I was spoiled very early and I still resent that station being bought out and shut down. Clear Channel came into town and purchased several stations, Then proceeded to convert them to talk radio. They now own all but three of the stations in town. So now, you hear the same five or six commercials on every blasted station in town every ten minutes.

Exhausting I tell you.

15. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I guess you can split hairs .

Are The Stooges "Punk Rock" ? - they play them on the Moldy Oldie stations

Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty is 5 years younger than Nirvana - they play it on the Moldy Oldie stations

Hurt by Johnny Cash, is it Country? Classic yet? (2002) - they play it on the Moldy Oldie stations

Enter Sandman is it Metal? - they play it on the Moldy Oldie stations

Burning Down The House is it even a song? - they play it on the Moldy Oldie stations

Pretenders 'Brass In Pocket' or Ramones 'Do you want to dance" is it New Wave? - they play it on the Moldy Oldie stations

Mansonienne likes this.
  16. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

Radio sucks because three old men own 90% of the stations in America. They play the same songs over and over so their business is predictable and profit is maximized

dirocyn and Mansonienne like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.