Join Strat-Talk Today

Why do right handed players not use their dominant hand on the fretboard?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jan 17, 2019.

1. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Haha perfect

sounds like someone is getting an extra house!

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  2. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

3. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

I am left handed but play right handed..........am I strange?????

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm left handed and play right handed. Yes, you are strange.

JustABluesGuy, Omar and Bodean like this.
  5. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Thank God for that, I wouldn't want to be seen as anything like normal. Now where's that hovercraft, it's full of eels.

6. dippah

dippah Strat-Talk Member

It always seemed to me that the fretting hand should be a nice balance of nimble and strong. If there's too much of one, it's at the expense of the other. Your dominant hand might end up being too strong and not nimble enough.

I spent my early childhood with a grandma, who as a product of her time, thought that me writing with my left hand was weird. Consequently, she kept moving the pen to my right hand. These days, I write with both hands. My left one, because it's the one that feels natural, and my right one because that's how I first learned to write. I use my left hand for most things. But when I started playing guitar, I picked it up as a right-handed player, and that's how it stayed to this day.

However, it took me years to realize that I tended to fret cowboy chords too strongly, pulling the strings out of tune. Then it took me a few more years to get out of the habit of doing so.

7. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Mark Knopfler is left handed

8. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I think this is a very good question! Unfortunately I don't know the answer.

Logically, as a right handed person, I should be using my best hand for the most complicated stuff, which is holding down chords or fingering, bending & sliding single note stuff. The job of the picking hand is relatively straight forward in comparison.

Mark Knopfler & Wilko Johnson are both lefties who play righty.

9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

It’s a great question...but some things shouldn’t be thought about......now that we’re thinking about it will we ever be able to strum and chord again....:rolleyes:

Jesse414 likes this.
  10. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Strat-Talk Member

Here's my theory. When a newbie picks up a guitar, the first thing they think about is the strumming part (watch their eyes), thus the application of their dominant hand to what's perceived as the important part. Little do they know... Generations of this led us to the state we find ourselves in today.

Me, I'm terrible with either.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

The stolen guitar I learned to play on was right handed. So were the instructions in the book that was in the bag...

piad.png

12. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My son’s name !

gwjensen likes this.
  13. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

rhythm

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Hendrix always struggled as a lefty, poor sod finished up having to use his teeth

LPBlue, dirocyn, stratman323 and 3 others like this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Old topic, with eventual conclusion. 90% of the world is righthand dominant. Given the choice, right hand folk use their right hand for greatest faculty and finer motion and control from youth. Over the ages, activities develop to take advantage of this greater faculty and control. Therefore, the pick goes in that better hand, the bow [violin] goes in that hand, banjo picks, hammers, pencils, knives, etc. In otherwords, if the dominant hand belonged on the fretboard, then the uber-majority 90% of the world would play that way - but they don't because its not the most important function in playing an instrument.

All that said, you can learn eitherway, but during youth you start using that one hand for everything, and it becomes superior at finer activities than the other, so its an advantage for the learning curve. That learning curve is less important if you are going to learn for many years. Its all important if you need to see results in a few months.

For the lifetime student, or the injured person who only has ability in one hand, it doesn't matter.

16. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

It's because the dominant right hand is better at keeping rhythm than the left hand.

17. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Because guitar look better that way round! If all us right handed folk used the dominant hand to fret then the majority of guitars would look like current lefty models.......and they only look right in the mirror!! :D

18. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Arguably, you’d want your dominant hand as the primary sound and tone generator. I.e working the strings. As someone who fingerpicks mostly, this makes sense to me, but I also think we’re much more adaptable than we sometimes think.

JustABluesGuy and Stratoskater like this.
  19. guitartwonk

Play-in-a-day is also where I started. I suppose there will be a few guys on here who can claim the same.

I inherited my copy from my dad, who'd tried (and given up, sadly) learning guitar when he was about 15. The cover was all dog-eared and it had pages missing. He'd been given it by a well-meaning aunt along with an acoustic "guitar" that was all warped out of shape and had an action of about 3 inches. No wonder he quit. I'm more stubborn than him though and persevered, yes, on the same guitar, until I saved up my pocket money to get a cheap strat copy.

Even though following the lessons in that book was tough (at the time) I have fond memories of it. :)

20. guitartwonk

Yeah, and you can really hear him struggling. Glad I'm not a southpaw.

Mansonienne likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.