Why do some bands draw 'fragrant' fans?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, May 17, 2019.

1. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Its called poetic license

2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I was into Pink Floyd long before I tasted herb. In fact, in my hardcore 70's concert going phase, I only partook at two shows, the aforementioned Rush show, and Alice Cooper. Both good shows by the way.

3. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

We frequently attend concerts at Bethel Woods which is the original location of Woodstock.
    I think the rowdiest crowd drinking and smoking herb I’ve ever seen there was Hank Williams Jr.
    Who knew?

rolandson likes this.
  4. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

The one where someone started firing a gun into the crowd- yeah, I imagine that takes the cake for scariest show you've been to.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

When I was a teen, there was a planetarium near me that showed a laser light show to dark side of the moon. Very fragrant.

6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

There's a planetarium near me that shows laser light shows to various music. One time I went there to see a laser light show with Rush music. Not fragrant at all, nobody was smoking weed.. But I think minors were allowed too, so that might have been a factor. I don't think there were many people there though, and the show was only 45 minutes or so. I thought it was cool but a bit underwhelming.

7. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

Sly & The Family Stone was a rather "hazy" show, too. Saw them in '73, couldn't see the back of the arena from the front row, the smoke was so thick.
    What a great concert, everybody showed up, and played for 2 hours.

montemerrick and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

Yep, I remember that, early 80's. Family tradition, is why he rolls smoke. I don't btw.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  9. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

You imagine correctly sir:cool:

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't really find the smell of marijuana objectionable, not like I do perfume.

I don't indulge, though I can't say I've never...for a couple years in the late sixties and back at the turn of the century when I was in chemotherapy, I was a regular user. I wouldn't hesitate if I ever choose chemo again...can't imagine doing it without...but...

Tobacco smoke on the other hand...that and stale beer. Ugh.

Before smoking in clubs disappeared, after I'd do a night in one, when I got home my guitars and amps would air out in the garage, and I'd strip out there and take a shower before crawling into bed.

If I didn't, spouse would be very unhappy. Very. Unhappy.

circles likes this.
  11. Yaralag

That’s why we need Hells Angels doing security. They’ve always done a good job. No incidents whatsoever.

circles and CalicoSkies like this.
  12. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

One time I bought a guitar from eBay and it ended up smelling heavily of cigarette smoke. I'm not sure if the smell could have come out.. I didn't have that guitar for long.

13. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

Same. Far too many idiots did not do the courtesy of removing the seeds first. :mad:

Bob the builder likes this.
  14. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

I think it definitley depends on the culture of the state you live in and how the government and general public there views recreational marijuana use. I’ve been to shows in California, and it reminded me of going to shows back home in my home New England states like Massachusetts and Maine. It’s pretty open and accepted out my way for the most part. But I know some states are more conservative around that sort of thing and in some places there’s still the stigma that if you enjoy some trees every now and then, your some kind of low-life, loser, or burn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Yaralag

I saw The Wailers in Ceasars Palace in Reno. Everyone was smoking weed inside. Surprising because Nevada is really hard on weed, at least they were then.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Ha! I thought the same thing.

In which case, the Dead fans would undoubtedly have the most BO.

17. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

I smell weed outside Wal-Mart these days...

As far as concerts, everyone I went to in the 70's reeked of weed. Recently Both the Roger Waters and David Gilmour shows.

I didn't smell any at the Robin Trower show, but it was at the Wiltern and you can't get away with smoking in there...

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

THATS a serious problem! Good thing security wasn’t distracted with weed smoking.... and the show went on! That’s a hell of a story.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah I was surprised at the amount of guys they had doing security, and how fast they got him. I only saw the guys hand above everybody else’s heads and he appeared to only get the one shot off. But security roughed him up real good while they were dragging him away toward the exit. It was rather shocking to see. I was up on the first balcony, and the shot took place on the floor below.

20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

First concert I took my son to, when he was maybe 14 but already tall, was an outdoor fest. When Chon started to play, a group of college age kids turned around, eyed me up and down, then shrugged and sparked one up.

I had no idea whether to be happy not to be seen as a narc, or sad over the disrespect. It did give me an opening later to talk to the kid and stuff so...

3bolt79 likes this.